New Plant!

TheLetterAfterP(Q)

Avid Member
I've recieved another BEAUTIFUL looking plant. I would love to incorporate it into a build, however I need to be sure it is completely safe. Anyone know what this plant is??? I was thinking marble queen pothos but the more i look at it, the less I see it.
20190203_030109.jpg
20190203_034211.jpg

Yeah that is what I am seeing as well. Beautiful plant! You can easily cut down the root ball on these to create multiple plants. I got one giant pothos and cut it down to two plants for the enclosure being careful to make sure the long strands were included in each side of my slice down the middle. Did not freak on the plant one bit. I actually think it stimulated growth because it had more room in the new pots.

Awesome! I was really hoping so. Thank you both.
@Beman what soul do you use
I use an organic soil. I have used a few different ones. If you end up with a Veiled you will have to cover the top of the soil of all your plants using like 1 inch or bigger river rock. They like to eat it and can become impacted lol. This gets to be a little tedious when you are dealing with the ones that vine.

Do you know the brand name? I was using an organic soil. But it started having drainage problems and creating a white mold on the top layer.
So I use these in the bottom of all my planter I put in about 2 inches for drainage. https://www.bigalspets.com/zoo-med-...MI4NuUtI6g4AIVTdbACh3ZPQq_EAQYBSABEgJIYPD_BwE
I have used organic soil from the nursery but recently I switched to this because I have to be so careful with him eating dirt I did not like the styrofoam type white things in the organic soil. I am a worry wart so the potential of him getting a piece freaked me out. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-eco-e...MI4NuUtI6g4AIVTdbACh3ZPQq_EAQYBCABEgKP-PD_BwE

I have not had any issues with mold or plant growth using the hydroballs for drainage and the eco earth for soil.

So I use these in the bottom of all my planter I put in about 2 inches for drainage. https://www.bigalspets.com/zoo-med-...MI4NuUtI6g4AIVTdbACh3ZPQq_EAQYBSABEgJIYPD_BwE
I have used organic soil from the nursery but recently I switched to this because I have to be so careful with him eating dirt I did not like the styrofoam type white things in the organic soil. I am a worry wart so the potential of him getting a piece freaked me out. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-eco-earth-loose-coconut/dp/123772?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Zoo Med&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4NuUtI6g4AIVTdbACh3ZPQq_EAQYBCABEgKP-PD_BwE

I have not had any issues with mold or plant growth using the hydroballs for drainage and the eco earth for soil.
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I had learned about hydroballs a while back, but figured they would only work in a bioactive set up. I'll defidnelty add some to my plants when I repot them. Thank you @Beman !

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I had learned about hydroballs a while back, but figured they would only work in a bioactive set up. I'll defidnelty add some to my plants when I repot them. Thank you @Beman !
Your welcome! I find that they work really well. Also I like that they are clay adding in natural minerals to the soil. I have had my pothos planted with this combo for 6 weeks with no die off or mold of any kind and the drainage is perfect. I drilled two small holes in the bottom of my planters and it has worked quite well for me.

Your welcome! I find that they work really well. Also I like that they are clay adding in natural minerals to the soil. I have had my pothos planted with this combo for 6 weeks with no die off or mold of any kind and the drainage is perfect. I drilled two small holes in the bottom of my planters and it has worked quite well for me.
Sounds great!! I'll defidently be trying this out. Do you do anything else to your plants?

Sounds great!! I'll defidently be trying this out. Do you do anything else to your plants?
Yes, I do strip them down to the roots removing all prior soil in case there are any bugs in the soil. Then I do a warm water and dawn dish soap cleaning to all the leaves to remove any prior pesticide spray. Fill the sink with the mixture dunking the top of the plant ( I put the roots in a zip lock baggie or plastic cling wrap them). So I dip and wash off all the leaves and stems really well pull it out and leave on a towel for 10 minutes then repeat 2 more times. Then empty the sink cleaning out well with hot water to remove soap. Refill with just warm water and rinse the plant thoroughly then lay out on a clean towel until air dried then plant.
Keep in mind if plants have spider mites this process did not take care of them for me. I ended up getting an umbrella with spider mites and did not know. I did this process to clean the plant. A week later I found them because I could see the webbing. At that point it was sitting on the shelf with about $70 worth of other Cham safe plants and the mites spread to the others. I choose to just get rid of all infected plants and clean all pots with a bleach water solution then air dried.
So really be careful what you are bringing home. Spider mites are tiny and leave behind tiny webbing on the underside of leaves and where the stems meet. They are hardy as hell and do not like to die. They multiply very quickly. The only thing I could find to actually get rid of them was a pesticide fogger which is not safe for Chams. I felt like my skin was crawling for days after lol So nasty!

@Beman Thank you for so much detail, now I can CLEAN clean my plants.
I did see your post on the spider mites... CREEPY! I hope Beman is doing great! I will definitely be sure to keep a close eye on plants I bring home, thank you.

@Beman Thank you for so much detail, now I can CLEAN clean my plants.
I did see your post on the spider mites... CREEPY! I hope Beman is doing great! I will definitely be sure to keep a close eye on plants I bring home, thank you.
Your welcome. Yeah the spider mite thing freaked me the hell out. So freaking disgusting. Beman is doing great and I have not seen any sign of them being spread from him to his enclosure however I am going to be extra cautious and toss everything from his current home rather then using anything in his new enclosure. I am probably being more cautious then need be though :p

Back
Top Bottom