new owner would like some advice

moody232002

hello everyone i am new to this forum and have a slight concern with my female veiled.
i have taken the advice from the how to ask for help and filled in the answers so i will copy and paste it in here.thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and hopefully i will get an answer
Cage Info:
• Cage Type – 38 gallon mesh flexarium
• Lighting – 60 watt spot bulb plus 100 watt sun med basking light both in clamp lights .
• 10.0 repti glow uvb/uva strip light
• Temperature – basking area between 85-95 degrees falling to around70-75 degrees at the cooler end of the enclosure. Lights and heating turned off at night she is on a 12 hour cycle
• Humidity – levels are around 50% I mist her and her enclosure at least six times a day with a spray bottle but am in the process of buying an exo terra fogger
• Plants – she has a live fuschia as a main plant with a fake vine she likes to sit on plus fake vines for extra walkways

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon – veiled(yemen)chameleon approx 2 months old female,ive had her almost three weeks
• Handling – haven’t overly handled her as she is still settling in but she comes to the door now and climbs out for a fuss
• Feeding – she had an enormous appetite when I first got her but she settled to around 10 crickets and worms gut loaded with vegetables and fruits,I am going to try a commercial gut load to see if it helps stimulate her again as she has lost her appetite a bit now
• Supplements – I have been dusting all her food with nutrabol and using chameleon dust vitamins twice a week
• Watering – I use a spray bottle at present and she will lap the drops as I spray if I don’t see her drink I offer her water from a plastic syringe(minus the needle) which she will eagerly take at times and ignore at others
• Fecal Description – her droppings are moist brown with a pure white urate
• History – no other information as yet
• Current Problem – my problem is that she seems very healthy and active she never sleeps during the day and eyes are like little darts always on the move and she has a perfect twelve hour cycle.However the last couple of days she doesn’t seem very intersested in her food she looks at it and you can she she wants it but then changes her mind.the last two mornings she comes to the front of the cage and makes movements like she is trying to be sick,her abdomen contracts and her mouth is open and she makes a sound,her mouth is clear and a lovely pink colour.after she has done this she is fine for the rest of the day.As a new keeper should I be worried?
thank you

she may just be hissing at you.? the temps are pretty high at the basking area for a 2 month old. move it to like 80-90F maybe lower.

i didn't think of that i thought they puffed up their beard when they hiss and it would account for why she only does it the once..ill reduce the basking temp thank you for replying to me

I second the temps drop-you don't want anything higher than 80 for a 2 month old. For a 38 Flex you can creqate a perfect basking spot with a 60 watt lightbulb. The 100 watt is too much.

Also-if Nutrobal is a vite/mineral supplement you don't want to be dusting at every feeding. You should be dusting 5X a week with a phosphorous free D3 free calcium powder.

ty Julirs i have moved the lamps to cool it down at the moment it is sitting at 75, thanks for both your advice i did a lot of research before i got her but there is so much conflicting advice i'd hate to do anything that makes her unhappy.do you think her deplated appetite would be to do with incorrect temperatures?

they are small crickets approx 4mm i've also just noticed signs of a shed that weren't visible before so i think this could also be a factor

ty Julirs i have moved the lamps to cool it down at the moment it is sitting at 75, thanks for both your advice i did a lot of research before i got her but there is so much conflicting advice i'd hate to do anything that makes her unhappy.do you think her deplated appetite would be to do with incorrect temperatures?

This is the bible for veiled care:
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your girl!

Also a note

The 10.0 repti glow uvb/uva strip light, is high for chameleons. 10.0 are usually used with desert herps like beardies. Although if the light is a fair distance away from the top of the cage it may not be so bad.

I suggest you downgrade to a 5.0 tropical, but thats just my opinion.

-koz

Also a note

The 10.0 repti glow uvb/uva strip light, is high for chameleons. 10.0 are usually used with desert herps like beardies. Although if the light is a fair distance away from the top of the cage it may not be so bad.

I suggest you downgrade to a 5.0 tropical, but thats just my opinion.

-koz

On a dark mesh Reptarium/Flexarium I highly suggest the 10.0. Early on we ran some tests on how much UVB the darker mesh blocked.

I agree re the heat
I think a 10.0 is okay if its going through very heavy mesh.
I agree light calcium dusting on all crickets, D3 and vitamins once a week for youngsters, bi-weekly for adults.
Reduction in appetite could also possibly just be she is bored with crickets. How much is she actually eating now?

thanks kosmo , i have it on the outside of the flexarium about 6 inches away from where she basks do you think this is too close i welcome all advice given

i was thinking that too sandrachameleon but since she started shedding this afternoon her appetite seems to be returning.
she has a supply of fruitflies for her pleasure and entertainment usually she will eat up to ten crickets and worms but the last two days she wasnt really interested and was only eating mabee five at best

Back
Top Bottom