New Owner: Veiled Cham (Intro)

EARepLovers

Greetings,

as the title says, ill be a new owner as of tomorrow, today i've setup the cage as best as I could, so everything would be set when I go pick up the cham. I used to own a iguana, so im kind of familair with reptiles and their specific temperatures and diets..

Couple questions and concerns...

Im not sure, what gender will be available for me, but im shooting for a male, some of the stores iv'ed got in mind have some young/mid age chams. I've setup the 16 x 16 x 30 chameleon kit, and added a "Split-Leaf Philodendron" plant, along with some branches and tree vines the kit came with.. Ill be adding more stuff soon.

Questions:
1. If i get a young male / mid age male, will the 5.0 UVB (REPTISUN 13watt fluorescent) bulb be ok? or will I need jump to 10.0 and what are the differences, 10.0 = hotter bulb? and is that my only choice? or are there better bulbs... since the cage isn't that big, im not looking to have the long tube kind, until my cham gets bigger and i have a bigger cage.

2. Kit came with a 60w daylight UVA blue reptile bulb for heat, would this be ok for now? until he grows and I get a bigger cage ? color does it matter ?

3. I chose Split-Leak Philodendron plant for its enclosure, done my research and I saw this was listed as a good plant to use for the cham. Before adding it, i rinse it in the shower with warm water and soap, in case it had anything harmful on it. (Lowe's) it did have some white residue on it before washing, but Im not sure if it was dried up water or something else. After washing I wiped most of the leaves with Lysol Wipes.

Concerns:
1a - Room temp stays at about 75-78 during the day and night, Ive been monitoring the temps since i set up the enclosure at difference locations in the cage.

Basking spot - 83F - 90F (if the a/c kicks on, it drops to low 80s, when its off it goes up to 90)

Middle location of the cage (cooling area) - 75F

Humidity - without the plant, it stayed at 54, after i was done washing it, it went up to 60 but thats it, I have a towel behind the cage, soon i will do the shower curtain trick, which might help me go higher than 60. since the plant isn't wet anymore it dropped back to 54. What is the recommended humidity ?

Lighting
Would a black uv bulb hurt a cham? the bulb that make colors glow.....?

Would 2 UVB bulbs be too much for a cham ?

here are my enclosure pics and the temps... any tips and pointers i'd appreciate it...

GTwhf1j.png

tmZY6bs.png

pcCiwgY.png

Branch setup without the plant
yOeT3ZS.png

Temp for cooling area (Notice the prob in above pic)
izMAvPM.png

Basking location & temp + humidi
LzC0Egp.png

UoaxNVh.png

Plant
I1cCcp8.png

You’ll need to replace the uvb bulb with a linear t5ho bulb soon, (also more diversity in perches (sticks from yard) do some additional horizontal ones. Read up on basic husbandry, supplementation and hydration. These are important reads. Enclosure is nicely filled in but I’d getten different circumference perches in there for your Cham to have variety, also make sure there’s a great basking spot and also some good “hiding places”...

Looks nice. Id recommend quite a few more perches.... and vines... they should have the choice to reach every height and angle in the enclosure

thanks guys !!! all tips are noted

today is the day! we are out trying to pick out the perfect male for its new home..

we also decided to purchase a exo terra repti glo 5.0 26w bulb instead of using the reptisun 5.0 13w since everyone says it’s harmful to the cham eyes we wasn’t sure if we had the new version or old.

You need to change the uvb compact with a linear t5ho bulb and fixture it’s the compact bulbs period that are bad for thier eyes ...good luck with you new pet pal

Attachments

• D31BDE04-4A00-40C2-8022-2D1A3529B68F.png
    D31BDE04-4A00-40C2-8022-2D1A3529B68F.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 78
thanks eventually i’ll get a linear bulb but that’s not in my price range at the moment and you still have o get a fixture for it. I understand this is the best option, but with all my research, CFL bulbs are ok to use no? why would they sell kits with them or sell them at all.. wouldn’t that be a law suit if CFL bulbs was harmful ?

It’s just the advice given here by the experts, most say they’re ok very short term...but don’t offer enough uvb and can be bad for the animals eyes..I was just passing on the info...good luck to you and your new Cham. Enjoy it, it’s a great hobby and a great pet(y)

Welcome home our new cham!!!

Had trouble finding a male, tried multiple stores they all had females. One store had a 1 year old male but he was grumpy really big though so he was out last resort.

And finially our last stop we found a baby male ! and he was quit feisty with the store employee getting him out the cage. Me and my girlfriend had trouble deciding if we wanted a baby or a mid baby, so we decided to get the baby.

No name yet, but here he is

Attachments

• 64CD3517-75E9-45E8-885B-5D9A78CF8D10.jpeg
    64CD3517-75E9-45E8-885B-5D9A78CF8D10.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 39AD1464-BAA3-46CF-8215-D8746158C916.jpeg
    39AD1464-BAA3-46CF-8215-D8746158C916.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 119
Welcome home our new cham!!!

Had trouble finding a male, tried multiple stores they all had females. One store had a 1 year old male but he was grumpy really big though so he was out last resort.

And finially our last stop we found a baby male ! and he was quit feisty with the store employee getting him out the cage. Me and my girlfriend had trouble deciding if we wanted a baby or a mid baby, so we decided to get the baby.

No name yet, but here he is
Congratulations, can we review your husbandry? Just want to make sure your cham is getting a solid start. Copy and paste your answers here and the more picks the better.
Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Congratulations, can we review your husbandry? Just want to make sure your cham is getting a solid start. Copy and paste your answers here and the more picks the better.
Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Veiled / Male / not sure but from the looks couple weeks old / got it today 8/18/2018

Not at all because today was the first day

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Crickets / 10-12 a day / adding calcium without D3 everyday and Vitamins every two weeks

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Repti Calcium & Zoo Med Reptivite / no schedule as of yet but i plan on feeding first thing in the morning when lights come on and later on that evening (7 hours apart)

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Today after i got him i mist the cage by using a spray bottle with distilled water, i plan on misting the cage twice a day for 5-10 min.

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

his fecal was white coming out and then turned brown, hasn’t been tested yet just got him today

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

No history avail / petsmart was the store i got him & store had him for only 2 weeks

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

screen 16 x 16 x 30 (Repti Breeze chameleon kit)

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

UVB - Repti Glow by Exo 5.0 26w (100)
UVA - Reptisun bulb (blue) 60w that came with the kit

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Basking spot - (82F - 92F)
haven’t tested overnight temps yet, but ambient temp stays above 72F

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Humidity - (70 - 90)
Misting twice a day for 5-10 min
Shower curtain covering, rear, left and right side of cage
Towel covering the cage in the rear
Digital Hydrometer

Live plant - SPLIT-LEAF PHILODENDRON
Artificial's

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

24-26" inches off the floor

Cage sits right next to my computer desk, which is in the living room of my home, right next to the cage is the balcony window, and above is two vents, 1 stays open other stays closed.

Eastcoast - DC/MD

1. When feeding, not sure if my cham will see the crickets at the bottom of the cage, due to the flowers etc....

2. If I wanted to add a black glowing light that makes fluorescent colors glow, not sure if this will harm my cham or not, dont have a purpose to use it but to only have a couple things glow in his cage for looks only.

3. Knowing the exact age, of my cham since the store had 0 to none info on him except they had him only for two weeks.

4. How long could I use CFL bulbs without harming my charm? Would adding more CFL bulbs around the cage, would do any harm ? maybe 2-3 ? until I can afford a linear bulb and fixture.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

MORE PICS ARE AT THIS LINK
https://www.chameleonforums.com/posts/1429913/

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:

Veiled / Male / not sure but from the looks couple weeks old / got it today 8/18/2018

Not at all because today was the first day

Crickets / 10-12 a day / adding calcium without D3 everyday and Vitamins every two weeks

Repti Calcium & Zoo Med Reptivite / no schedule as of yet but i plan on feeding first thing in the morning when lights come on and later on that evening (7 hours apart)

Today after i got him i mist the cage by using a spray bottle with distilled water, i plan on misting the cage twice a day for 5-10 min.

his fecal was white coming out and then turned brown, hasn’t been tested yet just got him today

No history avail / petsmart was the store i got him & store had him for only 2 weeks

Cage Info:

screen 16 x 16 x 30 (Repti Breeze chameleon kit)

UVB - Repti Glow by Exo 5.0 26w (100)
UVA - Reptisun bulb (blue) 60w that came with the kit

Basking spot - (82F - 92F)
haven’t tested overnight temps yet, but ambient temp stays above 72F

Humidity - (70 - 90)
Misting twice a day for 5-10 min
Shower curtain covering, rear, left and right side of cage
Towel covering the cage in the rear
Digital Hydrometer

Live plant - SPLIT-LEAF PHILODENDRON
Artificial's

24-26" inches off the floor

Cage sits right next to my computer desk, which is in the living room of my home, right next to the cage is the balcony window, and above is two vents, 1 stays open other stays closed.

Eastcoast - DC/MD

1. When feeding, not sure if my cham will see the crickets at the bottom of the cage, due to the flowers etc....

2. If I wanted to add a black glowing light that makes fluorescent colors glow, not sure if this will harm my cham or not, dont have a purpose to use it but to only have a couple things glow in his cage for looks only.

3. Knowing the exact age, of my cham since the store had 0 to none info on him except they had him only for two weeks.

4. How long could I use CFL bulbs without harming my charm? Would adding more CFL bulbs around the cage, would do any harm ? maybe 2-3 ? until I can afford a linear bulb and fixture.

--------------

Pictures:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/posts/1429913/

Do yourself an enormous favor and fill out the help form: it’ll get you some SOLID AND EXPERT advice for both you and your Chams health and success...somewhat delicate these creatures have VERY SPECIFIC needs and these guys are so Nice getting you over the “hump” of good Cham practices and keeping. They helped me immensely in the beginning! Congrats on your new baby Cham. Start a “ name my Cham” thread if you want some very cool idea, there’s 1000s and 1000s of people using this forum. Glad your friend arrived safely (y)

Do yourself an enormous favor and fill out the help form: it’ll get you some SOLID AND EXPERT advice for both you and your Chams health and success...somewhat delicate these creatures have VERY SPECIFIC needs and these guys are so Nice getting you over the “hump” of good Cham practices and keeping. They helped me immensely in the beginning! Congrats on your new baby Cham. Start a “ name my Cham” thread if you want some very cool idea, there’s 1000s and 1000s of people using this forum. Glad your friend arrived safely (y)

i thought i did already lol the post up above

I think your confused here, were asking what supplements you will be dusting your feeders with and how often...

Back
Top Bottom