New owner trying to be better.

OdeToJanis

Hey guys! I'm quite new to the world of chameleon husbandry. I got her Sunday from Petco(I know, their conditions are horrible and I get sad every time I walk down the reptile aisle, but I just had to save her.) Her name is Janis :]. I got her cage all set up, I spray in the mornings and in the afternoons for 2-5 minutes, I have a feeder cup set up and dust the crickets that go in the cups with the vitamin powder without D3, I haven't used the powder with D3 yet because idk if its time yet, I put some superworms in there and she loves to hunt them along with the loose crickets I put in there. I have a little dripper set up and that gives the live plant in there which is a golden pothos. She loves to explore and get herself into situations that literally terrify me and I want to go in there and help but I don't wanna scare her. I don't have that little sheet to fill out but as soon as I see it, i'll add it to this thread. I have a couple of questions and i'm sure more will arise once this threat gets going but my main questions right now is: How do I clean her cage without disturbing her seeing how she's so new to my care? How do I go about getting her out if she hides every time I go in there to spray or put crickets in her cup? I'll post pictures once I figure how to do that lol. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I've learned so much from this site and spent a gross amount of money already lol but she deserves every thing. Thank you all for the wealth of information on this site and I can't wait to start discussing better husbandry.

Cage cleaning is very rare, they only poop a few times a week, and it normally just hits the bottom of the cage and you can spot clean.

TO get her out generally you just leave the door open if its a repibreeze, and maybe droop a few vines or branches for her to climb out and onto. Her personality should change drastically once she is out of "her" tree. Kinda a rule is never put your hand in "her" tree. If you go in after her, and shes not on the edge, you will not have a good relationship.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female, 1-3 months, honestly no idea but she's little bity. She's been in my care since Sunday.
  • Handling - I've handled her a total of 3 times since I've had her. I know that's a lot for her being so new but I made the mistake of acquiring her then setting her cage and making little changes here and there but I think I've got it pretty good now.
  • Feeding - I feed her crickets that are gut-loaded with carrots and sweet potato slices and superworms 1-2 times a week. 8-10 crickets in the morning before work and 6-8 crickets in the afternoon when I get off. She always cleans her plate.
  • Supplements - I use repti calcium without D3 and I dust them lightly before I put them in her cup and cage. I haven't used vitamins yet cause I read somewhere that since she's so young, she doesn't need them just yet.
  • Watering - I spray 2-5 minutes twice a day. I work 12 hour shifts so I always worry if she's got enough water so I might be over doing it. She also has a little dripper that drips from the top of her plant and runs down the plant and goes everywhere. I've seen her drink a couple times from the tube and catching water droplets. I've also added reptisafe water cleaner to the little dripper. It takes about 3 water bottles of distilled water to fill and I had the appropriate amount of drops.
  • Fecal Description - I've only seen one dropping and it was regular poop color and the urate was white with touches of yellow. I haven't brought her to the vet because I don't see anything alarming or have much knowledge to be out on the lookout for.
  • History - None that I know, she seems happy and healthy and very curious about everything.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have screened cage with plastic shower curtain covering the left, ride, and back side of the cage to help with humidity. Its the Zoomed Repti Breeze chameleon kit cage, 16x16x30.
  • Lighting - I have the Zilla Slimline tropical fixture T8 UVB reptile light along with the combo light that came with the cage kit. I use the UVB light during the day for 12 hours, maybe more depending on the my schedule, and the basking light that came with the cage kit. At night I turn all lights off and turn the ceramic heater light on in case she gets to cold.
  • Temperature - Basking temp is anywhere between 85-90, the middle of the cage is between 70-80, and the lower part of the cage is between 65-75. Night time temps drop down to around 70 in the middle but she has the ceramic heater. I have the temp/humidity combo reader.
  • Humidity - Humidity stays around 45-55. When I spray, it spikes up to 70-75, then lowers while the cage dries.
  • Plants - I have a golden pothos which helps a lot, along with fake plants and vines and fake and real sticks. The plant soil was replaced with organic soil and about an inch or two on the top is covered with river rocks.
  • Placement - It's located in the room on top of my shelf. There is a fan on at all times and an AC unit that doesn't go below 72 but is only on when I get warm and is off when I'm at work. The whole cage itself is about 3 feet off the floor.
  • Location - Located in south Louisiana so its surprising I've had issues with humidity lol

My little baby. That feeder cup always gets the business lol

Attachments

• janis.jpg
    janis.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 71
  • janis 2.jpg
    janis 2.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 69
  • janis 3.jpg
    janis 3.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 107
Cage cleaning is very rare, they only poop a few times a week, and it normally just hits the bottom of the cage and you can spot clean.

TO get her out generally you just leave the door open if its a repibreeze, and maybe droop a few vines or branches for her to climb out and onto. Her personality should change drastically once she is out of "her" tree. Kinda a rule is never put your hand in "her" tree. If you go in after her, and shes not on the edge, you will not have a good relationship.
An adult maybe but my 5 month old veiled male leaves me presents everyday! Sometimes 2!

That plastic black piece that comes with cage kit, is that a bad? I read it was but what else do I use? The shelf is slightly off level so the water drains itself out of the cage but I'm worried about bacteria.

[*]Feeding - I feed her crickets that are gut-loaded with carrots and sweet potato slices and superworms 1-2 times a week. 8-10 crickets in the morning before work and 6-8 crickets in the afternoon when I get off. She always cleans her plate.

Stick to just feeding in the morning.

[*]Supplements - I use repti calcium without D3 and I dust them lightly before I put them in her cup and cage. I haven't used vitamins yet cause I read somewhere that since she's so young, she doesn't need them just yet.

Nope not too young. Calcium everyday like you have been, Calcium + D3 once every 2 weeks, multivitamin once every 2 weeks.

[*]Watering - I spray 2-5 minutes twice a day. I work 12 hour shifts so I always worry if she's got enough water so I might be over doing it. She also has a little dripper that drips from the top of her plant and runs down the plant and goes everywhere. I've seen her drink a couple times from the tube and catching water droplets. I've also added reptisafe water cleaner to the little dripper. It takes about 3 water bottles of distilled water to fill and I had the appropriate amount of drops.

Save up or invest in a auto mister. Trust me on this one! We here recommend the Mistking but a Monsoon Solo is fine for a single chameleon keeper.

[*]Fecal Description - I've only seen one dropping and it was regular poop color and the urate was white with touches of yellow. I haven't brought her to the vet because I don't see anything alarming or have much knowledge to be out on the lookout for.

You're aiming for all white but a little yellow is fine.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I have screened cage with plastic shower curtain covering the left, ride, and back side of the cage to help with humidity. Its the Zoomed Repti Breeze chameleon kit cage, 16x16x30.

You'll want to upgrade to a 2x2x4 as she gets bigger.
  • Lighting - I have the Zilla Slimline tropical fixture T8 UVB reptile light along with the combo light that came with the cage kit. I use the UVB light during the day for 12 hours, maybe more depending on the my schedule, and the basking light that came with the cage kit. At night I turn all lights off and turn the ceramic heater light on in case she gets to cold.

Invest in a timer. Chameleons are very punctual and love schedules.
  • Temperature - Basking temp is anywhere between 85-90, the middle of the cage is between 70-80, and the lower part of the cage is between 65-75. Night time temps drop down to around 70 in the middle but she has the ceramic heater. I have the temp/humidity combo reader.

Try to stay at 85* for basking spot at her age. Invest in a temp gun. You can find them at autoparts stores or Harbor Freight.

That plastic black piece that comes with cage kit, is that a bad? I read it was but what else do I use? The shelf is slightly off level so the water drains itself out of the cage but I'm worried about bacteria.
I clean my Chams cage out daily. He doesn't seem to mind and your girl will get there too. I'd put her at 2-3 months old. I just use paper towels and ZooMed Wipeout to clean the PVC floor

[*]Feeding - I feed her crickets that are gut-loaded with carrots and sweet potato slices and superworms 1-2 times a week. 8-10 crickets in the morning before work and 6-8 crickets in the afternoon when I get off. She always cleans her plate.

Stick to just feeding in the morning.

[*]Supplements - I use repti calcium without D3 and I dust them lightly before I put them in her cup and cage. I haven't used vitamins yet cause I read somewhere that since she's so young, she doesn't need them just yet.

Nope not too young. Calcium everyday like you have been, Calcium + D3 once every 2 weeks, multivitamin once every 2 weeks.

[*]Watering - I spray 2-5 minutes twice a day. I work 12 hour shifts so I always worry if she's got enough water so I might be over doing it. She also has a little dripper that drips from the top of her plant and runs down the plant and goes everywhere. I've seen her drink a couple times from the tube and catching water droplets. I've also added reptisafe water cleaner to the little dripper. It takes about 3 water bottles of distilled water to fill and I had the appropriate amount of drops.

Save up or invest in a auto mister. Trust me on this one! We here recommend the Mistking but a Monsoon Solo is fine for a single chameleon keeper.

[*]Fecal Description - I've only seen one dropping and it was regular poop color and the urate was white with touches of yellow. I haven't brought her to the vet because I don't see anything alarming or have much knowledge to be out on the lookout for.

You're aiming for all white but a little yellow is fine.

Cage Info:

You'll want to upgrade to a 2x2x4 as she gets bigger.

Invest in a timer. Chameleons are very punctual and love schedules.

Try to stay at 85* for basking spot at her age. Invest in a temp gun. You can find them at autoparts stores or Harbor Freight.
Such good information, thank you so much!
I thought young chams needed more food? Whenever she finishes off the cup, she sits in and stares at me like "say bruh, feed your master" and I'm bit of a softy so I always give her more. So try to be more restrictive with feedings?

I'll definitely start adding vitamins and D3 then.

I'm currently saving up for the mistking and will get it as soon as I can.

She has plenty of watering options so I just assume she'll drink when she's thirsty. The way the dripper is set up, it moves leaves and drips within eye view of her basking spot and she's always watching it so she's gotta know that's where to get water from. I'm hoping any way lol.

Once she starts growing, I'll get the medium sized dragon strand cage. That way that'll be her home and the cage she's in now will be her summer home outside. Ya know, when ever she decides she doesn't hate me. All in due time.

I'll get a timer as soon as I get paid and a temp gun. If only money was everlasting.

Thank you again!

• Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, female, 1-3 months, honestly no idea but she's little bity. She's been in my care since Sunday.
  • Handling - I've handled her a total of 3 times since I've had her. I know that's a lot for her being so new but I made the mistake of acquiring her then setting her cage and making little changes here and there but I think I've got it pretty good now.
  • Feeding - I feed her crickets that are gut-loaded with carrots and sweet potato slices and superworms 1-2 times a week. 8-10 crickets in the morning before work and 6-8 crickets in the afternoon when I get off. She always cleans her plate.
  • Supplements - I use repti calcium without D3 and I dust them lightly before I put them in her cup and cage. I haven't used vitamins yet cause I read somewhere that since she's so young, she doesn't need them just yet.
  • Watering - I spray 2-5 minutes twice a day. I work 12 hour shifts so I always worry if she's got enough water so I might be over doing it. She also has a little dripper that drips from the top of her plant and runs down the plant and goes everywhere. I've seen her drink a couple times from the tube and catching water droplets. I've also added reptisafe water cleaner to the little dripper. It takes about 3 water bottles of distilled water to fill and I had the appropriate amount of drops.
  • Fecal Description - I've only seen one dropping and it was regular poop color and the urate was white with touches of yellow. I haven't brought her to the vet because I don't see anything alarming or have much knowledge to be out on the lookout for.
  • History - None that I know, she seems happy and healthy and very curious about everything.

Cage Info:
  • Humidity - Humidity stays around 45-55. When I spray, it spikes up to 70-75, then lowers while the cage dries.
  • Plants - I have a golden pothos which helps a lot, along with fake plants and vines and fake and real sticks. The plant soil was replaced with organic soil and about an inch or two on the top is covered with river rocks.
  • Placement - It's located in the room on top of my shelf. There is a fan on at all times and an AC unit that doesn't go below 72 but is only on when I get warm and is off when I'm at work. The whole cage itself is about 3 feet off the floor.
  • Location - Located in south Louisiana so its surprising I've had issues with humidity lol

Camo gave you some very good advice already, but I do have one thing to add: I would strongly encourage you to stop using the ceramic heat emitter at night. Temperature drops are actually quite important to chameleon health and your temps are no where near too cold for her. Unless it dips below 50F, your cham will be significantly better off without additional heat at night (y)

I clean my Chams cage out daily. He doesn't seem to mind and your girl will get there too. I'd put her at 2-3 months old. I just use paper towels and ZooMed Wipeout to clean the PVC floor
So you line the bottom with paper towels? I'm wanting to replace that black mat but have no idea what to use.

Such good information, thank you so much!
I thought young chams needed more food? Whenever she finishes off the cup, she sits in and stares at me like "say bruh, feed your master" and I'm bit of a softy so I always give her more. So try to be more restrictive with feedings?

I'll definitely start adding vitamins and D3 then.

I'm currently saving up for the mistking and will get it as soon as I can.

She has plenty of watering options so I just assume she'll drink when she's thirsty. The way the dripper is set up, it moves leaves and drips within eye view of her basking spot and she's always watching it so she's gotta know that's where to get water from. I'm hoping any way lol.

Once she starts growing, I'll get the medium sized dragon strand cage. That way that'll be her home and the cage she's in now will be her summer home outside. Ya know, when ever she decides she doesn't hate me. All in due time.

I'll get a timer as soon as I get paid and a temp gun. If only money was everlasting.

Thank you again!
No I didn't say restrict her feeding just stick to feeding in the morning. Give her as much food as she will eat at this age!

Camo gave you some very good advice already, but I do have one thing to add: I would strongly encourage you to stop using the ceramic heat emitter at night. Temperature drops are actually quite important to chameleon health and your temps are no where near too cold for her. Unless it dips below 50F, your cham will be significantly better off without additional heat at night (y)

Gotcha! I'll start doing that. When should I use the ceramic heater? Or was it a waste of money?

To add on to the feeding only in the morning comment: the reason this is important is because chams need ample basking time in order to digest their food properly. Feeding too late in the day can leave undigested food in their stomachs, which is no good. So keep feeding as many crickets as you are, but restrict the feeding time to only once per day in the morning.

As for the bottom of the enclosure, paper towels are acceptable but need to be changed out religiously every single day. Bare bottom enclosures are typically recommended, unless you want to go the bioactive route (which is a whole 'nother monster, but worth it). Most people have some sort of drainage system set up to mitigate the copious amount of water!

And hey, yanno, the ceramic heater may not have been a waste. You never know when you may need it in an emergency! As of right now, though, you have no use for it.

Back
Top Bottom