New owner trying to be better.

And because you've been such a great taker of constructive criticism I will leave you with this.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/archive-season-1/
If you're cleaning, riding in the car, whatever it maybe give this a listen. Don't let the name fool you it's not just for chameleon breeders but for new chameleon keepers like yourself. A lot of awesome knowledge from an awesome man Bill Strand. He's kind of like a Chameleon God around here.

To add on to the feeding only in the morning comment: the reason this is important is because chams need ample basking time in order to digest their food properly. Feeding too late in the day can leave undigested food in their stomachs, which is no good. So keep feeding as many crickets as you are, but restrict the feeding time to only once per day in the morning.

As for the bottom of the enclosure, paper towels are acceptable but need to be changed out religiously every single day. Bare bottom enclosures are typically recommended, unless you want to go the bioactive route (which is a whole 'nother monster, but worth it). Most people have some sort of drainage system set up to mitigate the copious amount of water!

And hey, yanno, the ceramic heater may not have been a waste. You never know when you may need it in an emergency! As of right now, though, you have no use for it.

I'm picking up what you're putting down. I've read about the bioactive route and nah lol. With all the other information I've been soaking in, like you said, that's a beast for another day. Maybe when I get the dragon strand. And the water seems to be draining well out of the corner of the cage but if starts flooding in there, I'll probably make a new thread. And yeah I'll definitely save it for super cold nights. But for now, I'll put it away.

Thank you!

And because you've been such a great taker of constructive criticism I will leave you with this.
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/archive-season-1/
If you're cleaning, riding in the car, whatever it maybe give this a listen. Don't let the name fool you it's not just for chameleon breeders but for new chameleon keepers like yourself. A lot of awesome knowledge from an awesome man Bill Strand. He's kind of like a Chameleon God around here.

I'll definitely give this a listen as soon as I'm able.

Thank you so much :]

In season 3 there are about 3 or 4 episodes dedicated to the veiled chameleon. Also because you got a female get ready for a lay bin as well. At 6 months she is fully mature enough to produce infertile eggs

Awesome! I'll do some digging when I get a chance. And I know lol oh man. Just like the bioactive route, I have to conquer that beast soon. I'm sure when that time comes, I'll have so many questions and will probably post another thread. But for right now, I'll take all the information y'all have given me and make Janis's life even better

Awesome! I'll do some digging when I get a chance. And I know lol oh man. Just like the bioactive route, I have to conquer that beast soon. I'm sure when that time comes, I'll have so many questions and will probably post another thread. But for right now, I'll take all the information y'all have given me and make Janis's life even better
I know you'll do great and so will Janis! Love her name too by the way.

If you have any (or intend to have any) insect feeder colonies, you could use the ceramic heater over them. That's what I do since some seem to eat/gut load (and breed) better when kept warmer.

Back
Top Bottom