New owner questions

Dee McB

Hi! I am a new owner to Calvin beautiful Veiled Chameleon. I am looking at upgrading his cage, right now he is in a 12x12x36 and looking at going 24x24x48. I have been snooping around here in the pictures of cages, another site that sells cages also shows cage set ups using the spray foam around the plant containers and wood embedded in the foam. When looking around here I am seeing a lot of open or exposed planters is there a benefit either way? Also I see exposed soil and some with larger rocks on top of the soil, is the exposed soil ok? I am also assuming that I obviously going to need to put in sturdier branches in his enclosure because the items in his cage seem to be too weak and seems to allow him to wobble a lot. I have read you can use branches in the cage from outside, just scrub them up real good and avoid sappy branches (correct?). I have a large cedar tree that was uprooted years ago but is still living do you think it would be ok for me to cut off the roots and use as long as they are not rotten?

Hi :) the foam looks fun... I haven't personally done a build using it but others have and, if someone doesn't reply, you could probably do a search and find info on how they used it.

Typically, a bare cage floor is recommended and the soil in potted plants should be organic (not Miracle-Gro) and covered with larger stones to prevent the dirt from being ingested.

There are many different ways to attach branches... fishing line, tacks, etc... sorry I'm blanking on more. Also Dragon Ledges are used.

I love using sticks and branches from outside. I soaked mine in bleach/water, then soaked in fresh water (I empty the water, add more fresh water soaking again, empty, add more) and then, if it fit, put it in the oven on 200 degrees for a couple hours. Probably overkill, but...

I don't know about cedar specifially.

Hi :) the foam looks fun... I haven't personally done a build using it but others have and, if someone doesn't reply, you could probably do a search and find info on how they used it.

Typically, a bare cage floor is recommended and the soil in potted plants should be organic (not Miracle-Gro) and covered with larger stones to prevent the dirt from being ingested.

There are many different ways to attach branches... fishing line, tacks, etc... sorry I'm blanking on more. Also Dragon Ledges are used.

I love using sticks and branches from outside. I soaked mine in bleach/water, then soaked in fresh water (I empty the water, add more fresh water soaking again, empty, add more) and then, if it fit, put it in the oven on 200 degrees for a couple hours. Probably overkill, but...

I don't know about cedar specifially.

I just read online that cedar isn't good for reptiles. Not 100% sure so hopefully someone can chime in

Hi, cedar and pine releas sap that is toxic. Generally it is not ok but if it is dead and dried and possibly baked I don't believe it will be releasing any toxics. I would not use a fresh branch.

Back
Top Bottom