New Owner New Setup

CROM

Hello everyone, I'm glad I found this forum. We are new to Chameleon and are glad we have this forum for source. I just want to share my setup of the cage with you all and would like suggestions and or comments about it. We want our little guy happy.We feed him crickets and worms as snacks. We are using Reptibreeze Chameleon kit and prefer to use fake plants. I did use a real branch for the center piece. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.

Attachments

• 20201211_172136.jpg
    20201211_172136.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20201211_225830_335.jpg
    IMG_20201211_225830_335.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 110
Please fill out this form so I can best help in any areas needing to be fixed :)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

usually the uh light should be a 5.0/6 T5HO LINER UVB light. so it can cover the whole cage with UV light and not just one part. This will prevent the cause of metabolic bone disease.
be careful with fake plants because i’ve read they have the tendency to eat the fake leaves. My advice is just watch out for bite marks, because this isn’t true to all chamies.
welcome to the community!

Hey and welcome to the forum! Your cham is beautiful. A few suggestions I would make cage wise is one, the light, a lot of chameleon owners will use that kind of light and their cham will end up with MBD :( Like said above a T5HO UVB light is a really good recommendation, and you want it to be as long/longer than the cage so the light can reach the whole cage. So just as an example if you had a 24x24x48 cage you would want a 24 inch hood or longer if you want to run it diagonally. I made the same mistake myself and recently changed it. Dont worry though. Also, I would recommend using more plants/sticks so your little guy can feel more safe. Using real plants, especially with a veiled chameleon is the best choice but if you still dont want to do so, maybe feed him some greens once a week like collard greens or mustard greense etc.. Everything seems great though! whats at the bottom of the cage?

Hey and welcome to the forum! Your cham is beautiful. A few suggestions I would make cage wise is one, the light, a lot of chameleon owners will use that kind of light and their cham will end up with MBD :( Like said above a T5HO UVB light is a really good recommendation, and you want it to be as long/longer than the cage so the light can reach the whole cage. So just as an example if you had a 24x24x48 cage you would want a 24 inch hood or longer if you want to run it diagonally. I made the same mistake myself and recently changed it. Dont worry though. Also, I would recommend using more plants/sticks so your little guy can feel more safe. Using real plants, especially with a veiled chameleon is the best choice but if you still dont want to do so, maybe feed him some greens once a week like collard greens or mustard greense etc.. Everything seems great though! whats at the bottom of the cage?

It's moss from a starter kit that supposedly its real and will grow. Was recommended by the store associate to help with the humidity. The vine going around the top is also part of the kit. My daughter chose to place it most in the bottom but I think that might be an issue with cage clean up.

Attachments

• 20201213_092115.jpg
    20201213_092115.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 82

Thank you for your tips, much appreciated! I'm using a 5.0 UVB 13 WATT fluorescent lamp with a 60w daylight lamp. I can also add 1 more dome fixture I have and add an additional UVB lamp. That should be good enough as my cage is 16x16x30. What you think?

Please fill out this form so I can best help in any areas needing to be fixed :)
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - Its a Vieled Chameleon, I believe it is a male, its about 2 inches long and I've had it for 1 week.
  • Handling - We have refrained from handling him so he can get used to his new home. The first day we handled him only.
  • Feeding - Crickets gut loaded with kelp and meal worms for treat but doesn't seem interested in them.
  • Supplements - using repti calcium with d3. Have a sample of zoo meds repetitive but wasn't sure it would be good or bad. Worms are in a bowl at the bottom always available. I feed the crickets in the am. I started with 1 then tried 2 just in case 1 wasn't enough. He eats 1 in the am and 1 later in the day.
  • Watering - I have a special bottle that you pump on the bottom and then you hold a button to spray. It sprays a mist and I soak the leaves. This gets done at least 3 times a day. I also ordered a small USB charged humidifier that I will use for about 4 hours a day. I haven't seen it drink but my kids have.
  • Fecal Description - I though I saw 1 the first day and it was like dark brown/black. With the moss in the bottom, I haven't been able to find it. I bought Pascal from Petco and was assured he was checkout health wise.
  • History - none

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screened 16x16x30
  • Lighting - zoo med UVB and heat kit. 5.0 UVB 13W reptisun lamp and 60w daylight blue bulb
  • Temperature - from 69 f- 73 f lowest temp at night. Have a digital temp thermometer from zoo med.
  • Humidity - I don't have a way to measure humidity but we try to keep the cage as high as possible in the way of misting the leaves and moss.
  • Plants - different moss from a starter kit; see attached files.
  • Placement - its in my kids room on a corner on top of a small dresser. Its about 3' high and we have a ceiling fan about 5' away from the cage that is on at night.
  • Location - I live in Miami, Florida where the humidity is high.

Current Problem - don't really have a problem, its more about how can I improve our chameleon experience.

Attachments

• 20201213_100239.jpg
    20201213_100239.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201213_092115.jpg
    20201213_092115.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201213_093017.jpg
    20201213_093017.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Your Chameleon - Its a Vieled Chameleon, I believe it is a male, its about 2 inches long and I've had it for 1 week.
  • Handling - We have refrained from handling him so he can get used to his new home. The first day we handled him only.
  • Feeding - Crickets gut loaded with kelp and meal worms for treat but doesn't seem interested in them.
  • Supplements - using repti calcium with d3. Have a sample of zoo meds repetitive but wasn't sure it would be good or bad. Worms are in a bowl at the bottom always available. I feed the crickets in the am. I started with 1 then tried 2 just in case 1 wasn't enough. He eats 1 in the am and 1 later in the day.
  • Watering - I have a special bottle that you pump on the bottom and then you hold a button to spray. It sprays a mist and I soak the leaves. This gets done at least 3 times a day. I also ordered a small USB charged humidifier that I will use for about 4 hours a day. I haven't seen it drink but my kids have.
  • Fecal Description - I though I saw 1 the first day and it was like dark brown/black. With the moss in the bottom, I haven't been able to find it. I bought Pascal from Petco and was assured he was checkout health wise.
  • History - none

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screened 16x16x30
  • Lighting - zoo med UVB and heat kit. 5.0 UVB 13W reptisun lamp and 60w daylight blue bulb
  • Temperature - from 69 f- 73 f lowest temp at night. Have a digital temp thermometer from zoo med.
  • Humidity - I don't have a way to measure humidity but we try to keep the cage as high as possible in the way of misting the leaves and moss.
  • Plants - different moss from a starter kit; see attached files.
  • Placement - its in my kids room on a corner on top of a small dresser. Its about 3' high and we have a ceiling fan about 5' away from the cage that is on at night.

Current Problem - don't really have a problem, its more about how can I improve our chameleon experience.
Ok so just a few things I would like to point out, Is that they only need calcium WITH d3 twice a month and use calcium WITHOUT d3 the rest of the month, every feeding or every other feeding. Since your little guy seems really young considering its size (he looks about 2 months old), I hear you can give them as much as they can eat or about 10-12 food items a day because they are constantly growing. You shouldn't use the moss you have at the bottom, they don't need any bedding and if he eats it, it can cause impaction. If anything you can just leave it bare or put a paper towel at the bottom. I have heard people do that, plus it makes it much easier to clean. I wouldn't recommend a blue light, as the sun is not blue lol. You are doing really good though I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Thank you for your tips, much appreciated! I'm using a 5.0 UVB 13 WATT fluorescent lamp with a 60w daylight lamp. I can also add 1 more dome fixture I have and add an additional UVB lamp. That should be good enough as my cage is 16x16x30. What you think?
I am not sure. I got my chameleon a month ago from another owner and he is about 4-5 months old. He had a blue light and the same dome fixture and I had recently just now changed it and he is ok. I have learned a LOT from owning him. If you feel that is a safe way to go about it and wont cause anything I will leave it up to you.

usually the uh light should be a 5.0/6 T5HO LINER UVB light. so it can cover the whole cage with UV light and not just one part. This will prevent the cause of metabolic bone disease.
be careful with fake plants because i’ve read they have the tendency to eat the fake leaves. My advice is just watch out for bite marks, because this isn’t true to all chamies.
welcome to the community!

The fake plants i have its leaves are very think and dont think he could bite thru but you never know.

• Your Chameleon - Its a Vieled Chameleon, I believe it is a male, its about 2 inches long and I've had it for 1 week. He looks to be about 2 months old, so he is a baby.
  • Handling - We have refrained from handling him so he can get used to his new home. The first day we handled him only. This is good! I would give him about a month or so to get used to his home.
  • Feeding - Crickets gut loaded with kelp and meal worms for treat but doesn't seem interested in them. Crickets are good, but mealworms are not good for chameleons because they are high in chitin, which is hard to digest. Some great staple feeders are Black Soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches. You can buy these on feeder supply websites such as dubiaroaches.com, they supply tons of great feeders. Since he is a baby, feed him all he can eat twice a day.
  • Supplements - using repti calcium with d3. Have a sample of zoo meds repetitive but wasn't sure it would be good or bad. Worms are in a bowl at the bottom always available. I feed the crickets in the am. I started with 1 then tried 2 just in case 1 wasn't enough. He eats 1 in the am and 1 later in the day. Calcium with d3 should only be used twice a month, otherwise your chameleon could have too much d3, which causes health problems Here is a supplement schedule to follow.
  • 1. Every feeding calcium without d3
  • 1. Twice a month reptivitiman with d3 (except on the days you use the calcium without d3)
  • *You will not need to use the calcium with d3 in this shedulle, but it would be more complicated if you were too*
  • Watering - I have a special bottle that you pump on the bottom and then you hold a button to spray. It sprays a mist and I soak the leaves. This gets done at least 3 times a day. I also ordered a small USB charged humidifier that I will use for about 4 hours a day. I haven't seen it drink but my kids have. You will not need to use a humidifier, but I suggest getting a fogger and running it before bedtime. Keep spraying 3 times a day.
  • Fecal Description - I though I saw 1 the first day and it was like dark brown/black. With the moss in the bottom, I haven't been able to find it. I bought Pascal from Petco and was assured he was checkout health wise. Was there moss inside his poo? If so, this is not good. You need to remove the moss. Your chameleon could eat it and could become impacted.
  • History - none

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - screened 16x16x30 This is okay for now, but as he grows up he will outgrow his enclosure. I suggest a reptibreeze XL.
  • Unfortunately, this lighting is not sufficient for a chameleon. You will need to change your UVB to a linear reptisun t5 High output. Blue bulbs are not recommended for chameleons, a regular incandescent house bulb will do the job, try a 40W.
  • Temperature - from 69 f- 73 f lowest temp at night. Have a digital temp thermometer from zoo med. During the night it should be colder about 50F or lower, chameleons prefer a drop in temp. A fogger will do the job.
  • Humidity - I don't have a way to measure humidity but we try to keep the cage as high as possible in the way of misting the leaves and moss. A hygrometer will be good to measure humidity and temperature.
  • Plants - different moss from a starter kit; see attached files. Chameleons, especially veildes need all live plants because they eat plants. You will need to remove the fake ones and replace them with live plants. Start off with a pothos or umbrella plant, and add as you go. If he were to eat the fake plants, then that is dangerous
  • Placement - its in my kids room on a corner on top of a small dresser. Its about 3' high and we have a ceiling fan about 5' away from the cage that is on at night. Though the fan may cool him down, it may bring stress, chameleons are very anxious about what is above them because they are tree-dwellers in the wild. I suggest moving it to another spot in the room, or a place in the house with a lot of sunshine, or where it is quiet.

Ok so just a few things I would like to point out, Is that they only need calcium WITH d3 twice a month and use calcium WITHOUT d3 the rest of the month, every feeding or every other feeding. Since your little guy seems really young considering its size (he looks about 2 months old), I hear you can give them as much as they can eat or about 10-12 food items a day because they are constantly growing. You shouldn't use the moss you have at the bottom, they don't need any bedding and if he eats it, it can cause impaction. If anything you can just leave it bare or put a paper towel at the bottom. I have heard people do that, plus it makes it much easier to clean. I wouldn't recommend a blue light, as the sun is not blue lol. You are doing really good though I hope this helps!

Thank you for your advice, and I did question the moss. I do have a green sheet substrate on the bottom that I was using originally. I guess I'll have to remove the moss and leave just that. I also believe he is about 2 months old. So to understand you better, I should feed him more than 2 crickets per day? I don't see him eating the meal worms but that might be cuz he isn't used to their location.

Thank you for your advice, and I did question the moss. I do have a green sheet substrate on the bottom that I was using originally. I guess I'll have to remove the moss and leave just that. I also believe he is about 2 months old. So to understand you better, I should feed him more than 2 crickets per day? I don't see him eating the meal worms but that might be cuz he isn't used to their location.
Keep the bare bottom, I would feed him 15+ bugs. A day Be careful will the all you can eat actually because some chameleons will stuff themselves, and don't know they can't eat anymore. For now, just feed the crickets.

Back
Top Bottom