New owner: Chameleon is gaping on basking spot

Your cage looks a little bare so I would definitely add some more coverage for your little guy to hide in. I use a combination of live and fake plants so its a decent balance between an easy solution and the benefits of live plants. Just make sure your plants are rinsed off and non-toxic before you place them in his enclosure. That way no harmful pesticides or plastic residues can be eaten by your chameleon!

Also I used this thin green wire from Michaels to attach plastic vine strips to the top of my chameleon's enclosure. I think it makes him feel more hidden and it also catches the water droplets from the mister. I don't happen to have a good picture of his cage right now but I'll attach one later today to give you some ideas since I know you kinda have to get creative when setting up chameleon cages.

You did the right thing by admitted you had questions...this place has answers. Listen to people here, and follow advice from this and other threads and you should be good. Coming here for help shows you care, and is probably the most important aspect of owning a chameleon....besides money....lots of money. ;)

Well, I’m late to the post and it looks like @Beman explained how to set up the bendy vine for the uvb and heat. Here’s the other graphic that I have about the chameleon kit. I need to stress that this is only to make the kit work for the time being while your chameleon is a baby. You will need to invest in a proper T5 ho uvb as well as a minimum 2x2x4’ enclosure relatively soon. Chams grow quickly.
1494B3B4-6767-49D2-8A29-3199E1FD7465.jpeg

Also make sure to check out the links provided. Proper husbandry is essential in order to have a healthy, happy and long-lived chameleon.

@Riiiiivera just wanted to check in and see how the adjustment went?

I think things are going better I adjusted the flex vine as instructed and moved some of the other sticks near it to give him options he perched on the thicker vines yesterday under the uvb so closer to the right side of the cage. I didn’t notice that the gaping stopped however he didn’t turn a darker color like he usually will when he goes to bask should I be worried at that?

I will be going to get some things for him today hopefully and will be removing and adding things to his enclosure
1DF2DC2A-2FEB-49C6-B800-7E6154082883.jpeg
EFDC5291-460D-4F03-8071-A5CCB3DE73F1.jpeg

I think things are going better I adjusted the flex vine as instructed and moved some of the other sticks near it to give him options he perched on the thicker vines yesterday under the uvb so closer to the right side of the cage. I didn’t notice that the gaping stopped however he didn’t turn a darker color like he usually will when he goes to bask should I be worried at that?

I will be going to get some things for him today hopefully and will be removing and adding things to his enclosure
View attachment 286767View attachment 286768
So he is still gaping?

The fecal and urate look good. well formed and he is hydrated based on the white of the urate.

Yes from what I can see the gaping has stopped I’ll be keeping on eye on him to see if it stays that way sorry for my typo lol
Ok perfect that is what I was hoping would happen with the adjustment in the vine.

So this is just temporary... The compact bulb. You need to plan on upgrading the lighting within the next few weeks, ok?

Ok perfect that is what I was hoping would happen with the adjustment in the vine.

So this is just temporary... The compact bulb. You need to plan on upgrading the lighting within the next few weeks, ok?

3CE4558F-A93D-4411-949E-8191785AC96A.jpeg
4B6CB0EC-3210-403D-A755-11A661A6F531.jpeg

He’s just started to do it once again could my vine placements be off or is there something else’s going on with my little guy?

Sorry for bothering so much I’m just trying to give as much info on the situation as possible I have taken note that although he will gape for no more than five mins or less and he’ll move along his basking stick a little he hasn’t turned his regular dark colors for more heat should I take a video of him moving to see if he has any signs of illness

Sorry for bothering so much I’m just trying to give as much info on the situation as possible I have taken note that although he will gape for no more than five mins or less and he’ll move along his basking stick a little he hasn’t turned his regular dark colors for more heat should I take a video of him moving to see if he has any signs of illness
Ok so baby is still gaping? If temps are right unless it is defensive then gaping can indicate a respiratory infection. So figuring out the cause is important.
If you want to do a video that is helpful but you will need to load it to a secondary server like youtube to then share the link here.

Ok so baby is still gaping? If temps are right unless it is defensive then gaping can indicate a respiratory infection. So figuring out the cause is important.
If you want to do a video that is helpful but you will need to load it to a secondary server like youtube to then share the link here.

Just an update I haven’t noticed him gaping anymore still keeping an eye on him. I went out to buy his T5 light and live plants but I couldn’t find them I went to a local reptile shop that said they were sold out. Didn’t have much luck getting into a nursery either COVID has a lot of these places closing real early gonna try again today. I didn’t want to come home empty handed to my little guy so I went to a chain pet store and bought more vines and one other small silk plant.

Another question I have is if my Cham can hurt his tongue by shooting it at droplets that build up on the screen ceiling from homemade drip cup

Also i will upload a video of his movement later today when I feed him
DC5A0EC2-FB59-401F-95D5-0146C6C635FA.jpeg
4E15CFF6-527E-44A4-86C8-86A70ACE1090.jpeg
5F3CB558-D2E5-4E06-BDB1-5A30A574E772.jpeg

Just an update I haven’t noticed him gaping anymore still keeping an eye on him. I went out to buy his T5 light and live plants but I couldn’t find them I went to a local reptile shop that said they were sold out. Didn’t have much luck getting into a nursery either COVID has a lot of these places closing real early gonna try again today. I didn’t want to come home empty handed to my little guy so I went to a chain pet store and bought more vines and one other small silk plant.

Another question I have is if my Cham can hurt his tongue by shooting it at droplets that build up on the screen ceiling from homemade drip cup

Also i will upload a video of his movement later today when I feed him View attachment 286851View attachment 286852View attachment 286854
No he can not hurt his tongue. Make sure the water is dripping down on the fake plants.
Hopefully you have better luck today. You may have to order the T5HO fixture and the 5.0 bulb.

Hi just curious are you state side or UK those coloured vines look the same as swell reptiles. Anyway yeah we are in 6 week lockdown my reptile store either doesn't have stock or can't get it i have had to order off the net

Hi just curious are you state side or UK those coloured vines look the same as swell reptiles. Anyway yeah we are in 6 week lockdown my reptile store either doesn't have stock or can't get it i have had to order off the net

Yeah I’m In the US my nearest petco said they wouldn’t have crickets for a while pretty poor bug selection

Back
Top Bottom