New owner: Chameleon is gaping on basking spot

Riiiiivera

Hello I’m a little concerned my chameleon has just started to keep his mouth open I’ve read that isn’t good for them to be doing that could he just be trying to cool off? It’s just strange that he’s doing this because he’ll be in his basking spot with his mouth open (basking spot is at about 79-80 degrees. I mist his cage 2 a day for about 2 mins straight and I noticed that if I mist his plants and enclosure he’ll quickly leave his basking spot and hide in the leaves I think maybe he tries drinking the water. This also the first time he’s done this am I over reacting or is he trying to regulate his temp while he’s basking?
E9F97118-A80C-49C8-B96B-2193173F68A0.jpeg
948EEE67-256C-410C-998D-5F8D83870925.jpeg

Hello I’m a little concerned my chameleon has just started to keep his mouth open I’ve read that isn’t good for them to be doing that could he just be trying to cool off? It’s just strange that he’s doing this because he’ll be in his basking spot with his mouth open (basking spot is at about 79-80 degrees. I mist his cage 2 a day for about 2 mins straight and I noticed that if I mist his plants and enclosure he’ll quickly leave his basking spot and hide in the leaves I think maybe he tries drinking the water. This also the first time he’s done this am I over reacting or is he trying to regulate his temp while he’s basking? View attachment 286697View attachment 286698
Flip the temp probe to the top of the vine...

What is your distance from the top of the screen to this vine?

I meant to post the above yesterday and I want to add on that I watched him for about an hour or so after and he closed his mouth after about 30 mins and just stayed on his stick
13047901-4CD8-4366-BAB4-A1CF7503174C.jpeg

I have been watching him all morning 10:30 right now and lights on for him is at 8:00. Something new that I noticed that may or may not be part of his routine is that he was perched on vine near the bottom of his enclosure and he was dark like when he basks. he was there for about an hour and then started making his way towards his heating lamp and opened his mouth after being under there for about 30 mins. he’s now closed his mouth And made his way to the bottom once again
C5285C30-266E-4C7E-AF81-73B0397E07DD.jpeg

He looks very stressed...

Do you have any live plants in there? Can you take pics of the entire cage lights down so we can see what your working with?

Flip the temp probe to the top of the vine...

What is your distance from the top of the screen to this vine?

I got about 3 inches and now that I’ve flipped the probe I’m getting about 88-90! :( Im Realizing that’s way too hot correct!?

Attachments

• 5DDB767E-73AD-4188-BC29-14EFFD473032.jpeg
    5DDB767E-73AD-4188-BC29-14EFFD473032.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 100
He looks very stressed...

Do you have any live plants in there? Can you take pics of the entire cage lights down so we can see what your working with?
82AEFA4B-813B-4DC0-AA2C-E65704760E57.jpeg

I’m working on getting a few live plants for him this all I have for now form the chameleon kit

View attachment 286703
I’m working on getting a few live plants for him this all I have for now form the chameleon kit
Ok see the links I just posted above for you. You want to have your set up exactly the way Bill explains it. So UVB side will be a bit closer but your heat side you need to bend the branch down so it is not as close until you find the sweet spot on temperature. Make sure the temp probe is on the side with the heat not the UVB bulb.

Ok see the links I just posted above for you. You want to have your set up exactly the way Bill explains it. So UVB side will be a bit closer but your heat side you need to bend the branch down so it is not as close until you find the sweet spot on temperature. Make sure the temp probe is on the side with the heat not the UVB bulb.
thank you so much working on this now

662F56CE-B9D9-42FC-9792-D4F331E6C098.jpeg
42914C20-0F52-4F4A-BFF8-77532EEE4334.jpeg

I’ve moved his stick and lamps so that they would be in a better spot is this okay? The only thing is that this is about 8 inches away from the top of the screen

It looks like you need more branches and plants and I would take out that hard plant because they can get impaction if you got a fake plant get a silk one

View attachment 286704View attachment 286705

I’ve moved his stick and lamps so that they would be in a better spot is this okay? The only thing is that this is about 8 inches away from the top of the screen
So if it is the middle one then no. To get the right UVB it has to be about a 3 inch drop. It has been awhile since I did his class so I do not remember specifics. So you will want to go through that set up process...

The coil bulb is your uvb bulb that is the side you want closer. The bendy vine that came with the cham kit will give you more flexibility so I would personally use that one for basking and UVB. Then you can get the flex down below the heat fixture you need but the distance still where you need it for the UVB>

I am going to tag someone else that is familiar with how Bill taught this. @MissSkittles can you assist here. I have to leave but they need help. I gave them the links that Bill added. Need guidance on the the UVB and heat. For proper placement below with the fake vine.

It looks like you need more branches and plants and I would take out that hard plant because they can get impaction if you got a fake plant get a silk one
And that hammock is not meant for a chameleon they can get there nails stuck in it
Please read through threads before you post so you know what exactly is going on... They are getting help for specifics related to the cham kit and how to make it work. And what you are adding is already being covered. This is not helpful when someone is already overwhelmed and experienced keepers are trying to step in and assist.

@Riiiiivera Here is the graphic... So it is a measured 3 inches below the screen on the UVB side... Then flex the vine down on the side with the heat... put the probe so that it is on the top of the vine.. Flex it until you get the temps you need.. no hotter then 80...

UVB-chameleon-kit-UVB-map-900x700-1.jpg

Ok sorry now I understand I have a good size piece of vine left I will install it properly
Once you get this main vine correctly installed... Your removing the hammock... And you need to add the live plants. When you have the live plants you remove the fake ones. This is going to be very important so baby has a place to drink from and hide.

You want height... A nice ficus or umbrella would do that for you in the cage.
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Back
Top Bottom