New owner. Cage pics and tips appreciated

I know that you spent a little dough on this set up, but it's completely wrong for this animal. It WILL NOT live long if it stays in that enclosure. With a few changes, a dart or tree frog can be housed in something similar. Chameleons require special care. It's a shame that these pet stores sell exotic animals, especially when they're obviously not familiar with them (judging from the enclosure and things to go inside of it that they allowed you to purchase for the chameleon). The only thing that you can do if you're not willing to change the enclosure is attempt to bring the chameleon back to the store that you bought it from to exchange it for a frog or something that will be better suited for that enclosure. If you decide to buy ANY animal in the future, I advise you to do some extensive research before purchasing. It will save you a lot of money, trouble and heartache. Don't trust pet shop employees. These animals are stock to them. They are just trying to make some quick cash.

This is a great looking way to create drainage for an open air enclosure. I did this to create drainage for my ReptiBreeze. I also have a baby Veiled cham. Send me a message if you need any help setting up an enclosure. I can send you detailed pics, etc. I know of some awesome websites that you can buy everything that you need to house your cham properly for really cheap. I'm here to help. :)https://www.chameleonforums.com/2-1-stand-drainage-solution-83186/

Thnx nolagirl i actually like the look of that set-up. I may go do that. Any suggestions of another animal that would thrive in that tank that spent so much on as is?

well this sucks. Ive got over $500 invested in materials for this set-up. I also want the set-up to look nice. As of now i have it on a aquarium stand. Where i can hide the reservoir and wiring for lights behind the tank. If i was to go out and buy one of those screen tanks another $150 i dont think i could put it on the stand. Im still thinking of whats best to do. My brother has a home made screen top that sits on top of my tank i could buy off him. Its about 3ft tall.

Another problem i see with these full screen enclosures is what do you do about the crickets escaping>? I dont want crickets all over my house. Or have to worry about it. I didnt buy fruit flies at the store for this reason. What do i put at the bottom of the tank instead of the natural moss i have now?

BTW as far as i can tell he still hasnt eaten. I bought a little food holder that sunctions to the side of the tank and put 3 wax worms in there and as informed i have left him alone for the past few days and check and there still 3 worms sitting in there.

Just to let you know, Chameleon Care is an 'art' and the people on these forums have perfected it pretty well. Plenty of great information already given to you...

Don't buy retail screens as you've already put that kinda money into it. You can easily buy PVC pipe and a roll of screen and zip ties for around 40$. Now this price will build you a SMALL cage but he's young and this cage will be fine for 3-4 months.

PVC pipe is easy as it comes with all the connections you need. At Home Depot in my area a 10' foot PVC pipe goes for around 3.50$ depending on the diameter. (Just go small)

I hand feed exclusively, as the screen rolling I made is large enough for an adult roach to escape. However, that was personal preference as the whole 'nails caught in screen' stories scared me as a new owner. You can go smaller, there's also cup feeding. (I'm working on cup feeding myself.)

I didn't see if you talked about your lights, temps, or humidity but you may want to discuss that with the more experienced members as well.

6219_10151557944917501_891546141_n.jpg

14478_10151557945027501_2017951675_n.jpg

309274_10151557945097501_1190397437_n.jpg

So now hes in his new cage. And im trying to feed him by dixie cup. 4 crickets were put in the cup last night. Still 4 crickets left this morning. Ive still yet to see him eat:( But the top has holes drilled into it. And i got this tank set-up from my brother so it was basically free just had to buy a few plants. I think he will be fine in this set up. It looks a lot more enjoyable for him.

6219_10151557944917501_891546141_n.jpg

14478_10151557945027501_2017951675_n.jpg

309274_10151557945097501_1190397437_n.jpg

So now hes in his new cage. And im trying to feed him by dixie cup. 4 crickets were put in the cup last night. Still 4 crickets left this morning. Ive still yet to see him eat:( But the top has holes drilled into it. And i got this tank set-up from my brother so it was basically free just had to buy a few plants. I think he will be fine in this set up. It looks a lot more enjoyable for him.
Did you check out the links on cham care that I posted on this thread for you to read? Well, I guess this enclosure is better that the aquarium. Chameleons are arboreal (creatures that chiefly live in trees). They need an enclosure that has height. You may be able to modify that enclosure to be a suitable temporary enclosure for your cham...maybe if you'd reposition the cage to be vertical instead of horizontal, remove the solid wood and add screen to the sides, top and bottom. Chameleon enclosures must have lots of ventilation and drainage. Like I said, chameleons DO NOT recognize sitting water ( water in a bowl). In the wild, they drink water droplets created from dew on leaves. That's why you must mist your cham's enclosure and invest in a dripper. Your cham will not drink if it doesn't have dripping water. That's why you need an open air enclosure. If you don't have an open air enclosure, the water will pool up at the bottom of the enclosure and the enclosure will be too wet for your cham. It will become a breeding ground for bacteria and your cham will develop respiratory problems due to the lack of ventilation. I know that you're trying to work with what you've got, but chameleons do need special care. Please read the info. that I posted for you. There is no way around it. You need to follow the care sheets that I posted for you or your cham will end up sick. The vet bills will cost you a lot more than a new enclosure...trust me.

Here are some pics of my enclosure. I bought my small ReptiBreeze open air enclosure from petmountain.com. It was only $37.73. http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-cages-terrariums/11442-517285/zoo-med-reptibreeze-open-air-black-aluminum-screen-cage.html It's measurements are (16"L x 16"W x 20"H). That will be large enough for your cham up until it's about 4 months old. It will need a larger enclosure after it reaches that age. Here are some pics of my enclosure. I bought a cheap vanity set from Home Depot (about 49 bucks). I removed the PVC bottom from the bottom of the enclosure and set the enclosure on top of a grated terrarium top that is placed on top of the sink. The water that is created from the misting and dripper falls through the grated terrarium top, to the sink and finally into a bucket that I have placed inside of the vanity cabinet. It's cheap, easy, works well and looks nice. I've added an Umbrella plant to the enclosure since I have taken these pics (so I have two live plants). I do have a dripper that isn't shown in the pic. This is the dripper that I have.
http://www.petco.com/product/9612/Zoo-Med-Little-Dripper.aspx?Ntt=little%20dripper&OneResultRedirect=1

My setup:

http://

http://

DSC08344_zps0d7aa889.jpg

Here are some things that you will need to buy for your chameleons enclosure. This is a great website and it's affordable.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-food-bowls/11442-510335/zoo-med-little-dripper.html

http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-cages-terrariums/11442-517285/zoo-med-reptibreeze-open-air-black-aluminum-screen-cage.html

http://www.petmountain.com/product/gecko-lighting/11442-509771/zilla-slimline-tropical-reptile-fixture-18-uv.html

18" bulb
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-504985/zoo-med-reptisun-5-0-uvb-bulb.html

Basking bulb of your choice...I'd stick to a 60-75 watt bulb for now. You don't want to fry your baby. It looks like you already have a dome.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-incandescent-bulbs/11442-504974/zoo-med-daylight-blue-reptile-bulb.html

http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-thermometers-hygrometers/11442-513304/zilla-terrarium-hygrometer-thermometer.html

Here is the vanity set that I bought from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathroom-Vanities-Sinks-Cabinets-Bathroom-Vanities/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbza0Z12l1/R-100527212/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UL_GG4YrP1M

You will also need to buy some real plants such as a Ficus or Umbrella plant to put in there to help keep the humidity up and give your cham a place to climb and hide. I posted a link that tells you what the safe plants are to have inside of your enclosure earlier in this thread. Read the links! :) You can also add some fake vines and some wooden rods ( I bought the wooden rods from a craft store. I have them fastened by using tacks on the outside of my enclosure).

Really awesome cage NolaGirl.

Pretty much she hit it on the head, although what you have is an improvement it still poses hazards for your chameleon. Such as the hanging light, if you aren't careful and don't set up your vines just right he may attempt to climb on it and burn himself.

Is the wood treated? Constant exposure to water can cause mold.

Pretty much, while you CAN have a thriving chameleon with alternative cages then those suggested. Those who have attempted it in the past have come up with the same problems, and in turn have come up with a tried and true method of keeping chameleons. That of which NolaGirl laid out for you.

Good luck!

Ok im going to get a waterfall eventually but ive seen him drinking the cage gets misted 3 times a day by the monsoon machine.

And nola. Great idea i didnt think of instead of drilling holes i can take those panels out and replace them with mesh. He seems to be really enjoying this cage. Hes all over the place in it. From the very top to the bottom vines.

He looks happy. But the little squirt still wont eat. Ive left him alone all week with the cup and 4 crickets. Still 4 crickets in there last night. I tried the box one last time. He didnt look to comfortable in there. But had 4 crickets crawling in his face and he paid no attention to them. I can imagine hes not starving. I just dont get it. I dont know what else to try. I gotta imagine hes not going to let himself starve to death with 4 crickets just sitting down there.

I know, these guys can really test the limits of our patience, but hang in there and wait. Keep leaving him alone and not trying to touch him.
He will not starve himself to death.

Dont even think about trying to touch him until he is comfortable enough
around you to eat and drink when he knows your watching.

I've had Smidget now for 3 months and he still hides from me every time
I come near him, and I have only seen him eat from a distance, when he
didnt know I was watching.

Ok im going to get a waterfall eventually but ive seen him drinking the cage gets misted 3 times a day by the monsoon machine.

And nola. Great idea i didnt think of instead of drilling holes i can take those panels out and replace them with mesh. He seems to be really enjoying this cage. Hes all over the place in it. From the very top to the bottom vines.

He looks happy. But the little squirt still wont eat. Ive left him alone all week with the cup and 4 crickets. Still 4 crickets in there last night. I tried the box one last time. He didnt look to comfortable in there. But had 4 crickets crawling in his face and he paid no attention to them. I can imagine hes not starving. I just dont get it. I dont know what else to try. I gotta imagine hes not going to let himself starve to death with 4 crickets just sitting down there.

First i would stay away from a waterfall chams often poop in them. also if you are not cleaning/changning the water everyday it will attract bacteria and crickets often get sucked in and can clog it.
Second, do you have a uvb light in your enclosure at all not saying that it will help your little guy eat but it will help with other problems along the way.
If you haven't had luck with cup feeding i would just let the crickets run free in the cage. My cham used to hunt them down in his cage then eventually i started cup feeding him and now i use a sunny d death trap.

Back
Top Bottom