new outdoor enclosure. critique please

Would a pH of about 5 be a problem though. Because, if I am not mistaken, distilled water is only at a pH of 7 when actually distilled. Once exposed to air, it becomes carbonic acid at about pH of 5.

Um... I don't think so? You drink it don't you? I never drank acid when I have had an opened bottle for a few days, not even a week. But it should have a pH of 7, water is neutral unless something is added to it.

Um... I don't think so? You drink it don't you? I never drank acid when I have had an opened bottle for a few days, not even a week. But it should have a pH of 7, water is neutral unless something is added to it.

No, I actually don't drink distilled water. I'm not sure how quickly the pH levels drop, but I know they do. Since distilled water is void of everything but water it has the ability to absorb gases from the air. Once it absorbs carbon dioxide it slowly becomes carbonic acid. If I had some distilled water I would test it, but maybe someone else can. (probably in a bottle, and also in a cup just sitting out)

Cage looks good -- I'd maybe put a barrier 6-12 inches high around the bottom. Make it of wood, plastic, or anything that blocks contact and visibility from cats and raccoons and whatever else you have in TX. Maybe double layer the screen on the bottom.

No, I actually don't drink distilled water. I'm not sure how quickly the pH levels drop, but I know they do. Since distilled water is void of everything but water it has the ability to absorb gases from the air. Once it absorbs carbon dioxide it slowly becomes carbonic acid. If I had some distilled water I would test it, but maybe someone else can. (probably in a bottle, and also in a cup just sitting out)

I probably could, my dad has some test strips for his hot tub, I bet those would work.

Don't worry about the pH of the water, you blow on distilled water and the pH will drop. It's the concentration of an acid that matters.

As for drinking distilled water, that's not a smart thing to do for any period of time and can throw your electrolytes out of wack, and that includes minerals.

Oh, you got the double layer -- nice job. I'd say you are set.

Thanks. I will be putting him in there tomorrow morning so I can monitor him over the weekend. I have heard horror stories of a guy who went to work and came home to 3 dead overheated chams. I do not want to go through that kind of heartbrake. I'll update when I have the mister setup. I will use a drip for now.

Back
Top Bottom