New Outdoor Adult Cage-Still need heating lamp?

NiniMarie

I just bought a new screened cage for my little Pascal (veiled cham), I intend on keeping it outside. I live in South Florida so it is always hot and humid. I have a few questions, if the daily temp is in the high 90s, do I still need to have a heating lamp and/or a UV lamp?

What about at night? The temp is mostly mid-to high 70s. His previous cage was kept indoors where it would get to 69 degrees but he had a heating lamp. I want to make sure this change is ok for him or if I should keep bringing him back inside at night.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my very 1st Cham and I want to take the best care of my baby!

Thanks!!

No you do not need a uvb lamp or a heat lamp. They can take temps way down into the 50's at night so you wont have to worry about that for awhile. I live in Lake Worth which is by Palm Beach. My chameleons are outside all the time. Be careful of overheating. Make sure you have plenty of shaded areas in the cage and you can mist him down to cool him off.

I have one problem with that, I am at work all day and don't get home until 5pm. I'm scared she will over heat in the time being. She is on the porch and I was thinking of buying some type of rain cover so she can have shade and if it rains, she can also have a place to hide under. What do you recommend?

Personally, I would not recommend leaving her out all day if you are not going to be home. I only have my chameleons outside when I am home when it is hot so I can monitor their situation. Also, if your chameleon is going to be in a regular screen cage you have to think about predators such as cats that might tear into the screen. They can overheat very quickly as I said. I have a temp gun and the temps have gotten into the 100's in the sunny spots of the cages. When it gets cooler out during the day during the winter and you have a cage that is safe I would say it would be ok.

Glad I could help. I am just telling you what I do. If you get an automatic mister going in the cage that can help to cool the cage down or you can hand spray. I have a mister attachment that I bought at Lowes and it sprays a fine mist. The thing is it is continual, so if you are not there to turn it off it will run all day long if you let it. I don't know what type of porch you have, but I do know that the aluminum porches are even hotter inside than the actual outdoor temps. If you find your chameleon with its mouth open when outside then you know she is getting too hot. She may also turn bright colors when overheated and if she was to turn white, well that would really not be a good thing. I am a little fanatical I have to admit and when I have them outside I check on them about every 20 minutes throughout the day to make sure they are ok. I would be a total nervous wreck leaving them for 8 or 9 hours and going to work!

I am the same way! I am stashed and always worried for her. Kind of an over protective mommy. I get up from the couch every few minutes just to check. I am going to move her big cage inside while I'm gone, and once I'm home I will move her back out where I can keep an eye on her. (She might be pregnant too so this should be fun)

Back
Top Bottom