New mommy worried about panther chameleon

lainezor

Your Chameleon - Male panther chameleon, not sure about age but I was told he was young(he is 6 inches long in total)How long has it been in your care? A little under 4 days Handling - never Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? crickets so far What amount? ~9 What is the schedule? not been long enough for this really. How are you gut-loading your feeders? carrots, cricket formula, cricket water with calcium.Supplements - Calcium without d3 monday-friday, saturday plain crickets, sunday-alternating between heptivite and calcium with d3(thats the plan, only had him three days now) Watering -Misting and he has a little water bowl at the bottom of a plant I added in today How often and how long to you mist? Frequently and until things are pretty wet Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes a couple of times Fecal Description - greyish brown and pretty solid looking Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? No. History -No.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - screen What are the dimensions? 24*24*48 inches Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? infrared 150 watt heat light in top corner for warmth(my room is cold and in the basement), uvb 5.0 tropical linear.What is your daily lighting schedule? Uvb is on timer goes on at 6am and off around 9pm, turn down the heat lamp with dimmer a bit at night time Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? around 70 at very bottom, mid 90s in bask area, 80 in non bask area.Lowest overnight temp?70 at bottom of cage How do you measure these temps? terrarium thermometer Humidity - What are your humidity levels? around 70% How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Misting What do you use to measure humidity? Hydrometer(water gauge thing) Plants - Are you using live plants? yes If so, what kind? 1 hibiscus Placement - Where is your cage located? in my bedroom in the basement in canada beside tarantula shelf Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? no. At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 4feet Location - Where are you geographically located? Ontario Canada

Current Problem - I have had my chameleon for a little over three days now, I have given him a lot of stress getting him situated and I noticed he is a dark khaki/ black stripes/grey color. I read that this means either he is stressed or cold. I got him a warmer lamp today and he seemed to enjoy it. (he laid in it and turned a light green color/white color) but now he is back to that khaki color. He is on his sleeping leaf and has been sleeping since 6:30pm. This is way before his uvb light goes out. I read that chameleons shouldnt sleep during the daytime so I am really worried. This is my first cham and I don't know if this is normal or not but I think its not normal for him to sleep in the daylight time and be khaki. He ate 9 crickets today and didnt have any problems crawling around the massive cage and catching them, I saw him licking the leaves today as well. Is something wrong? I know I have only had him for 3 days but I want to make sure I am taking the best care of him as possible.

Get rid of ALL visible light at night. If the room stays warmer than 50F you don't need any heat at night. Chams see all the visible spectrum including some light we can't see. Much like birds, light at night will stress him and keep him from sleeping.

Is he supposed to stay khaki/dark like that? I thought he was too cold so I got him a warmer lamp but he didn't seem to improve and went to sleep really early(6pm!) I am new to chameleons and I am really worried that he isn't happy or has something wrong

My baby panther was very dark for the first couple of weeks as I recall. I would say that if he is eating that is a good sign. Dont get it too hot in that enclosure 150 watts sounds high I have mostly seen reccomendations fro 60 -75 watts standard light bulb for basking.

I just checked on him, he is asleep on his branch with his tail all curled up and he is white in color. I dimmed the light a lot to make sure things are good. I am only using such a high wattage because it is cold in my room, I am in the basement and i wear sweaters to keep warm. It probably wont get worse than 60 but I just want to make sure hes warm enough since I am cold.

I just checked on him, he is asleep on his branch with his tail all curled up and he is white in color. I dimmed the light a lot to make sure things are good. I am only using such a high wattage because it is cold in my room, I am in the basement and i wear sweaters to keep warm. It probably wont get worse than 60 but I just want to make sure hes warm enough since I am cold.

Do you have a thermometer to check the temp of the room? Remember, YOU will feel chilled in a room that is much cooler than 98.6, but your cham won't. It is natural for them to be exposed to changes in temp from day to night. They need a drop in temp at night of at least 10 degrees.

I intentionally drop the temps in my Cham room to the upper 50's, Chams have no issues. They need a basking spot of appropriate temp and then a gradient. They will move in and out of that to suit their needs.

Do not be tempted to do things in the cage because YOU feel it is to cold or hot. Get an infra red temp gun ($30), confirm the temps, get them right, then leave them alone.

so low 50s isnt going to kill him or hurt him? I will definitely get the temp gun ty for that idea. Also I am not so much worried about how warm I am I was just assuming he was always cold since hes been so dark lately. Thank you guys for the help I really appreciate it, I am brand new to the cham world and I tend to get worried or paranoid when I feel like I am doing something wrong. I have 75, 100 and 150 watt heat bulbs for him, I feel like the 75 isnt warm enough because his non basking spot is barely 70 or just below it. I went to 100 and he seemed to be the same as the 75 so I went to 150 to be sure. EDIT: the 150 isnt directly on the cage its raised above by about 2 inches on a stand and is dimmed so its not at full intensity.

He also may have been on a completely different schedual before you got him - mine went from getting up at 8 everyday to getting up at 5:30- It took a couple of weeks for him to get used to it - I changed his time 15 min at a time every couple of days -

I do get up at 6:30 and the light is set to come on around then. He seems to be better today. I was just worried because of his color :confused:

Back
Top Bottom