New mom. Need advice!

I'm so glad I found this forum! We (bf and I) adopted Princess Plop (veiled female) from a petsmart over thanksgiving weekend. She had been there for over 8 months so they were giving her away. I had never held a chameleon before and had time to kill so I said "sure I'll hold it". We clicked instantly. People think I'm rediculous for saying that, but we vibed so well. I knew she was coming home with me, this would be her last night alone. Long story short, we bought everything we needed and then some, and have learned SO much since then. Of course there's always more to learn. That's where you guys come in. I'm open to any and all suggestions, stories, tips and tricks, anything I might not already know. Especially having a female. I don't plan on breeding her, so im not quite sure how to handle the egg laying business. Thanks!

Attachments

• Snapchat-3976292046995428674.jpg
    Snapchat-3976292046995428674.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Snapchat-547848975048790953.jpg
    Snapchat-547848975048790953.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Snapchat-4307999613375781911.jpg
    Snapchat-4307999613375781911.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Snapchat-4575452991976850518.jpg
    Snapchat-4575452991976850518.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 124
I would also recommend adding horizontal branches, not just vertical. showers are usually better than baths also, as chams do not get water through their vent like many reptiles do, so baths many times are not necessary.

@alphakenc thanks for the link. The section on females was helpful, but I'm still nervous about the whole process. How will I know if shes bound? Her enclosure is 16 x 16. Should I just put sand on the entire bottom for her?

@Theveiled We give her baths per the vets suggestion. She hadn't gone to the bathroom the first 5ish days we had her, but after a bath she went the next day. She seems to enjoy them, but I can try a shower. Where can I find some good branches? The ones outside are loaded with toxins correct? I have a petsmart and a petco close by but they only have the vines and faux plants. She actually loves to be handled and seems bored sometimes so I am planning on building a little playground based on some I've seen on here.

@alphakenc thanks for the link. The section on females was helpful, but I'm still nervous about the whole process. How will I know if shes bound? Her enclosure is 16 x 16. Should I just put sand on the entire bottom for her?

@Theveiled We give her baths per the vets suggestion. She hadn't gone to the bathroom the first 5ish days we had her, but after a bath she went the next day. She seems to enjoy them, but I can try a shower. Where can I find some good branches? The ones outside are loaded with toxins correct? I have a petsmart and a petco close by but they only have the vines and faux plants. She actually loves to be handled and seems bored sometimes so I am planning on building a little playground based on some I've seen on here.
I buy my vines from petco, but i also know you can take them from outside, if you collect them from a safe place and clean them.

You can buy grapevine wreaths at craft stores and soak them to soften them and unwind them. Use thumb tacks thru your screen into the vine to hold in place or zip ties.
Oh and chams like to be up high so getting your cage off the floor is a good idea to make them feel safer.

So I plan on getting some branches from some trees by my parent's house this weekend. The ones by me probably have dog pee on them.

@JacksJill yea I hadn't found the right stand yet when that other picture was taken. There's a nursery close by to me. Ill see what I can find as far as plants go. That list is loooong. So if I have a plant in the right container can she use that soil to dig her egg cave?

@Jax_Cham_MAN thanks! The vet said I didn't need to bother with a plant but I think it would make her happy..

@alphakenc thanks for the link. The section on females was helpful, but I'm still nervous about the whole process. How will I k now if shes bound? Her enclosure is 16 x 16. Should I just put sand on the entire bottom for her?
Ur welcome,as soon she start eating more feeders during her gravid color,thats when u know n make sure she will lay her eggs or having trouble not laying,in the mean time any bucket with deep sand (10 inches+) will do in the 16x16 enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom