New microscope arriving today

I recently got a microscope myself. I don't consider myself to be any kind of expert and hold no college degree. That being said, I can clearly work the microscope and have no issues with finding "stuff". My first few attempts were so clear I thought I was doing something wrong... then I did my WC girl and BAM! If there's anything to see, you'll find it. As stated above, be sure to scan the FULL slide.

Identifying stuff is a whole different ball game. I suggest getting a book on it as google is helpful but not always accurate or easy. Plant matter, food bits, etc will all look like stuff, but look nothing like a parasite. Worms look like strings. The bad stuff looks like a cell with a nucleus (or two).

That being said... anyone tell me what this is? Looks bad to me...

20191202_162357.jpg

Ps.. I opted for a more traditional style microscope even though I wear glasses (I take them off to use the scope). The "digital/USB" ones claim to magnify but they really don't. I also tried one with an attached LCD screen and it had issues too. I ended up buying a binocular model with 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x[oil] and it came with a set of 10x and 25x eye pieces. I use 1 of each eye piece (only one eye at a time, lol). Its easier to locate the object then look real quick with the 25x then change objectives [lenses]. Plus you will need to adjust the light as you step up/down in magnification. My microscope was about $280ish new and I got a "Used - Very good" condition one through amazon for about $135. It ended up being cheaper than some of the gimmicks I fell for before this one.

I'm going to say plant material ^^ You will almost never see an actual worm on a slide or float. If you did it would be huge relatively speaking. The yellow spots are likely either chlorophyll or fat droplets.
Phew! I was worried it might be some type of cytospore. (Or something like it) The tubular appearance with yellow dots didn't look like anything I had seen... nor that I've been able to dig up on google. I really need to get a decent book I guess.... any recommendations?

Ps. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom