New member!!!! Jackson Xantholophus

chevy20

Hey everyone, well I just got my first cham 2 days ago... he came a little dehydrated but hes getting better, he also has some shedding difficulties, but I think hes alright, any advices are welcome.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

I offered him some roaches, crickets and mealworms yesterday but he just ate like 5 crickets, today he didn't want any....hope it's just stress, hes been drinking a lot of watter tho.

yeah... thnik I messed up something while uploading the pics... trying to fix it now... got him from a "pet store" it's not really a pet store but the guy there can get you any animal you want of course they're all legal.

welcome!!

Hey!! Welcome to the forum and nice xanth! :) Im also new to chams and also my first and only cham is a Jackson Xantholophus! They amazing chams XD Yours looks amazing. Give him warm water showers or spray him warm water. He will enjoy and help his sheding. If he dont like it directly (probably) spray plants on his cage and undirectly pray him until he gets used to it. On the first days they dont tend to eat to much until they settle in their new home. How old is he? :) Mines 6 months old.

welcome! your little guy is adorable. I have a couple xanths - they drink a lot compared to some of my others. My male doesn't eat every day - even if I offer food. Is yours juvi or adult?

Thanks everyone!!! Yeah I'm really excited hehe... I'll give him a warm shower tomorrow see if it helps, but is tap water good? or should I spray him with warm bottle watter?. I want to believe hes a juvenile.. hes around 3-4 inches without tail/horn but his horns seem to be well developed, another thing is taking him outside to take the sun stressfull? I took him outside today for around 30min-40 and he seems to like it, showed some cool colors and climbing all the branches he could.

Thanks everyone!!! Yeah I'm really excited hehe... I'll give him a warm shower tomorrow see if it helps, but is tap water good? or should I spray him with warm bottle watter?. I want to believe hes a juvenile.. hes around 3-4 inches without tail/horn but his horns seem to be well developed, another thing is taking him outside to take the sun stressfull? I took him outside today for around 30min-40 and he seems to like it, showed some cool colors and climbing all the branches he could.
Cool! He really do seems almost 5 month :) you can use tap water most people around do. I let mine sit for almost 24 hrs cuz some of the water plants here in PR are not that good and use many things on them. You can also use reptisafe on it. And btw sunlight its greatly beneficial for them. To not stress mine, when i take him out to get sunlight i move his cage to a spot outside, just be sure to let him have the option of sum shade. XD Careful on suplementation with calcium d3 though. You can search on the forum for more info since there are a few threads regarding xanths. Or start a new thread with the how to ask for help form found here https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ with that many knowledgeable people can help and will greatly benefit your cham :) wish you the best with your jackson! :-D

Thanks a lot Kami.. yeah I did some research already regarding suplements and whatnot.. hope hes 5 months though hehe... guess I can take him outside everyday to get some sun :D I'm pretty sure all the plants here are safe and I haven't seen anyone use any kind of pesticide or something like that, my only worry now would be feeders, Ive got some crickets, hissing roaches (babies 1-1.5cm) and mealworms... gonna try to find some other type of roaches though, what about wild insects like bees and spiders?

Thanks a lot Kami.. yeah I did some research already regarding suplements and whatnot.. hope hes 5 months though hehe... guess I can take him outside everyday to get some sun :D I'm pretty sure all the plants here are safe and I haven't seen anyone use any kind of pesticide or something like that, my only worry now would be feeders, Ive got some crickets, hissing roaches (babies 1-1.5cm) and mealworms... gonna try to find some other type of roaches though, what about wild insects like bees and spiders?

XD you can add silkworms. Lots of sites sell them and are not dificult to raise. Also they are nutritious, a bit high on calcium and moisture to help hydrate. you seem to be fine with those feeders. Dubia roaches are really good too. Also instead of mealworms (as an ocacional feed) you can give instead superworms they look the same, but superworms are softer in the exosqueleton and lower in chitin wich its less likely to cause impaction. You can also give him fruit flies (not wild ones cuz they could have parasites. Some sell them aswell. Or you can raise them yourself and by third generetion they should be parasite free. About wild insects specialy bees can have pesticides. I think you should avoid wild ones... Though small grey months from the wild can be fed. I heard they are less prone to parasites.

Mine goes crazy with flying things lol if youd like to raise fruit flies i can pm you some info that another member(Xanthoman) gave me about raising them. His on my friends list, hes also very helpful. XD

Yeah... thnik I'm going to try that... there are lot of grey moths around here but I think fruit flies are too small for him.

Yeah... thnik I'm going to try that... there are lot of grey moths around here but I think fruit flies are too small for him.

:) they oki for his age. But silkworms woud be best. You can feed then until desired size and its dinner time XD Dont use way to big moths, the wings are a pain to digest :p but small ones do good. Btw whats his name ? :-D My chams name is Kami lol heres a thread of mine. Theres pics of him there and sum good info ^.^ https://www.chameleonforums.com/pics-my-new-jackson-hes-basking-problem-71335/

I'll try to get some silkworms and fruit flies then and hope he likes em :D as for temps... in the basking "spot" its around 75-78 is that warm enough for a Jackson? like 10cm below its 66-70, thanks for all your help Kami :D

I'll try to get some silkworms and fruit flies then and hope he likes em :D as for temps... in the basking "spot" its around 75-78 is that warm enough for a Jackson? like 10cm below its 66-70, thanks for all your help Kami :D
No prob man. Im glad to help :) You should raise your basking temps a little, 80-84 should do him good. And humidity from 65-75% Most likely when they are cold they have darker colors, so maybe you have noticed that. But sometimes its not cold it could be stress or scared of something around. Also place his cage someplace high. They like high places and like to be above all big living eating chameleon.humans lol thats how they think xD mine is getting used to me little by little. Also dont leave feeders inside the cage during night time, they should be removed. ^.^ Feel free to ask many more questions to clear doubts, its important to keep them healthy and being a good parent :D
best of luck! xD

Uhmm I already have a 100W exo-terra basking bulb, guess I'll add a 50W one or something... humidity it's not a problem I've got an humidifier, in the day it's around 60-70%... at nights 80-85%.

Mine goes crazy with flying things lol if youd like to raise fruit flies i can pm you some info that another member(Xanthoman) gave me about raising them. His on my friends list, hes also very helpful. XD

Kami could u send me that PM as well please?? I'm currently raising 3 5-6 month old Xanth's (2 male/1 female). Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums Chevy. Your Xanth looks about the same age as mines. He looks pretty good, try see if you can get more pics when he's not as stressed so we can see his true coloration. I have 3 xanth's and they are a handful. Hopefully you make pretty good money. I was feeding them crix and mealworms, but they're getting pretty bored of 'em so I just ordered 100 silkworms. I heard they are the best, but set me back nearly $40! I'll probably try breeding them. I'd like to breed Dubia's tho, cuz I know they'd eat 'em all right up.

Anyways

Uhmm I already have a 100W exo-terra basking bulb, guess I'll add a 50W one or something... humidity it's not a problem I've got an humidifier, in the day it's around 60-70%... at nights 80-85%.

:eek: Wow 100w should do good and keep the basking temps high, how far is it placed from where your taking the temps? And how are you taking them? ^.^ its best to take the temps with a temp gun. Most people use 60w incandecent bulbs. So you shoudnt have a problem with that 100w maybe your ambient temps are to low or your basking spot is placed too far :) try playing with it until you get the right temps. But dont place it too close that the cham might get burned xD you can also post pics of your enclousure and people can give opinions to make it even better ;) can you keep us updated with pics of your new buddy? I love to see them grow! :D

Back
Top Bottom