New Jackson's owner that could use some help

ViceVersalesha

Samuel L.
2rh93cj.jpg

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon – Jackson’s Chameleon, Male, 11-12 months, and we have had him for 3 days.

• Handling – We have been handling him a couple times a day (he readily crawls to our hand). He really enjoys going downstairs in our indoor nursery and walking across the edges of the potted plants. He turns a beautiful yellow and bright green.
Sammy.jpg

Once the weather is nicer he will go out daily.

• Feeding – Medium crickets, 5-7 once a day, and gut-loading with Collards, apples, oranges and romaine. I hope to start feeding some sort of worm soon if that is possible.

• Supplements – ZooMed Calcium without D3, 3 times weekly and with D3 twice a month, Rep-Cal Herptivite once about every 2 months and Zoo-Med Reptivite once every 6 months.

• Watering – Currently we are using a drip system. I poked a hole in the bottom of a cup and it drips every several seconds onto his plastic vine plant and is collected in a dish at the bottom that is emptied a couple times a day. We have been misting about 4 times a day with warm water for about 2 minutes straight. We do watch him drink and it is one of the coolest things! I also ran the shower for him today. I put him on a stick and let him get misted with warm water for about 30 minutes. He just sat there with his eyes closed and didn’t move. He seemed to enjoy it.

• Fecal Description – I am fairly certain he has defecated once.
photo_1.jpg

It was light orange in color. We just bought him a couple days ago and he heartily drank when we first brought him home. I did not see any feces in his cage just the urates which was not very solid. I do not believe he has been tested for parasites.

• History – I have no previous information on him but noticed yesterday that he is missing 2 toes on his right rear foot (the side that usually has 3 toes).
198hlt.jpg

It does not seem to hinder his gate and climbing abilities too badly. I can try to check into his husbandry because the pet shop said they know the breeder well. Below is a link to the pet shop’s webpage.
https://www.facebook.com/JurassicPetsInc

Cage Info:
photo1.jpg
photo_5.jpg
photo_3.jpg

• Cage Type – ReptiBreeze Screen, 16”x16”x20” for the time being. We are building him a bigger one (24”x24”x36”) also screen.

• Lighting – Zilla Slimline Tropical Fixture with a 25 UVB T8 fluorescent bulb, ZooMed Daylight blue reptile bulb 60w, and ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot 50w. We have him on a 10am to 10pm schedule with those lights during the day and nothing at night.

• Temperature – 73°-85° from the cage floor to basking spot. 63° Lowest overnight temp. We bought an AcuRite Indoor Humidity Monitor & Thermometer Model 00325 from Walmart and magnetized it to the inside near his basking spot.
photo_2.jpg

• Humidity – We are doing our best currently to keep his cage humid. It has been ranging from 30%-66% from misting. My humidifier should be in tomorrow and I am creating a ‘fogging’ system for him, which I will run for a half hour every 4 hours (or adjust as needed for humidity levels). We bought an AcuRite Indoor Humidity Monitor & Thermometer Model 00325 from Walmart and magnetized it to the inside near his basking spot.

• Plants – We are going to put a hibiscus in there once it has developed from seed more. The branches we currently have put in are from out back yard and were scrubbed with Dawn dish soap.

• Placement – The cage is in my bedroom. It is ‘near’ a ceiling fan but not in a high traffic area. The top of the cage is about 5’ off of the floor.

• Location – Broomfield, CO

Current Problem – We are first time owners and want to make sure we are doing all we can to help Samuel L. live a long healthy life. I have seen one ‘poop’ so far and the urates color was light. I am not really sure what sort of water/humidity he was getting before we bought him at the expo but we would really love any general tips and helpful changes we could make for him:D.

photo_4.jpg

Sounds to me like you've read the care sheets- I'm not sure you need two basking lights with such a small cage- It good with a Jackson if they can get out the direct light and get some shade when they want - He's really handsome- You said your building a bigger cage - I would say that is a priority - giving him enough space lets him regulate when he gets too hot.
For my Jackson I have the basking set up so that it only heats up one corner of the cage and I use a cool mist humidifier day time - live plants help with humidity too. You want his poop to be white on the end not orangey but it sounds like he's drinking and you've only had him a couple of days so I wouldn't get overly concerned as long as he's drinking it will probably whiten up -

I love this video for Jackson care
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKTbUaOQ0aA -

Mine loves silkworms, hornworms, super worms, phoenix worms -bluebottle flies and of course crickets - there is some good advice on gutloading - for dry I use "cricket crack" and there is another one that another member just started selling that saves time in trying to find all the ingredients for a home made- and i add in fruits and vegies. I'm not a fan of "bug burger" it seems to go bad quickly and crickets are smelly enough- Some vegies are better than others there are lists - sandrachameleon has a great blog on nutrition -
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blog.php?tag=gutloading&u=1614

Last edited:
If I could make one suggestion it would be to get fecal tests done over a few month period.

He looks good.

Carl

CarlC- I trust your judgement - would you do a fecal right away or wait till he gets settled in ? My vet does them without me having to bring them in and they are only $16.00 - but most vets want to do check-ups and if they need treatment he would see them (and most vets charge more) - I was just wondering and as I say I trust your judgement.

CarlC- I trust your judgement - would you do a fecal right away or wait till he gets settled in ? My vet does them without me having to bring them in and they are only $16.00 - but most vets want to do check-ups and if they need treatment he would see them (and most vets charge more) - I was just wondering and as I say I trust your judgement.

Vets I have dealt with have no problem doing fecals on animals they don't see. If meds are needed then a visit is required like you said.

Getting a fecal done right away lets you know what you might be dealing with. If the first comes back clean wait a month and get another done.

99% of the jacksons bought are wild caught so who knows what could be going on inside them.

Carl

I would put a couple of live plants in the cage - these will boost humidity as the water evaporates from the leaves. He will also hide in them and drink from the leaves. I have also covered the back and one side of the cage with plastic to help retain humidity. I would give him less in the way of supplements as Jacksons are more sensitive to over supplementing. Mine gets vits without D3 once a week and plain calcium once a week, then vits WITH D3 once every 6 weeks. Check out the care sheet in our resource section: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

DIY'd Samuel L.'s fogger for his cage.
image.jpg

We used a Crane Drop Shape Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with a 2.3 Gallon output per day.
image.jpg

Currently we are just running it constantly to get the humidity up.
We ran some tubing from the humidifier to the cage and secured it with Sterling Silver wire (leftover from jewelry crafting).
image.jpg

We used some thread seal tape to help keep the humidity from pooling at the top.
image.jpg

image.jpg

kplatvoet- The one light is a basking light. The other is a daylight blue bulb, which has UVA in it. Do I not need both? He doesn't seem to over heat (sitting with an open mouth) and moves into his vines where other branches hide and sometimes hangs out in the cool water that drips down from the cup for watering. Which he has learned that is where he should go to drink. He lets it drip right on his head and drinks what dribbles down his face and off the surrounding leaves.

CarlC- I will get him into the vet as soon as possible for that. Thank you!

Miss Lily- Thank you! I will switch his routine. I haven't even really supplemented yet. What are your views on Zilla Calcium spray? We are currently growing the hibiscus. Not really sure what to put in there other wise. What are plants that are commonly sold at places like Home Depot or Walmart (maybe even my local grocery store) that I could purchase in the mean time?

DIY'd Samuel L.'s fogger for his cage.
image.jpg

We used a Crane Drop Shape Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier with a 2.3 Gallon output per day.
image.jpg

Currently we are just running it constantly to get the humidity up.
We ran some tubing from the humidifier to the cage and secured it with Sterling Silver wire (leftover from jewelry crafting).
image.jpg

We used some thread seal tape to help keep the humidity from pooling at the top.
image.jpg

image.jpg

kplatvoet- The one light is a basking light. The other is a daylight blue bulb, which has UVA in it. Do I not need both? He doesn't seem to over heat (sitting with an open mouth) and moves into his vines where other branches hide and sometimes hangs out in the cool water that drips down from the cup for watering. Which he has learned that is where he should go to drink. He lets it drip right on his head and drinks what dribbles down his face and off the surrounding leaves.

CarlC- I will get him into the vet as soon as possible for that. Thank you!

Miss Lily- Thank you! I will switch his routine. I haven't even really supplemented yet. What are your views on Zilla Calcium spray? We are currently growing the hibiscus. Not really sure what to put in there other wise. What are plants that are commonly sold at places like Home Depot or Walmart (maybe even my local grocery store) that I could purchase in the mean time?

I don't like any of the so-called supplement sprays on the market. Hard to control what actually stays on the bug and probably a lot more expensive than dusts anyway. For montane chams I prefer to feed my feeders very well and only use dusts sparingly to fill any nutritional gaps over time.

I use a tube UVB and a regular "daylight" bulb for basking - I change the wattage on the basking to keep the temps in the right range - With a small cage - it's hard for him to find anyplace to cool off-
Pet stores like to sell all sorts of lights - Here's a link to the Lighting section of the resources here -
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

Back
Top Bottom