New Jackson

not that cold

jacksons live in colder enviorments. (thats why they do live bearing birth because where they live is to cold to lay the eggs, so they keep them inside themselves till there redy to hatch). basking spot for a jackson should be no more then 80-82. with an ambiant temp of 70-75. they also require a higher humidity around the 70%.

For those of you who have not seen Jackson's in Hawai`i, they are often found near sea-level. My favorite place is in a botanical garden near Kaneohe, which is at more or less, 300' asl. Its wet there and rains a lot, but its not cold. Ever.

This is where the original introduction took hold.

you may live in hawaii but dont assume that because of that, the care of a jacksons is a shoe in (especially if its a wc). most free roaming hawaiin xanths are found at upper elevations in the cooler more humid areas...

See above comment.

To the OP: I don't know what part you live in, but if you can site the cage in a garden setting with a cage in the shade of plants with an area for it to get out of the sun, I bet it will be happy. Be sure to make the cage safe from cats.

edit: now I see you live in a high-rise. Views must be nice. I guess the garden is out of the question. Lots of plants around the cage could help to keep humidity around the animal; it would also help to make it feel more secure. I'm not sure what kind of irrigation system you have going, maybe that is good enough, but you really have to watch to see they're getting plenty of water. I use drippers, spraying, and foggers to provide water and humidity.

From what I've read here, one of the biggest problems is getting a good reliable source of feeders in the State. Crickets supplies are irregular. Breeding those in the humid tropics presents some disease and parasite challenges. I guess no one wants to breed the local roaches, but they would be good food. You could get sterile cultures of flies, I think, and maybe other lab insects. One of the best food sources would be to field-collect grass-hoppers and katydids.

A varied diet is one of the keys to good health.

Best wishes with the new guy. Let me know if I can refer you to some other local keepers.

Last edited:
For those of you who have not seen Jackson's in Hawai`i, they are often found near sea-level. My favorite place is in a botanical garden near Kaneohe, which is at more or less, 300' asl. Its wet there and rains a lot, but its not cold. Ever.

This is where the original introduction took hold.

Agreed,
Hoomaluhia Botanical Garden is a sweet place to visit. Have seen them low on the other side too. Makiki valley as them at low elevations right next to the city. Have also seen them up high along the Aiea loop trail which does get a little cooler at night - like in the low 60's in the winter.
Koshi

I would also suggest that if you're living in Hawaii to raise Black Soldier Flies (Phoenix Worms). I've got tons of them thriving in my compost and they are the main food source for my indoor gold dust day geckos. I'm currently building a 6' tall by 5' x 4' cage for Jackson's but haven't got any yet. Wish I could have brought my dubia colony w me from the mainland since I also haven't found a consistent food supply other than the BSFs.

Back
Top Bottom