New Jackson Male Mouth Open?

DJBMURDER

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I have a male jackson chameleon that is about 5-7 inches and 4 months old approximately, i got it yesterday
Handling - I keep the handling to a minimum, only held him once
Feeding - He's ate about 6 crickets out of my hand today
Supplements - No supplements yet
Watering - Mist about 5-10 times a day 1 minute and use a crude drip system that drains into a dish
Fecal Description - no poop yet
History - bought from a pet store.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I have a 16x16x20
Lighting - I use a repti glo 26 w UVB bulb 5.0 and a red heat lamp for the temp. (brand unknown) I normally keep the UVB bulb on 12 hours a day and the heat bulb on 24/7
Temperature -temp ranges from 75-85
Humidity - I use a drip system for my humidity and mist him 5-10 times a day for a minute a piece, i also squirt water into his mouth
Plants - all plants are fake and he has a fake tree-like perch
Placement - My cage stands 3 feet from the room floor on a wooden stand in a room that is well ventilated and isolated
Location - Im in southern indiana, but he is inside

Current Problem - It has its mouth somewhat open and I turned the heat lamp off, and he still is doing it...sometimes he'll close his mouth but i dont see any odd things inside his mouth and he seems to be pretty active...

PLEASE HELP!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I have a male jackson chameleon that is about 5-7 inches and 4 months old approximately, i got it yesterday
Supplements - No supplements yet
Watering - Mist about 5-10 times a day 1 minute and use a crude drip system that drains into a dish

Cage Info:
Lighting - I use a repti glo 26 w UVB bulb 5.0 and a red heat lamp for the temp. (brand unknown) I normally keep the UVB bulb on 12 hours a day and the heat bulb on 24/7
Temperature -temp ranges from 75-85
Humidity - I use a drip system for my humidity and mist him 5-10 times a day for a minute a piece, i also squirt water into his mouth
Placement - My cage stands 3 feet from the room floor on a wooden stand in a room that is well ventilated and isolated

Current Problem - It has its mouth somewhat open and I turned the heat lamp off, and he still is doing it...sometimes he'll close his mouth but i dont see any odd things inside his mouth and he seems to be pretty active...

PLEASE HELP!

85 is a little high for Jacksons as a good basking spot is normally 80-82 with the rest of getting colder the further down he goes.
The heat lamp shouldn't be on 24/7 and instead of the red bulb use a 40w house bulb so it doesn't get too hot for him.
An open mouth could mean he is too hot or a respiratory infection

ya, its at about 78 degees his mouth is barely open but what would i expect to see if it was a R.I.? I dont see anything out of the ordinary... :(

how do i attach a picture? ill post pics if someone can teach me, i just joined so i need some help...im scared for the little guy...i just got him yesterday!

ya, its at about 78 degees his mouth is barely open but what would i expect to see if it was a R.I.? I dont see anything out of the ordinary... :(

how do i attach a picture? ill post pics if someone can teach me, i just joined so i need some help...im scared for the little guy...i just got him yesterday!

An RI is going to sound like a little cough/popping noise.

To attach pictures scroll all the way down under where you submit your reply.
Also he will be getting use to his new environment and this can take time.

He looks fine to me :)
I would add a little more stuff for him to hide in at the top of the cage but looks good :)

but why is his mouth always gaping? i added a pic of what hes doing? the temp is perfect! thers no way its over 80!

Chameleon Info:
Supplements - No supplements yet I suggest you supplementing lightly with plain phos free calcium every feeding. Balancing out most feeders ca/phos is a good thing to do.

Cage Info:
Lighting - I use a repti glo 26 w UVB bulb 5.0 and a red heat lamp for the temp. (brand unknown) I normally keep the UVB bulb on 12 hours a day and the heat bulb on 24/7 Why do you have a heat bulb on 24/7? Why are you using a red bulb? In the pics, where is the basking bulb?
Temperature -temp ranges from 75-85 Temp ranges where in the cage? What the basking spot set at? Light needs to hang over the top of the cage instead of the side,
Humidity - I use a drip system for my humidity and mist him 5-10 times a day for a minute a piece, i also squirt water into his mouth Never squirt into his mouth. 10 times a day is a little excessive. 3-4 times a day for 3-5 each session. Does his cage dry out between sessions with your current schedule?

PLEASE HELP!

Where did you buy him?

I can see your watering techniques causing a RI. Its hard to tell that he has one at this point from one day of doing this but heck its possible.

i put the UVB lamp over the top as suggested i have the drip system goin ill slow down on the watering i plan on dusting the crickets he just had them done 2 days ago at petsmart, where i bought him....ill stop spraying his mouth...i had a red heat lamp on but people said i didnt need that and it caused it to be too hot, please help, im confused ill post my new set up pics in a sec.

since its a screen cage i put a fan on low and placed it 5 ft from the cage maybe to dry out the humidity? maybe its too humid? idk? i had the heat lamp on him all day maybe he overheated and needs to cool off? maybe its too humid? help plz!

anyone out there?!?!

i attached a pic of him now, he closes his mouth every time i try and get a pic, but you can see its slightly open, its normally about half way open....please help im attached to this wonderful creature

First off: Dont panic ;)

Being concerned is enough. :)

Next: Everything Ataraxia said...

Then: Can you define "crude thermometer"?

You WILL need a basking light. It should be a regular white, household bulb. You may need to try a few different ones, I would start with maybe a 40w. Then is thats too much, or to little, go up or down in watt.

The reason being, is you have to create a temperature gradient.
You dont want it cold in one area, then hot in another. You want it at 83-85F in the basking area(warmest area in the cage) and then a smooth transition down into 70-75F. This way the animal can select its desired temp.

It is all important that you can measure these temps accurately, as it is all important that a proper temp gradient is provided.

Ive never used a fan in my setups, but others do. Id recommend it only for short intervals, and at a very low speed, and far away from the cage.

thanks for your response! I am panicing:( he seems healthy, like i said he ate today, hes been curious going all over the cage today and his eyes are all over the place...perhaps i watered him too much today? i had a red heat lamp which was on all day which may have overheated the poor fella but now i know to use a regular lightbulb for the basking area, which i was just about to ask! you read my mind...he seems to be opening his mouth less...maybe he was just cooling off? Im not sure...he seems healthy, im just a worried parent as my pair of veiled chameleons parished last summer and it literally tore me up....they weren't receiving enough calcium I believe as I was new to raising chams and didnt have proper lighting although i did dust the crickets...he seems to be doing okay hes sleepy now...so my set up is like this....right now its about 76 degrees, i have a fan 5 feet from the cage on the lowest setting...hes in a well ventilated screened cage in an isolated room, lots of foilage and a huge artificial branch like structure...i have a 5.0 UVB repti glo bulb in my light fixture which is directly over the cage. i have moss at the bottom but think ill get rid of it tomorrow as it hides the crickets...he ate 6 large crickets out of my hand today. I have a drip system which consists of a dixie cup with 4 needle sized holes that drip onto the foilage and into a bowl. Should i use a heating pad or how can i keep the temp good at night since i cannot use light?

Id suggest not using a fan. There are quite a few good reads and ideas on here for drainage set ups. I would highly recommend you doing so. If you are a little handy with some tools... Couple hours of your time, a few cuss words..it wont cost much :)

Also to maintain humidity live plants and implementing a ultra sonic humidifier will do the trick.

Your enclosure looks pretty good. I would lose the green frog moss on the bottom and maybe try to put a few more branches or vines horizontal in the cage.

His mouth being open from the last pic almost looks like possible mouth rot..

thanks for your response! I am panicing:( he seems healthy, like i said he ate today, hes been curious going all over the cage today and his eyes are all over the place...perhaps i watered him too much today? i had a red heat lamp which was on all day which may have overheated the poor fella but now i know to use a regular lightbulb for the basking area, which i was just about to ask! you read my mind...he seems to be opening his mouth less...maybe he was just cooling off? Im not sure...he seems healthy, im just a worried parent as my pair of veiled chameleons parished last summer and it literally tore me up....they weren't receiving enough calcium I believe as I was new to raising chams and didnt have proper lighting although i did dust the crickets...he seems to be doing okay hes sleepy now...so my set up is like this....right now its about 76 degrees, i have a fan 5 feet from the cage on the lowest setting...hes in a well ventilated screened cage in an isolated room, lots of foilage and a huge artificial branch like structure...i have a 5.0 UVB repti glo bulb in my light fixture which is directly over the cage. i have moss at the bottom but think ill get rid of it tomorrow as it hides the crickets...he ate 6 large crickets out of my hand today. I have a drip system which consists of a dixie cup with 4 needle sized holes that drip onto the foilage and into a bowl. Should i use a heating pad or how can i keep the temp good at night since i cannot use light?

Chameleons require a complete package from us care givers. you stray to far from the basics and things start to go wild.

No heat will be needed at night unless your temps fall below 50*. In that instance a ceramic heat emitter would be the best suitable heat source.

Yes, ditching the moss will make your life much easier, and provide a healthier/cleaner environment(the moss will harbor bacteria).

A white light is preferred over a red, because it mimics the sun more accurately.

The night temp should drop, about ten degrees(F), from whatever the daytime ambient temp is, going no lower than 50F(although 60F would be more desirable). So usually a heat source is not needed at night.
If it is, a ceramic heat emitter is most desirable.

There is something odd about the way his mouth is open. Usually they have it more open when gaping, although they tend to close it rapidly when a human comes near. Get lots of pics tomorrow, as in focus as possible. Especially of the mouth area.

Also, please clarify, "crude thermometer" :eek:

thanks for the help everyone, hes sleeping it seems but his mouth is pretty wide open....im starting to lose my sanity with this guy..it makes me so sad i don't know what to do i just got him yesterday and to think this happens, such bad luck...whenever i try and snap a picture he closes it....idk.?

Just let him be for the night.

When hes up and about tomorrow, get some pics.

In the mean time, figure out somewhere to get a good thermometer/hydrometer. Most pet shops sell good ones with probes, that you can place anywhere, for around $20.

...and maybe listen to this, and try to relax. ;)

what a wonderful community, thank you all for the hospitality in this hard time for me...i decided to take him back to the pet store to give him a fighting chance as i have already dropped 200 on the cage set up and paid for the lil guy...i figure he has a R.I. or mouth rot...and a vet bill for me would be more than I could handle...the pet store promised they would take him in, take him to the vet and try and get him better, and that if I wanted to purchase him if he recovers I can...do you all think this is the best thing for me to do? I need some moral support :(

anyone? im very sad and need a more experienced and expert opinion on if what im doing is right, i'd get my money back and have this little guy a fair fight at getting better as petsmart promised me they'd take him to the vet today and let me buy him back as long as he gets better....should i do this as he only started opening his mouth up yesterday?

I believe petsmart has a health guarantee, that mandates that they pay for his veterinarian care, if he needs it, within something like 7 days of purchase. Id call them up, and check on this, as you could get him the care he needs, under YOUR supervision, instead of just petsmarts.

Im unsure of the details on this though, others here know more about it...

Id call them up and check on that possibility though, before I gave him back to the people that got him sick in the first place. ;)
Just try and stay as involved as possible.

i called them and they guaranteed they'd get him to a reptile vet today and get him healthy and then if i wanted to buy him back i could, they are a good store unlike some petsmarts and just are unaware of signs of a distressed cham...i believe they will as it states it in their paperwork to and as a business law major, they could get in boat loads of trouble if they dont follow procedure...i dont have the means of getting him to a exotic vet so i feel its my only option at this point...NEVER BUYING FROM A PETSTORE AGAIN....is reptmart a reputable company? what about general exotics? just for future reference.

I think thats a good move, like I said, just stay as involved as possible. Try to find out what vet will see him, and try to talk with that vet directly about his visit if possible.

I have never heard of those companies, so I cant comment on them.

Not every big name pet store is terrible. The majority are though, in my experience. It really depends on the people working there, and their mandated work load. The CEO's just dont care enough to educate, and provide for all the animals they carry. ;/

Back
Top Bottom