New Jackson’s Chameleon, Rex

MikeT13

Hey there everyone, I’m new to the forums here. Figured id start the post by introducing new newest addition to our pet family, Rex, our first Jackson’s chameleon. We’ve had him for a few days now and he’s doing well. I’m not sure what his exact age is, the guy at the local pet store wasn’t sure, guessed around 8-12 months. He’s been eating well everyday. I’ve been feeding 5-7 gutloaded crickets in the mornings. Misting heavily twice a day and making sure he has a source of dripping water throughout the day. We’ve seen him drinking throughout the day. Whenever he’s thirsty I guess haha. D507CB22-598A-4223-8F26-8B3BED1BE029.jpeg CD30685D-FCBA-4FC6-8BA9-EAA344DC4BCF.jpeg

Welcome!

One thing I've noticed is that it looks like you may be running a CFL UVB bulb. Many of us recommend swapping from that bulb to a T5 UVB unit in order to provide spread access of UVB as it's been found that the CFL's provide 'hotspots' of focused UVB which can be dangerous to the chams.

Welcome!

One thing I've noticed is that it looks like you may be running a CFL UVB bulb. Many of us recommend swapping from that bulb to a T5 UVB unit in order to provide spread access of UVB as it's been found that the CFL's provide 'hotspots' of focused UVB which can be dangerous to the chams.
Ok, I’ll have to look into that. So I should look into one that spreads across the whole enclosure?

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Cham! If you’d like to discuss your husbandry, to make sure everything is on point, please let us know.
Thanks! The only thing I’m noticing is he’s not really eating too much the past couple days. He’s just staring at the good I offer him. If he won’t eat the crickets from the tongs, I’ll release them into the cage and they tend to be gone when I get home at the end of the day. So I think he just prefers the hunt lol. Also I’m not sure if he knows where the water drip is. His poo is normal but the Urates are more orange than white.

Thanks! The only thing I’m noticing is he’s not really eating too much the past couple days. He’s just staring at the good I offer him. If he won’t eat the crickets from the tongs, I’ll release them into the cage and they tend to be gone when I get home at the end of the day. So I think he just prefers the hunt lol. Also I’m not sure if he knows where the water drip is. His poo is normal but the Urates are more orange than white.
There are a few things that we should probably address sooner rather than later. I’m going to tag @JacksJill here for some additional help.

Hey everyone, Rex seems to be doing ok. He’s been eating and I think he’s drinking just fine . I haven seen him but his Urates were mostly clear this morning..is clear ok? Or is that a sign of something else. I can’t find anything in research about almost entirely clear urates

Back
Top Bottom