New Herp Alert!!!

CamoChameleonsHuman

Chameleon Enthusiast
Please help me in welcoming my wife's Christmas present. Another male in the house. This time a Hypo Translucent Leatherback Bearded Dragon by the name of "George". I'm not huge on the name but it's her Beardie so.... I'm totally going to call him Cheeto though.
20191222_153702.jpg
20191222_153721.jpg

Last edited:
Just bought him a 36x18x18 Exoterra. He now has his adult enclosure and a T5HO with a 10.0 for the moment. Will most likely be getting him a 12% Arcadia once his bulb is due in 6 months.

Please help me in welcoming my wife's Christmas present. Another male in the house. This time a Hypo Translucent Leatherback Bearded Dragon by the name of "George". I'm not huge on the name but it's her Beardie so.... I'm totally going to call him Cheeto though.
View attachment 254161View attachment 254162
Red translucent Leather back , Steal my heart !!. Congratulations !. Merry merry what a gift !.

Just bought him a 36x18x18 Exoterra. He now has his adult enclosure and a T5HO with a 10.0 for the moment. Will most likely be getting him a 12% Arcadia once his bulb is due in 6 months.
That's suitable for an adult beardie? My girl (I think... she was a rescue) lives in a massive aquarium. I got it off offer up about a year or so ago because it doesn't hold water - it cost me $20, lol! I want to say it's a 110Gal

20191223_205218.jpg
20191223_205228.jpg

To be quite frank, I have no idea their requirements, outside of the basics. I just felt bad for her and figured bigger is better!

I have a 5.0 48" t5ho BUT I use one of the all in one heat bulbs (closely monitored for UV output). She eats like a beast.. I have to restrict her food intake to some degree.

I have no idea what kind this one is, but shes quite large. I know the males get big, could be yours stays smaller.

Regardless, I really do like the red hued ones, they're pretty cool looking. Congrats, beardies are quite fun and have priceless expressions!

That's suitable for an adult beardie? My girl (I think... she was a rescue) lives in a massive aquarium. I got it off offer up about a year or so ago because it doesn't hold water - it cost me $20, lol! I want to say it's a 110Gal

View attachment 254259View attachment 254260

To be quite frank, I have no idea their requirements, outside of the basics. I just felt bad for her and figured bigger is better!

I have a 5.0 48" t5ho BUT I use one of the all in one heat bulbs (closely monitored for UV output). She eats like a beast.. I have to restrict her food intake to some degree.

I have no idea what kind this one is, but shes quite large. I know the males get big, could be yours stays smaller.

Regardless, I really do like the red hued ones, they're pretty cool looking. Congrats, beardies are quite fun and have priceless expressions!
Your girl I believe is a citrus beardie . Their requirements are similar to Chameleon’s regarding lights and supplements . Females often are larger than males .

Your girl I believe is a citrus beardie . Their requirements are similar to Chameleon’s regarding lights and supplements . Females often are larger than males .
She eats a LOT! Like, she will down 2 dozen crickets with ease and will stalk me when I have any feeder. Shes also a huge fan of the massive discoid males and hornworms.

I have no clue how old she is, but assume shes around 2 years or so. How much should I be feeding her?
I'll usually give her about a dozen crickets then a variety of other goodies - roaches, silks, supers, horns, hawk or silk moths.... well, you get the picture. I also give her a salad a few times a week with misc greens, fruit and veg. (She likes whole grapes!) I haven't found anything she wont eat. It actually works out well as I have a female veiled (rescue as well), panthers of all sizes, a skink and a gecko. Whatever grows too big goes to her. (Little to no waste)

She eats a LOT! Like, she will down 2 dozen crickets with ease and will stalk me when I have any feeder. Shes also a huge fan of the massive discoid males and hornworms.

I have no clue how old she is, but assume shes around 2 years or so. How much should I be feeding her?
I'll usually give her about a dozen crickets then a variety of other goodies - roaches, silks, supers, horns, hawk or silk moths.... well, you get the picture. I also give her a salad a few times a week with misc greens, fruit and veg. (She likes whole grapes!) I haven't found anything she wont eat. It actually works out well as I have a female veiled (rescue as well), panthers of all sizes, a skink and a gecko. Whatever grows too big goes to her. (Little to no waste)
She’s between 2 and 3 , Her size looks great . She needs a 10.0 uvb with a basking around 100. Are you dusting her feeders ?? . 3 days around 20 feeders 3 to 4 days salad . She prob like all Berries , pumpkin squash Sweet potato , greens . Collard , dandelion , endive all great . Once a week bath she will need . She as well will produce eggs so watch for that . She probably would like some woods in her condo along with a few logs .

She’s between 2 and 3 , Her size looks great . She needs a 10.0 uvb with a basking around 100. Are you dusting her feeders ?? . 3 days around 20 feeders 3 to 4 days salad . She prob like all Berries , pumpkin squash Sweet potato , greens . Collard , dandelion , endive all great . Once a week bath she will need . She as well will produce eggs so watch for that . She probably would like some woods in her condo along with a few logs .
I had wood in there but she was totally uninterested. Her UV is fine (see the first post re: lights) feeders get dusted with calcium no D3 as she goes outside like the chams. That yellow bin (with the dead crickets, bleh) is her bath tub that stays in her cage. I'm in the process of moving, so it's pretty minimal till mid January. In addition, we give her a good electrolyte soak a few times a month, usually outside, which she seems to enjoy.

She always seems hungry, but I wonder if that was due to her previous habitat. She once ate about 100 BSFL i had sitting on the rim of her tank and left the room... she managed to jump up and knock it down to feast. I probably over feed her, but I feel bad for her - she was pretty skinny when I got her.

I haven't seen any eggs in about 8ish months or so. Not sure how often they lay... but she only digs at night for a cool patch to sleep.

I had wood in there but she was totally uninterested. Her UV is fine (see the first post re: lights) feeders get dusted with calcium no D3 as she goes outside like the chams. That yellow bin (with the dead crickets, bleh) is her bath tub that stays in her cage. I'm in the process of moving, so it's pretty minimal till mid January. In addition, we give her a good electrolyte soak a few times a month, usually outside, which she seems to enjoy.

She always seems hungry, but I wonder if that was due to her previous habitat. She once ate about 100 BSFL i had sitting on the rim of her tank and left the room... she managed to jump up and knock it down to feast. I probably over feed her, but I feel bad for her - she was pretty skinny when I got her.

I haven't seen any eggs in about 8ish months or so. Not sure how often they lay... but she only digs at night for a cool patch to sleep.
Perfect at her age she does not really need much D3 in the way of supplements . If she’s going out she’s good . They can definitely eat :) . She could go a bit of time before eggs . Sometimes they don’t at all . Kinda a
Tossup . As long as your aware and you are :) .

Perfect at her age she does not really need much D3 in the way of supplements . If she’s going out she’s good . They can definitely eat :) . She could go a bit of time before eggs . Sometimes they don’t at all . Kinda a
Tossup . As long as your aware and you are :) .
I am aware, but just on the peripherals. I'm all about picking up additional information, or just alternate ways of doing things. I specialize in chams, but take in all kinds...

Thanks for the info, always appreciate insights!

Sorry to @CamoChameleonsHuman for hijacking the thread!

I am aware, but just on the peripherals. I'm all about picking up additional information, or just alternate ways of doing things. I specialize in chams, but take in all kinds...

Thanks for the info, always appreciate insights!

Sorry to @CamoChameleonsHuman for hijacking the thread!
I’m opposite lol I specialize in beardies 30+ years . They will always be my first love . Chams come in a very close sec , I only have a bit over 4 years experience.

Red translucent Leather back , Steal my heart !!. Congratulations !. Merry merry what a gift !.
I was thinking no trans at all. If he does have it it's recessive. Obviously has the Leatherback and Hypo genes (clear nails and pastel body) but his eyes are amber (not solid black like in most Trans) and no trans showing on belly or beard. He is just starting a shed though. Also he's shoeing more orange than red. I'd put him in the tangerine/orange category.

View attachment 254259View attachment 254260

45 gallons or 36x18x18 is considered bare minimum for an adult Beardie.

I was thinking no trans at all. If he does have it it's recessive. Obviously has the Leatherback and Hypo genes (clear nails and pastel body) but his eyes are amber (not solid black like in most Trans) and no trans showing on belly or beard. He is just starting a shed though. Also he's shoeing more orange than red. I'd put him in the tangerine/orange category.
He’s young yet . He’s a handsome devil already !. You will have so much fun with this guy . They have not funny personalities . There like the dog of the world scaly baby world .

Back
Top Bottom