New here, just saying hello!

Ophelia

Hi guys! My name is Ophelia (or just Opi) Just adopted my first veiled chameleon, her name is Chloe and she is two months old. We adopted her from a professor at our school, she is one of the fourth generation he's bred. As a rule, he's always kept his outside (we live in south FL) but its been much to cold to put her outside since we brought her home. Going to post a few pics and I would love to feed back if any of you have the time- THANKS!

Attachments

• c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 87
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 86
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 86
Yes, the daytime lights include the uvb, and a 75 watt clamp light.
The nighttime light is an infrared light...

What type of light is the UVB? Coiled compacts are potentially dangerous and bad for chameleon eyes depending on brand. I also live in Florida, and when temps drop below 50 everyone comes in. You do not need any night heating for even babies if temps are above 60. There should be no light at night. If temps are below what I suggested, heat the room they are in or use a ceramic heater with caution.

Using a 26w Repti glow (exo terra). It says 5.0 uvb
We have pretty poor heating in the house, its pretty drafty, (Im almost always in socks) so id be worried about heat at night time-
Are you saying I should cut out the infrared altogether?

Welcome to the Forums. This is a great place to learn about chameleons. I'm attaching 2 of my blogs for you below. The first is general info for your new baby and the second is info for a female because she will need a laying bin in a few months. Females can and ofter do lay eggs without a male even being around.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html#comment656

Thanks! I knew they laid eggs without breeding (like chickens)
But what age should we start looking for this behavior?
We have a bio cube we used to use for salt water fish we figured we'd set up. It'll be easy for her to dig in it, and we can easily set up all the necessary lights and such in it - we dont want to use it as our main tank primarily because of stagnant air. I was told they shouldnt have air thats been standing - so we use a screen tank as you can see..

Thanks! I knew they laid eggs without breeding (like chickens)
But what age should we start looking for this behavior?
We have a bio cube we used to use for salt water fish we figured we'd set up. It'll be easy for her to dig in it, and we can easily set up all the necessary lights and such in it - we dont want to use it as our main tank primarily because of stagnant air. I was told they shouldnt have air thats been standing - so we use a screen tank as you can see..

At 5 months old I would provide a laying bin for her at all times. My laying blog will tell you how to set one up.

Already read through the links you gave me- very good stuff, thanks!

I have a question about her colors- Normally she's a nice pale green, but usually about the time she eats, she gets a darker green pattern to her- I posted a pic of it. Is that normal? I thought they only look that way when they're stressed :/

Already read through the links you gave me- very good stuff, thanks!

I have a question about her colors- Normally she's a nice pale green, but usually about the time she eats, she gets a darker green pattern to her- I posted a pic of it. Is that normal? I thought they only look that way when they're stressed :/

Heres a pic of what im talking about

Attachments

• color.jpg
    color.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 69
Also, what are the key tips on handling.
My main fear is giving her a staph infection. I'd imagine thats pretty easy to do- so I make sure to wash my hands with unscented soaps before I handle her every time- But I feel like im not doing it enough, or she is just anti-social.
We take her out of the tank about two three times a day right now...
Would handling her more be the right answer? I dont want her to be a shy pet... Asking to much?

Also, what are the key tips on handling.
My main fear is giving her a staph infection. I'd imagine thats pretty easy to do- so I make sure to wash my hands with unscented soaps before I handle her every time- But I feel like im not doing it enough, or she is just anti-social.
We take her out of the tank about two three times a day right now...
Would handling her more be the right answer? I dont want her to be a shy pet... Asking to much?

I don't think you need to worry so much about staph infection. To my knowledge it's not common with chams.

I am a firm beliver in not cageing animals. Free ranged chams are much happier and healthier IMO. You can check out my profile albums if you are interested. I would highly recommend a large plant or tree for her to hang on when you have her out of the cage and eventually setting up a real FR for her if you have a safe area to do so.

Back
Top Bottom