New here and a brand new owner. Looking for help

Mags

hi guys. I’ve just joined the site so please feel free to point me in the right direction or tell me if I’m doing anything wrong as I want to learn both how to work the forum and how to look after my chameleon best as I can

I have bought a male panther today with a very large glass enclosure, it came with a UV lamp and a heat lamp, some plastic plants and some fake like wood (sorry unsure what it’s called)

I’ve been told a few things about them and researched a fair bit before buying but not sure if I’m heading in the right direction.

I had the little guy home for about 5 hours in the set up before switching the lights off, he was in the pet store most of the day and the guy in the store was great, give a lot of information but wanted to double check a few things

What’s the best way to get the humidity up and monitor it?

Do they need a thermostat installed to keep the enclosure at the right temp?

Is it worth getting a real plant? Will it need to be treated?

Do they eat fruit or just bugs?

should I need to clean the glass?

What things can I add to make him feel more relaxed? Would like to get some sort of rope or rope bridge going across the enclosure

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.. a couple of pics attached

Attachments

• 55216447-13B8-412D-8363-15855476F1EA.jpeg
    55216447-13B8-412D-8363-15855476F1EA.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 153
  • D710CB18-0289-4E03-9A42-92104F343031.jpeg
    D710CB18-0289-4E03-9A42-92104F343031.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 521899E6-B720-4927-B8B2-726FECB74FAF.jpeg
    521899E6-B720-4927-B8B2-726FECB74FAF.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 139
Welcome to the Forums! A good way to get the humidity up is having live plants and misting regularly... also use a humidity gauge to measure the humidity. It is recommended to get a thermometer and a temp gun to make sure your temperature is right. Again it is important but not mandatory to get a real plant.... to keep humidity up and to have hiding places for him. I recommend pothos or a ficus plant because they don’t need to be treated and are safe for the chameleons just incare they eat it. Panther chameleons eat insects like crickets, superworms, hornworms, etc. They rarely eat plants unlike veilds. Most people use screen cages for ventilation reasons but for a glass enclosure you need to clean it regularly. More foliage and branches would make him relaxed because he could have shelter when scared.

You might want to cup feed him at the moment because of the size of the encloser but that’s just my opinion..... :)

hi guys. I’ve just joined the site so please feel free to point me in the right direction or tell me if I’m doing anything wrong as I want to learn both how to work the forum and how to look after my chameleon best as I can

I have bought a male panther today with a very large glass enclosure, it came with a UV lamp and a heat lamp, some plastic plants and some fake like wood (sorry unsure what it’s called)

I’ve been told a few things about them and researched a fair bit before buying but not sure if I’m heading in the right direction.

I had the little guy home for about 5 hours in the set up before switching the lights off, he was in the pet store most of the day and the guy in the store was great, give a lot of information but wanted to double check a few things

What’s the best way to get the humidity up and monitor it?

Do they need a thermostat installed to keep the enclosure at the right temp?

Is it worth getting a real plant? Will it need to be treated?

Do they eat fruit or just bugs?

should I need to clean the glass?

What things can I add to make him feel more relaxed? Would like to get some sort of rope or rope bridge going across the enclosure

Any tips or pointers would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.. a couple of pics attached
First off, welcome!

What type of viv is that? Never seen one like that....

Humidity- Invest in a Mistking. About $100 and will completely automate your watering process. Worth every penny. Live plants are very helpful in creating and maintaining humidity.

Thermostat - I’m all for it, automate as many systems as you can!

Plants - as mentioned above pathos, fica, and spider plants are great options. Your Cham will appreciate the extra hiding spots, especially at this age. He will feel more secure. To a Cham height and hiding spots are right up there with food and water. He would also benefit from a lot more branches. Think of them as roads for your Cham. He should be able to access every area of his viv via plants or sticks. In a Cham viv, empty space = wasted space!

Lighting - not trying to be rude but the UVB CFL bulb you have is useless as a source of UVB. It should be replaced by a T5 fixture.

Cage- What are the dementions of your viv? What is the top made of? A male panther will out grow that viv in less than a year.

@Brodybreaux25 that's not a cage. It's a glass case from Ikea . I have the same one for my collectibles haha. It could work I guess but bugs can get out the edges. The top and bottom is lamenant wood.

Hi, thanks for the response. I’m new to all this. Viv means his case? Not heard that before

Yes there is a gap around the door at the front of the case, I bought the case from the pet store as you see it in the picture. I’ll defo be investing in plants and extra things for him this weekend and I’ll add pictures as I’m happy to take any advise.

Will the blubs be okay for the short term? Or is it best to change them ASAP? I’m not too worried about putting money down, just need it to be right. I’ll be going back to the store today to collect food for him and I’ll have a chat with the guy there and see what he has to say.

Thanks for the reply’s guys :)

Welcome to cham servitude. Best place to start is reviewing the "panther" care sheet. You can find it in the resources tab.
Honestly I would change his entire enclosure. In the meantime you can make what you have work by adding vines, live plants, etc. Would recommend keeping everything away from the bulbs though as he could inadvertantly burn himself on them/the screens they are in.
Photo attached of 1 of my cages. There are tons more examples in other posts for ideas.

Attachments

• 20181228_063259.jpg
    20181228_063259.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 91
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/enclosures/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Never seen something like that used for a chameleon cage. Cant imagine the ventilation is any good in there. Glass enclosures and limited airflow is a recipe for respiratory infections... Not saying a cham cant be kept in that enclosure but I personally wouldn't and cant see it working out.

FYI, always double check the info you are told at pet shops. They are there to sell animals and supplies and in most cases that we see here on these forums, the pet store gives the wrong info in order to make a sale.

Hi, thanks for the response. I’m new to all this. Viv means his case? Not heard that before

Yes there is a gap around the door at the front of the case, I bought the case from the pet store as you see it in the picture. I’ll defo be investing in plants and extra things for him this weekend and I’ll add pictures as I’m happy to take any advise.

Will the blubs be okay for the short term? Or is it best to change them ASAP? I’m not too worried about putting money down, just need it to be right. I’ll be going back to the store today to collect food for him and I’ll have a chat with the guy there and see what he has to say.

Yes, his cage. Viv is short for vivarium.

When you look at his cage, think "forest canopy" visualize what that would look like, lots of fresh air, dripping water, live plants and vines everywhere.....thats where chams live

When you look at his cage, think "forest canopy" visualize what that would look like, lots of fresh air, dripping water, live plants and vines everywhere.....thats where chams live

Agreed all the empty space should be filled like in the wild! Add a ton more leaves and vines,as well as more branches! I recommend the ones linked below:
Leaves:
https://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Rept...s/dp/B0009YEB70?ref_=Oct_RAsinS_2975510011_10
Branches:
https://www.amazon.com/Galapagos-05...i=2975510011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&psc=1
Vines:
https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Ju...i=2975510011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&psc=1

Hi guys, thanks for all the advise, I have added a few more bits to it today, including a habistat, eco terra combo meter. A few add ins inside. I will keep adding to it.

Would it be worth me drilling holes in the top of the case (laminate wood) to help with air circulation? Or would it be better to send this enclosure back? I don’t want him having problems.

Still in the process of sorting the wiring out in the right. I’ve o oh just install the thermostat before posting this.

Attachments

• 003BCF6D-F7FC-4A83-B404-AC6149AA163D.jpeg
    003BCF6D-F7FC-4A83-B404-AC6149AA163D.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 75
I don’t know if holes would do it...but I would recommend just getting a new screen cage. Also I like the new upgrades! Also get a temp gun for backup themperature gauge, it helps to make sure your reptile thermostate is correct..

If you have the ability to return it, I think that would be the best thing to do. You could probably make it work if you had to but you shouldn’t have to beat your viv into submission for it to do what you want it to do.

... but the other upgrades you’ve done look great, your on the right track!

I agree with @Brodybreaux25. The changes you made to that cage look amazing but the cage is going to create a challenge later. The depth and width will hold you back once it becomes an adult. Also risk an RI depending on where you live.

I live in the uk. Winters are cold and summers aren’t the hottest. I’m not sure if I can return the case but I’ll ask. Tbh I’m finding it hard to feed him as there is a gap around the door I can’t just leave the bugs in there for him to hunt. It’s cool to watch but I don’t want him feeding from my hand forever as I want him to hunt for himself.

I live in the uk. Winters are cold and summers aren’t the hottest. I’m not sure if I can return the case but I’ll ask. Tbh I’m finding it hard to feed him as there is a gap around the door I can’t just leave the bugs in there for him to hunt. It’s cool to watch but I don’t want him feeding from my hand forever as I want him to hunt for himself.

I hope you can return that and get something better. I hope you didn’t pay to much for it either because as others have said it is literally a $50 display case from ikea.

I don't want to be rude but in my experience pet store employees often have false information. I would trust the people on this forum far more than a pet store.

Back
Top Bottom