New Guy Here.

Drake

Hello all,

I was browsing this site, and found alot of helpful information and decided to register here. I have 2 Veiled Chameleons, 1 male and 1 female (Which I will be giving to my cousin soon). They've been eating ALOT of crickets as well which I guess is a good sign? I had them for about 3 and a half weeks now, and they both just got done shedding. I have them in a fresh new cage that I built with artificial plants and some sticks, but tommorow I am going out to buy some Ficus, Hibiscus plants etc etc. I have some pics as well, sorry for the quality, I had to resize them, and the quality got a little poor. I couldn't get any better shots of the Chams as they wanted to hide instead of being photographed.

tn_DSCF0145.JPG

tn_DSCF0159.JPG

tn_DSCF0153.JPG

tn_DSCF0157.JPG

Hello Drake, welcome to the Chameleon Forums :D

nice pics. Looks like you are off to a good start. The new plants should improve things.

Hi Drake,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us a few more pictures of your cage? I have heard of people using peg board to build them, but haven't actually seen one.

Thanks,

Heika

Thanks everyone! I will get more detailed pics up later today when there is nothing inside the cage.

I noticed the peg board too. I have also heard of other people using this, especially in low humidity areas. I worry though about the moisture the peg-board would absorb. Anyone using this method ever have problems with mildew?

I'd have the same fears because I like to mist maybe a bit more than needed just to be sure. It would be nice if there was some kind of plastic peg board out there. Does anybody know if there is?

Nice setup. I'm sure they're lovin it. Who needs ficus when you have a plastic setup like that? Lookin good.

Thanks for the compliments. Today I was alittle busy so I couldn't get any pics of the cage, but tommorow I should be able to. I have a few questions though. Kinda hard to explain this but I'll try my best. Why do Chameleons lift up 2 of their legs, move back and forward, then put them back, when they are walking along a branch? Do you guys understand that lol cause I think of a better way of wording it lol.

Thanks.

They're just blowin in the wind... That is,I've always thought they looked like a leaf blowing in the wind. Crickets can never seem to find my cham anyway...so I guess whatever works!

I bought a DVD a while back, "Chameleons of Madagascar" and there are several species that have a much more abrupt, back and forth walk than anything I have seen in my own cham. Really cool video, well worth the $. I have watched it about 10 times now.

Heika

Thats an awsome video. It does a great job of giving you a decent amount of info on a lot of different chams. Definately well worth the money.

Ok I took some pics after I got done cleaning it out.

Enjoy!

Looking inside the cage
tn_DSCF0179.JPG

Front View
tn_DSCF0191.JPG

View of bottom half
tn_DSCF0180.JPG

Top looking down
tn_DSCF0195.JPG

Back view (wires everywhere)
tn_DSCF0184.JPG

Bottom Corner (Sorry this ones blurry)
tn_DSCF0187.JPG

Another top half pic
tn_DSCF0186.JPG

View of front corner
tn_DSCF0190.JPG

Hope you guys like! If you want more just ask. Thanks.

How did I miss that you posted these pics? Thanks so much, your cage looks very nice. I noticed today when I was surfing the Home Depot sight (I love it there) that they had laminated peg board. Is that what you are using in your cage?

Heika

Yes I'm using laminated peg board that I bought at Home Depot. Actually, I bought everything at Home depot. I even mydered (spelling?) the edges of the 1x2 so the screen fits nicely.

Thanks for the compliments!

Opti:

I don't think they have an automated system for selling the dvd's. You can find an email link here: CIN. I highly recommend anyone who is interested in learning more about chameleons and chameleon conservation to purchase the dvd.

dvda.gif

Hi Opti,

I ordered it from the CiN. The email address is [email protected]. Here is the link to the site that has it for sale: http://www.animalarkshelter.org/cin/

Here is a little info about it:

untitled.jpg

This video was shot in Madagascar over a period of six years and includes footage of twenty-eight chameleon species – more species than has appeared in any other nature film to date - representing all three genera present in Madagascar, from the *largest to the **smallest species in the world:

- Calumma brevicornis, Calumma fallax, Calumma gallus, Calumma gastrotaenia, Calumma glawi, Calumma globifer, Calumma nasuta, Calumma oshaughnessyi, *Calumma parsonii parsonii (Parson’s Chameleon) , Calumma parsonii cristifer,

- Furcifer antimena, Furcifer balteatus, Furcifer bifidus, Furcifer labordi, Furcifer lateralis (Carpet Chameleon), Furcifer minor, Furcifer oustaleti, Furcifer pardalis (Panther Chameleon – several color variants from different locales), Furcifer petteri, Furcifer rhinoceratus, Furcifer verrucosus, Furcifer willsii

- Brookesia decaryi, Brookesia nasus, Brookesia perarmata (Armored Chameleon), **Brookesia peyrierasi, Brookesia superciliaris, Brookesia stumpffi,

There is also footage of three African chameleon species:

- Chamaeleo (Trioceros) jacksonii, Chamaeleo (Trioceros) pfefferi, and Chamaeleo (Trioceros) quadricornis

Some of these chameleon species are so rare they have never been filmed before. All the behaviors are natural – you will see courting and mating rituals, prey capture, baby chameleons exploring their environment, and the unusual and sometimes comical locomotion of these colorful arboreal reptiles.

The Chameleons of MADAGASCAR takes you to the four corners of Madagascar and into its diverse and spectacular landscapes where other unique fauna is featured… lemurs, snakes, birds, frogs, geckos and other lizards…all part of the intricate and endangered web of life on this unique island in the Indian Ocean.

BONUS MATERIAL

The DVD bonus material consists of a species profile for each of the 28 chameleon species from Madagascar. Each of the species profiles includes:

Ø A still image of the chameleon

Ø Scientific name of the species

Ø Average total length of adult males and females

Ø Distinguishing characteristics

Ø Range of distribution

Ø Conservation status of the species

The bonus material and scientifically accurate and detailed narration throughout the film are valuable resources for universities, high schools, zoos, conservation organizations, field researchers, wildlife law enforcement, or anyone with an interest in the Chamaeleonidae.

Back
Top Bottom