New frogs (captive bred)

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I got two new Ranitomeya imitator thumbnail frogs and three Dendrobates tinctorius Azureus frogs today! They are so awesome.

The Ranitomeya imitator are endemic to Peru, from the hills surrounding the village of Chazuta
full

You can get a sense of how small this little fella (full grown) is based on the grains of sand he's next to.
full

The Dendrobates tinctorius Azureus originally come from Guyana, Surinam and northern Brazil
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some cool little guys. How will you ever find the first one? He is so tiny, but he still looks like he was painted with a very, very small paintbrush.

Those are some cool little guys. How will you ever find the first one? He is so tiny, but he still looks like he was painted with a very, very small paintbrush.

good question. There are two thumbnail frogs in there, but I could only find one (the male I think) to take photos of. And this is 5 minutes after releasing them both into the vivarium! Ive no idea where she's hiding!

Is the imitator an 'intermedius' or the 'Chazuta' locale? I've never kept the orange imis (only the old line green and Veradero), but those have always been my favorite.

Those are so cool. Thanks for sharing. I have an empty exoterra and frogs just might be next on the list. They look great, I can't believe how small the first one is.

Is the imitator an 'intermedius' or the 'Chazuta' locale? I've never kept the orange imis (only the old line green and Veradero), but those have always been my favorite.

Chazuta! :)

and the female is out and about today. They are remarkably active and fast little creatures. Make the Tincs look like lumbering hulks

congrats on the new frogs. I haven't kept the little ones I breed the Azureus though an just love em...

congrats on the new frogs. I haven't kept the little ones I breed the Azureus though an just love em...
I think they are likely to compete with my Cobalts as favourites with my friends, because of their larger size and personalities.

Im interested to know how you feed and supplement?

Beautiful frogs! I keep a lot of thumbnail species including 3 different imitator morphs. Awesome choice going with the Chazuta's!

I think they are likely to compete with my Cobalts as favourites with my friends, because of their larger size and personalities.

Im interested to know how you feed and supplement?

hiyas Sandra
they def are bold an have a lot of personality..
Like chameleons everyone has a diff opinion on feeding an supplements of frogs.. this is what I do an it works for me.. for the most part I feed fruit flies dusted with Rep-Cal and Herpetvite.. they say adults need to be fed 3 times aweek I offer food everyday.. Ill tap a few flies in an empty deli cup an dust the flies in that then put them in the viv.. I also add springtails an other cleaner crews here an there also to give them a look at something else besides flies but to tell the truth they love there flies..
I love my blues I got another proven pair coming they just haven't made it here yet so ill have two breeding pairs diff lines..

...Like chameleons everyone has a diff opinion on feeding an supplements of frogs.. ..
tell me about it. I've yet to find two people who do things the same!

I use Sticky Tongue Farms Mineral-O and either Repashy Calcium Plus or Herptivite. I usually mix them about 50-50.
I offer fruit flies (usually dusted), bean beetles (usually dusted), grain moths (never dusted), baby mealworms (sometimes dusted), terrestrial isopods (tropical and NA - never dusted) and occassionally termites (not dusted) and baby silkworms (not dusted). I also have springtails and TI in each vivarium for clean-up and chance feeding. I feed most days of the week, sometimes more than once a day, but sometimes skip feeding as many as two days in a row.
Except the mantella, which are fed only twice a week.

which ones do you have? :)

I keep standard green, veradero, banded and Baja Huallaga imi's. I also keep 5 types of pumilio, green 3 stripe trivitattus, 2 types of anthonyi, 2 types of variabillis, green sirensis, lowland fantastica, reticultatus and quinquevitattus. My frog room is the perfect temp for Jackson's chameleons, which is what led me here ;)

I keep standard green, veradero, banded and Baja Huallaga imi's. I also keep 5 types of pumilio, green 3 stripe trivitattus, 2 types of anthonyi, 2 types of variabillis, green sirensis, lowland fantastica, reticultatus and quinquevitattus. My frog room is the perfect temp for Jackson's chameleons, which is what led me here ;)

fabulous! I'd love to see photos
There are quite a few of us who keep both frogs and chams.

Back
Top Bottom