New frogs (captive bred)

Well just so you all know, I don't keep both frogs and chams!! But I do have 4 terrariums sized from 24x24x24 down to 18x18x18. I am thinking frogs, but I really worry about how hard to keep they are.

My younger brother bought a complete set up, terrarium, all landscaped with the frogs and everything from Josh's Frogs. I have never know Josh's Frogs not to sell great products. The whole thing was beautiful, i mean perfect. This was a couple years ago when I went to FL for the Daytona Reptile show. He killed all of it within 2 months. Could just be in was my brother getting something a the show on am impulse. I know it wasn't planned.

But the question here is, will I kill them??? I hate to kill anything. I need some honest advice and input here gang.

tell me about it. I've yet to find two people who do things the same!

I use Sticky Tongue Farms Mineral-O and either Repashy Calcium Plus or Herptivite. I usually mix them about 50-50.
I offer fruit flies (usually dusted), bean beetles (usually dusted), grain moths (never dusted), baby mealworms (sometimes dusted), terrestrial isopods (tropical and NA - never dusted) and occassionally termites (not dusted) and baby silkworms (not dusted). I also have springtails and TI in each vivarium for clean-up and chance feeding. I feed most days of the week, sometimes more than once a day, but sometimes skip feeding as many as two days in a row.
Except the mantella, which are fed only twice a week.

you have it down, I heard usein them 50/50 one reacts with the other or blocks the way its absorbed this comes from other frog keepers not me i was new into the hobby so went along with the dust em diff days routine.
I have all the same cept i haven't tried baby silkworms do they like em?

Well just so you all know, I don't keep both frogs and chams!! But I do have 4 terrariums sized from 24x24x24 down to 18x18x18. I am thinking frogs, but I really worry about how hard to keep they are.

I think they are just as easy, if not easier, than chameleons. You will not kill them :)
Its possible your brother had a group of females - often (depending on type) they prefer one female in a territory, with one or two males, otherwise the females will fight. Its also possible that he had bad luck, or that there was something in the water or the terrarium, or it over heated... But if you follow some really basic care needs, they are quite hardy.

start with a dendrobate tinc - they are super simple. plus they are larger and bold / interesting personalities. Get one female with one or two males.

Last edited:
you have it down, I heard usein them 50/50 one reacts with the other or blocks the way its absorbed this comes from other frog keepers not me i was new into the hobby so went along with the dust em diff days routine.
I have all the same cept i haven't tried baby silkworms do they like em?

I heard that about mixing when I first kept chameleons. Seems nonsense to me, since it hasnt hurt my chams nor my frogs (all of which I've had for years)

the Cobalts love the silkworms. The Leucs less so.

I doubt the thumbnails could swallow them. Havent tried them on the new Az yet.

interestingly, None of my dart frogs or mantella will eat butterworms. They wont even try them.

My younger brother bought a complete set up, terrarium, all landscaped with the frogs and everything from Josh's Frogs. I have never know Josh's Frogs not to sell great products. The whole thing was beautiful, i mean perfect. This was a couple years ago when I went to FL for the Daytona Reptile show. He killed all of it within 2 months. Could just be in was my brother getting something a the show on am impulse. I know it wasn't planned.

But the question here is, will I kill them??? I hate to kill anything. I need some honest advice and input here gang.

Temp seems to be the biggest issue when keeping darts. 75 degrees in the house can be 85 in the viv depending on size of the tank and type of lighting. That can kill a dart frog over time. Also, like mentioned before some species are very aggressive and can cause stress even when it's unseen. If you can keep an all glass vivarium under 80 degrees and keep the humidity higher the 65% than you can keep a dart frog. Like any other pet, feed, water and supplement. Start with one and then get advice from there after you have had it a few months.

I'll post some pics of my frogs and vivs in another thread so I don't hijack this one.

BTW, myself and many other have switched to Repashy supplements only for our darts. Great stuff, has everything they need. Can be used every feeding.

BTW, myself and many other have switched to Repashy supplements only for our darts. Great stuff, has everything they need. Can be used every feeding.

I disagree - RCP should NOT be used every feeding - far too potent for that IMHO. but of course, no dart frog keepers every agree on method LOL

I find the exoterra vivariums, with their screen lids and front vents, don't really retain heat - especially as I only use old UVB tubes or CFLs for lighting, and my home is rarely over 85F. But I also live somewhere that has decent humidity naturally, so I don't find it hard to keep humidity up 50%+ in them either.

Back
Top Bottom