New female Jackson’s, 1 horn

Nicrenee

Hi! Brand new to the forum! I had a rescue veiled with bad MBD a few years ago… did tons of research and kept him in proper conditions… but definitely still consider myself novice to chameleon keeping, and have never had a Jackson’s. Got a female Jackson’s Cham from a pet store yesterday (I know, not the best source.). She was sold to me as just a “regular” Jackson’s. Pet store guy said he only buys captive bred when I asked, but I don’t know or trust that store, it’s an hour away from home. And he had no idea on age or anything. Wondering if some experienced keepers could give me their guesses on age and type of Jackson’s! Her name is Jewel. Thankyou! 💓 Nicole

Attachments

• 952540B5-A17F-4B71-AEA2-08A779032FA0.jpeg
    952540B5-A17F-4B71-AEA2-08A779032FA0.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 8C2939DE-9C8F-4018-87D5-E19A35EB9A10.jpeg
    8C2939DE-9C8F-4018-87D5-E19A35EB9A10.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 87
Hi! Brand new to the forum! I had a rescue veiled with bad MBD a few years ago… did tons of research and kept him in proper conditions… but definitely still consider myself novice to chameleon keeping, and have never had a Jackson’s. Got a female Jackson’s Cham from a pet store yesterday (I know, not the best source.). She was sold to me as just a “regular” Jackson’s. Pet store guy said he only buys captive bred when I asked, but I don’t know or trust that store, it’s an hour away from home. And he had no idea on age or anything. Wondering if some experienced keepers could give me their guesses on age and type of Jackson’s! Her name is Jewel. Thankyou! 💓 Nicole
Such a cutie! 🥰😍

Welcome to the forums! Females from pet stores are often gravid as they have been kept around males. They have the ability to retain sperm and store it for future use. So with that said, it is possible that she is gravid. From the pictures you posted, it's hard to tell if she has a big belly or is just making herself look big as a defensive posture. @JacksJill is the pro with T. jacksonii jacksonii, so I would trust her word over anyone else. It sounds like she's busy at the moment, but hopefully she will be able to tell if your cham is gravid or not from the pictures. If you can take a picture of her relaxing on a branch, that might make it easier for us to determine if she is gravid.

Also, if you want to fill out the form below, either myself or @JacksJill can review it to make sure all your care parameters are on point.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

P.S--She's fricken gorgeous! Welcome to the forums!

Hello and Thankyou! A long day at work and finally home! I think she was puffing up and flashing her colors in defense mode. She is not as full looking when relaxed. I did do enough research to know it is a possibility she could have babies from a previous mating so if it happens one day I at least always have flightless fruit flies on hand for a dendrobates tinctorious dart frog (Frogger) I’ve kept 4 years now in a bioactive enclosure, and I have a tiny 5 gallon boiactive planted tank with no animals in it I could possibly use as an emergency hold for babies for a day until I made other arrangements. Her enclosure is a small screen 16x12x20” I got at the store that was smaller than I imagined when I set it up but I move in 3 weeks so she will be upgraded then. It’s the size she was in the store and she had flashing lights all around her and situated in a busy spot that had to be stressful so hopefully her situation is now just getting better all the time! She’s on my bedroom dresser surrounded by live plants inside and outside the enclosure to hopefully make her feel slightly safer. I live in Sarasota/Bradenton area of central west coast of fl and wanted to figure out over the next month here and doing other research if she would be happy and healthy on a 2nd floor screened porch temp wise (very humid but also hot in summer) free range or enclosed in a huge screen or if she should stay indoors and in that case I will still get her something at least 2x2x48. I have a single canary in a 24”x32”x6’high that has open doors for him to fly out when I’m home, only saying I like my animals to have space. I’ve had her only a day so supplements or anything I’m open to advice! I have calcium without d3 calcium with d3 and vitamins, from what I’ve read calcium without d3 will be most often. Basking is low 80’s ambient low/mid 70’s 70 at night (💓A/C)(temp gun) reptisun 5.0? the smaller kind for the moment but already knowing she will need a longer uvb that stretches the enclosure. Familiar with gut loading. Hand misting at least morning and night but will get dripper and then a misting system for after move. The urate part is white so far which I guess is good? Read white less than 50 Orange is ok? She is a beautiful girl, Thankyou! Any tips/advice is appreciated. I also want Pygmy Chams, if anyone has a good source (for Pygmy) and/or helpful tips for newbies on either types… I’m listening! Thankyou

Hi and welcome to the forum! Your girl is beautiful! I have a Jackson’s Cham so I can share what I know but I’m not an expert. My guy is a Jackson’s Xanthalophus so a different subspecies but I think the care is about the same except of course if she’s gravid. I think as far as having her outside the problem your going to have is the heat. Jackson’s are a montane species that like temps in the mid seventies during the day and in the 50-60 range at night so you may need to keep her inside with an ac. Humidity should be in the 50s during the day and 80-100% at night. As for lights she will need a T5HO fixture with either a reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia long linear bulb at least as long as her cage is wide. She will need around a 60 watt white halogen or incandescent household bulb for basking. These lights will need to be at least 8-9 inches above her basking spot. The compact uvb bulbs the pet stores sell are no good because the uvb they put out doesn’t penetrate more that 2-3 inches from the bulb. For supplements you’ll be lightly dusting all feeders every feeding with plain calcium, phosphorus free and No D3. once a month you will dust her feeders with a vitamin supplement with D3 like reptivite with D3. Yes her droppings should be 1/2 dark and the other half white and 50% orange is ok. A misting system such as a mist king is great because it helps get those high humidities at night as well as bringing her temps down at night.

I hope that the info I’ve given you is a help. If you have any questions just ask! Oh and please do fill out the form posted above by Mendez so we can get an idea of how you’re keeping her and how she’s doing. It just helps us help you. Again welcome!

The smaller side view of her *for now enclosure* before I misted and turned her last light off.

Attachments

• 704866F5-CFEA-4D63-9B2D-8E13564B1531.jpeg
    704866F5-CFEA-4D63-9B2D-8E13564B1531.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 60
Her enclosure looks good although a little small but I know you’re going to upgrade her after you move. I don’t see a long linear uvb light though. That needs to be corrected ASAP because she really needs it. She still looks a little chubby in your new photo so she may be gravid. All the more reason to get that T5HO fixture and reptisun5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb right away. That vine in there is known to be a problem to chams because it degrades over time. When you upgrade her cage it would be best if she had real branches to climb instead of the fake vine.

Hi and welcome to the forum! Your girl is beautiful! I have a Jackson’s Cham so I can share what I know but I’m not an expert. My guy is a Jackson’s Xanthalophus so a different subspecies but I think the care is about the same except of course if she’s gravid. I think as far as having her outside the problem your going to have is the heat. Jackson’s are a montane species that like temps in the mid seventies during the day and in the 50-60 range at night so you may need to keep her inside with an ac. Humidity should be in the 50s during the day and 80-100% at night. As for lights she will need a T5HO fixture with either a reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia long linear bulb at least as long as her cage is wide. She will need around a 60 watt white halogen or incandescent household bulb for basking. These lights will need to be at least 8-9 inches above her basking spot. The compact uvb bulbs the pet stores sell are no good because the uvb they put out doesn’t penetrate more that 2-3 inches from the bulb. For supplements you’ll be lightly dusting all feeders every feeding with plain calcium, phosphorus free and No D3. once a month you will dust her feeders with a vitamin supplement with D3 like reptivite with D3. Yes her droppings should be 1/2 dark and the other half white and 50% orange is ok. A misting system such as a mist king is great because it helps get those high humidities at night as well as bringing her temps down at night.
Thankyou!!! I was thinking that about the heat here. Sounds like you know your stuff from what I learned so far, I really appreciate it! Definitely happy to keep her inside too :)

you are so welcome! I rescued my boy from petco back in the end of June and I’ve learned a lot here since then. I did try keeping Jackson’s chameleons 25 years ago but back then we didn’t have enough information on them or the right information on uvb, supplements etc. We know so much more now and my guy is doing well. I hope yours does well to!

Her enclosure looks good although a little small but I know you’re going to upgrade her after you move. I don’t see a long linear uvb light though. That needs to be corrected ASAP because she really needs it. She still looks a little chubby in your new photo so she may be gravid. All the more reason to get that T5HO fixture and reptisun5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb right away. That vine in there is known to be a problem to chams because it degrades over time. When you upgrade her cage it would be best if she had real branches to climb instead of the fake vine.
I will order/pick her up a better light this weekend for sure. I have only had her since yesterday but have already read that yes you are definitely right about her having more even uvb coverage. And definitely a bigger cage as soon as I move. Kinda want to see where I’d put her main cage first since I move at the end of the month. I definitely want to get her in a larger and even more natural type on enclosure :) I will enjoy having too. Thankyou!

Back
Top Bottom