New Eggs, Kinyongia Multituberculata

Trin

Hello all, today my little girl finally decided to drop her eggs after holding onto them for a month longer than she needed to. This morning at about 11:30 she refused to eat and was wandering a little, I put her in her laying bin, checked on her at about 2:00 to only see a tail peeping out, and then checked her at about 4:30 to find her pushing the last of the dirt into the now non-existent tunnel. She ate after I got her cleaned up a little, drank some, and went to bask under her uvb.

Geraldineafterlaying.jpg

She was just finishing licking up a bit of water off her nose in that pic.

So I went digging, and about four or so inches from the bottom of her over 12" tall laying bin came across her eggs:

eggsindirt.jpg

She surprised me this time, last time she laid 9 infertile eggs (as her first clutch) and this time she dumped 17 on me... I got them in vermiculite but would appreciate any pro tips ^__^

eggsinvermiculite.jpg

Anyways, just thought you guys would like to know, wish me luck!

Congrats. I also use vermiculite to incubate in. Lots or people use a ratio of water to vermiculite but i don't remember what it is. i just filled the container about 1/2 full moistened the vermiculite to where is is damp but not wet. Made a small indent for the eggs, put each egg in without changing the orientation of the egg.

Cover the container and put in a warm - not overly hot closet.
I put mine in an incubator but they say the closet works well. i don't personally know. the rest is how I do mine.

Congrats on her successful laying! I think Laurie pretty much summed it up for ya...
but 72-75 degrees for about a year(11-14 months) should do it for'em!:)

Ah, that's awesome. Nice work reading her signs and having the bin all ready. Congrats and thanks so much for the update.

Aaaaand... just thought you all might want to see the father as well...

7thFrankCharles-1.jpg

I'm hoping they get a good combination of both the parents colors, as the mum has some really pretty gravid coloring and annoyed coloring.

7thFrankCharles-1.jpg

I'm hoping they get a good combination of both the parents colors, as the mum has some really pretty gravid coloring and annoyed coloring.

Oh yeah!!!!! Look at that guy! I can tell you as a fact that yes the babies will be nice. He is as gOod as it gets and I'm sure that mom usually looks much better than after laying eggs.

Last edited:
Ayes, she does look a lot better, I just took some pics of them both today, Frank is shedding, and Geraldine was being vaguely friendly...

Geraldinehandleft.jpg

Geraldinevine.jpg

And Frank:

Franksheddingleft.jpg

Franksheddinghand.jpg

I am currently looking for an incubator, my local petshop owner is very kind and is researching to see what kinda deal he can get me (he knows he'll get to buy any babies I can't sell).

O, does anyone know a way I can reach out to people in/around Syracuse NY so I can get some of the reptiles I own sold/rehomed? I was left with a few too many.

Lol look at the tail in the last pic!

Sounds to me like you need to work out a trade chams for an incubator.

All i can say is don't let them know you are overloaded or desperate to move them.

Yea, he loves to show off his tail, often has it uncurled when he's on a hand... and I'm not desperate to get rid of them, I could easily keep 'em for another year or two, but I'd rather people who'd be crazy about 'em have 'em.

I wish I had a better cam, so I could get better pics, these were taken with my phone XD

I've got the frozen water bottle, cooler, temp gauge method working for me, but it's a bit annoying to have to keep such a super strict eye on the temp for the eggs!

Ya just get the incubator. Even if that means selling the adults. The eggs are way more important.

Obviously I think you should sell all your other species first but no matter what you do just keep the female and mate her one more time. That way you can get 1 - 3 more clutches from her.

Right now I only want to keep three of my reptiles, meaning I'm offloading a giant day gecko, blizzard morph leopard gecko, male red tail boa, male meller's, and a female veiled. I'm keeping the two kinyongia, and my beardie (I've had him since he was only a month old.. there's no way I could ever sell him... ).

Yea, I've got to get an incubator though... but I'm sure I'll work it into my finances, I always manage to work the important things in :)

>.> Add to that, the 'rents are in town, so I'm sure food will find its way into my fridge that wasn't there before and that I didn't have to pay for :D so that's one less expense for this month.

I'm keeping the two kinyongia, and my beardie (I've had him since he was only a month old.. there's no way I could ever sell him... ).

Excellent. That great to hear. IF things get too difficult that what the KCK is for -- the important thing is that you need to find a new home before it gets urgent.

I use The thinkgeek.com mini fridge. LLLreptile also sells the same thing if thinkgeek is no longer around. I got mine quite a few years ago. Congrats on the eggs and the adults look nice!!

Why don't you try putting an ad in the misc classified here on the forum? I mean it is free and you never know what someone might want. You could also do craig's list, but them you have to be way careful screening the people.

Back
Top Bottom