new chameleons

mowgley

i have 2 fishers(not sure if male and female) about 5-7inchs long.....for now there in a 30 gallon tank.
i need a little help about set up...i have a uva/avb light a basking light on one end that is on a timer that comes on for 6 hours in the middl of the day.
the ambeint temp stays between 70 - 80. the basking area gets up to the 90's. i have a mister that goes off every hour for 15 secs and a humidifer that goes off ever hour for 15 minutes..its stays80-90 except when the basking light is on and drops to 70.i have them for about a week there color is kinda dark green with a little brown and some white...once or twice one was real light green with blueish color band. hopefully by the end of the week ill ahve a 65 galoon screen cage. are the stressed? are there color normal?could they both be males and stressed?

mowgley said:
i have 2 fishers(not sure if male and female) about 5-7inchs long.....for now there in a 30 gallon tank.
i need a little help about set up...i have a uva/avb light a basking light on one end that is on a timer that comes on for 6 hours in the middl of the day.
the ambeint temp stays between 70 - 80. the basking area gets up to the 90's. i have a mister that goes off every hour for 15 secs and a humidifer that goes off ever hour for 15 minutes..its stays80-90 except when the basking light is on and drops to 70.i have them for about a week there color is kinda dark green with a little brown and some white...once or twice one was real light green with blueish color band. hopefully by the end of the week ill ahve a 65 galoon screen cage. are the stressed? are there color normal?could they both be males and stressed?

I'm no expert on Fishers but here goes! Make sure to keep them in different cages far from each others view. Get them screen cages asap. Youwould need to keep the lights on way longer than that about twice that. You also need to increase your misting by waaaay more. I'm not really familiar with fisher husbandry but some of this stuff is pretty standard with most species.

I agree with Opti

1. Keep them seperate and out of each others eye sight

2. The UVB tube needs to be on for 10-12 hours a day

3. Get them out of the tank asap!

Can you post photos up here of them? I used to keep a male Fischer chameleon (for over 3 years - a wc one). I will be able to tell immediately by a good clear photo what sex they are and if they are stressed or unwell. It is important to establish their sex asap as two males together in the one viv will be disasterous.

Last edited:
Hi mowgley, welcome to the chameleon forums :D

I agree with opti and chamgirl, you need to rethink your caging setup asap. How are you draining the aquarium of the water left from the mister/humidifier? I have never kept a fischers, but I would expect a respiratory problem would occur. Looking for a cheap reptarium(s)? Try froogle: reptarium

Back
Top Bottom