New Chameleon

Evie091

Hi!

I am a new Yemen chameleon owner and I have a few questions. My cham is doing really well and eating crickets. I bought him from a reptile shop so I'm not sure how old he is. I tried to make a diy dripper today but it just ended up pooling water on the top of his mesh enclosure. I'm worried he is not drinking enough despite me misting him multiple times during the day. He has also only pooed once during the 5 days he has been with me. Is there anything I can do to help him? I'm also wondering when to give him other supplements apart from calcium like the shed ease stuff and the earth pro a I think it's called.

Hi there, since you're new to the wonderful world of chameleons, I recommend a full husbandry review. This way, you can ensure that you are doing right for your little guy :)
Copy/paste the form below, and fill in the answers.

Most people make a dripper by poking a tiny hole in a cup or water jug, but setting up a good drainage system is important too. Fill in as much information as you can, and feel free to ask questions where you're not sure. Photos help too!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

Hi!

I am a new Yemen chameleon owner and I have a few questions. My cham is doing really well and eating crickets. I bought him from a reptile shop so I'm not sure how old he is. I tried to make a diy dripper today but it just ended up pooling water on the top of his mesh enclosure. I'm worried he is not drinking enough despite me misting him multiple times during the day. He has also only pooed once during the 5 days he has been with me. Is there anything I can do to help him? I'm also wondering when to give him other supplements apart from calcium like the shed ease stuff and the earth pro a I think it's called.
Hi and welcome! :) Many chameleons are very secretive about drinking. I’ve given up hope of ever seeing any of mine take a drink. Misting should be for at least 2 minutes about 3 times a day. You want everything to dry out in between. As long as his eyes aren’t sunken in and his urate is whitish, he’s hydrated.
For supplements it all depends on which type you are using. As you mention Earth Pro A and shed ease, I assume you’ll be using Arcadia brand. Those are great supplements! You’ll use the Earth Pro A for 3 feedings, then use Calcium Pro-Mg for one feeding, 3 more feedings with Earth Pro A and then one feeding with Revitalize D3 and continue on with this schedule. The shed ease isn’t really needed. It’s just as important to have the correct uvb and all other aspects of husbandry correct. This is a fantastic site that will give you all the basics. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Your Chameleon - Male, Yemen Chameleon, not sure of age as I wasn't told when I got him. He has been with me for a 4 or 5 days.
Handling - He crawled onto my arm during feeding yesterday for the first time.
Feeding - I am feeding him crickets, and waxworms as a treat. He tends to eat 7-10 crickets but as I'm not sure of his age I don't know what I should be giving. I feed him in the morning but sometimes the crickets jump out of the pot and he just finds them through the day and he also seems to like to eat a few hours before I turn his lights off. I am giving Them veg with arcadia insect fuel on it and bug gel.
Supplements - I am using arcadia calcium pro mg. I also have EarthPro a and shedsupport but the only one I have used so far is calcium. I don't yet have a schedule as I am still trying to figure how often he needs it.
Watering - I mist his enclosure about 3 times a day for 1 or 2 mins. I sometimes see him drinking after misting but I doyn see him drinking of the leaves.
Fecal Description - Feces is dark brown and the urate is slightly tinged yellow. He has only pooed once in the past days I have had him. Consistency seems normal from what I have researched. I don't think he has been tested for parasites.
History - I don't really know any of his history.
Cage Info:

Cage Type - Mesh enclosure 61 x 61 x 122 cm (24" x 24" x 48")
Lighting - arcadia e27 solar basking floodlight, 150W Uva and arcadia prot5 uvb, 24W, 12% UVB. I tunr his lights on around 8:45 am and turn them off around 8:45 pm.
Temperature - I'm not sure what the temps are as I have ordered a thermometer but It hasn't arrived, which is worrying me.
Humidity - I am also unsure of humidity levels as I have again ordered a hygrometer but it hasn't arrived.
Plants - I'm sure fake plants for right now but am looking into getting live plants.
Placement - The enclosure eis in my bedroom, there are no fans, air vents and it isn't a high traffic area. The top of the enclosure is 194 cm from the floor.
Location - I live in the UK.

I have some pretty general worries that I have listed most off above.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_20201207_125042.jpg
IMG_20201208_174501.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum. Many good people with sound advice to answer any questions you may have.

The water bowl is there just in case although they don't use it. The original bowl I got had holes in the bottom so I am using that one for now. I'll definetly put a branch under the uvb. Thank you.

The water bowl is there just in case although they don't use it. The original bowl I got had holes in the bottom so I am using that one for now. I'll definetly put a branch under the uvb. Thank you.
You want to pull out the bowl hun. Chams do not drink from standing water. They drink from moving water. Dripping off leaves etc.

What are the differences between caring for a female or male Yemen chameleon, I want to make sure I am taking the best care of them possible. Also, can anyone identify what kind of age they are?

Female veileds can have egglaying issues if not looked after properly as adults. (Care for males and females is basically the same until they reach maturity.)

I am going to give a few tips to help her weight as she may be moving towards the heavier side.

1) Print off a calendar online, or use your calendar to keep track of when to feed, what supplements to give, and maybe even what food to give.

2) Give high-fat foods every so often, so feed foods with low-fat content more often.

3) Ages 5-6 months (5-7 feeders every other day)
7 months (3 feeders every other day)

Back
Top Bottom