New chameleon white on casque after shed

Honestly it is not presenting the way a typical burn does... I am kinda leaning away from burn. But keep a close eye on it. Let us know when that comes off and take new pics. I would like to see how the skin under it looks.
Here's an update

Attachments

• 20220721_195414.jpg
    20220721_195414.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220721_195408.jpg
    20220721_195408.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220721_195355.jpg
    20220721_195355.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 67
Interesting... is the white coating off now? Its hard to tell but I do see a difference in color which if it was a regular shed you would not see. Take a few pics under normal light when you get a chance.
It's a super pale green now when she's not her sleeping colors like the last set of photos I sent. There's no longer any flaking.

Don't mind her angry face she's not pleased with the paparazzi but was rewarded with a hornworm for being a good girl.

Attachments

• 20220722_101957.jpg
    20220722_101957.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20220722_101955.jpg
    20220722_101955.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220722_101951.jpg
    20220722_101951.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220722_101948.jpg
    20220722_101948.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 57
It's a super pale green now when she's not her sleeping colors like the last set of photos I sent. There's no longer any flaking.

Don't mind her angry face she's not pleased with the paparazzi but was rewarded with a hornworm for being a good girl.
Ok then it is a burn... So you need to double check temps and if you haven't switch out that heat bulb to a regular incandescent. Typically you want heat fixtures to be lifted up off the cage so that there is a good 10 inches between the bottom of the fixture and the branch. This way where they rise up they are not being exposed to high heat.

I would also suggest a husbandry review so we can check everything.

I’m not directly going to interfere with this thread because you’re in good (and even better) hands with Beman. However, I do have one question, did you by chance ever checked the UVB light, not directly the levels, but there’re test cards that can be used to check if bulbs give any UVB radiation. Because, too often the UVB light are broke directly from the store (they light up, but don’t give any UVB) this could explain her dull colors. Just something that popped up in my mind.

I double checked all the distances of the bulbs and branches. There's 11 inches between the highest point of any branch and the fixtures. I added some more branches lower in the enclosure but she doesn't seem interested in them yet. As for her colors, she's always pretty dull but is starting to be a bit more comfy in her new home and perks up color wise when it's breakfast time and comes and waits by her dish. Sleeping she's always a lovely bright green (newest photo attached). It's easier to get update photos while sleeping since she's still a little leary of me as I've had her roughly 2 months and I'm not trying to pressure her into interaction.

I did check the uvb levels, and do weekly (I tend to be over cautious). Everything is outputting well. I tested Temps across the very top of the enclosure in case she's hanging out on the screen when I'm not in the room and it's 79° at screen level.

I've got two temp/humidity readers in the enclosure at various levels and they're reading at appropriate Temps for their location and check with a temp gun daily throughout incase the mistking knocks out one of the probes.

Attachments

• 20220725_222326.jpg
    20220725_222326.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 47
Could this be a friction burn from rubbing head it just looks weird. Almost like it healed overnight and amazingly well.

I double checked all the distances of the bulbs and branches. There's 11 inches between the highest point of any branch and the fixtures. I added some more branches lower in the enclosure but she doesn't seem interested in them yet. As for her colors, she's always pretty dull but is starting to be a bit more comfy in her new home and perks up color wise when it's breakfast time and comes and waits by her dish. Sleeping she's always a lovely bright green (newest photo attached). It's easier to get update photos while sleeping since she's still a little leary of me as I've had her roughly 2 months and I'm not trying to pressure her into interaction.

I did check the uvb levels, and do weekly (I tend to be over cautious). Everything is outputting well. I tested Temps across the very top of the enclosure in case she's hanging out on the screen when I'm not in the room and it's 79° at screen level.

I've got two temp/humidity readers in the enclosure at various levels and they're reading at appropriate Temps for their location and check with a temp gun daily throughout incase the mistking knocks out one of the probes.
Can you tell me what UVI reading you are getting at her highest branches?

I don't have a solar meter yet just the cards. It's on my shopping list but I opted for the mistking first as it's really dry here.
Ok so this may have something to do with her darker colors... With the T5HO single bulb fixture and the 5.0 bulb you want a measured 8-9 inch distance to the branches below it. So you would measure from the bottom of the fixture to the branch. With them being at 11 inches this is going to drop the UVI level quite a bit. So you will want to add a branch at the correct distance below the uvb so she can get into the 3 uvi level.

Ok so this may have something to do with her darker colors... With the T5HO single bulb fixture and the 5.0 bulb you want a measured 8-9 inch distance to the branches below it. So you would measure from the bottom of the fixture to the branch. With them being at 11 inches this is going to drop the UVI level quite a bit. So you will want to add a branch at the correct distance below the uvb so she can get into the 3 uvi level.
Should I move the heat up then to keep 11 inches from that or keep then at an equal distance?

Should I move the heat up then to keep 11 inches from that or keep then at an equal distance?
So depending on your lighting set up you should be able to add a branch so that it is only below the uvb at the correct distance instead of under both. If not then you would raise heat as well and add a few branches at the 8-9 inch distances to give her options for basking.

It's been a hot minute and I forgot to check back in with the improvements. I moved her to a different room as she was in my office and I thought she'd like more alone time and had better options for her lighting, used the lattice idea, and got her some more plants. She had a shed and her casque is looking better as well.
20220823_195815.jpg
20220823_195821.jpg
20220823_200018.jpg
20220823_195925.jpg
20220823_195954.jpg

Can you still enjoy her, in her new room? When they got their foliage and hide away options they really don´t sitting with you in your office ;) My chams are also in the office and living room and love to discreetly see them.

Can you still enjoy her, in her new room? When they got their foliage and hide away options they really don´t sitting with you in your office ;) My chams are also in the office and living room and love to discreetly see them.
I am! She's in with all the other reptiles now so I have seating in there and I sit and watch on breaks and such. In the office she was behind me and I have three sides covered so I couldn't see her as much

Hi everyone,
I'm a new chameleon owner and have had this guy for 5 months. Recently his casque has been getting dryer/whiter. Is this normal as they grow or is there something wrong and/or something I can do to help? He's very healthy and eats well.
TIA, Andy

Attachments

• 20221017_163411.jpg
    20221017_163411.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom