New chameleon questions!

jackson08

So I got a new female veiled cham today. I am asking what to do when they are pregnant. I heard to put a 6 inch spot of sand in the cage for them to lay eggs. Is this a true thing to do? Also do I need a certain temp I heard you want the cage around 70 degrees also is this true? When are females able to lay and how can you tell? Anything will help I am reading up on it but to hear from people it has happened to will help a lot more. Thanks!

This is far as I know about females :)

You put them in about 10 inches of DIRT (organic, clean), not sand. Leave 'em alone for a while. You can put the tub in her enclosure if it will fit. I'm pretty sure ambient (so 70's good) temps are good.

It will take them a few days to fully complete, and remember, no food or water, just dirt ;). Other members please add.

I just got my male a month ago and he's a real awesome dude :D:D

Of course they need water!

A laying bin at least 12x12x8 inches is recommended to be in the cage by 5-6 months old. Fill it with moist clean soil or playsand. It should be able to hold a tunnel so she can lay in it if she needs to.

To prevent laying or at least have her produce fewer eggs:
Keep ambient temps around 70, and basking temps around 83 or so. Lower temps and food means she may not produce eggs. When she hit maturity, many people feed the females less (every other day instead of every day) to help prevent laying as well. The less she lays, the easier it is in her body. If she isnt breeding, its best to try and prevent eggs to keep her stress down and her health up!

So I got a new female veiled cham today. I am asking what to do when they are pregnant. I heard to put a 6 inch spot of sand in the cage for them to lay eggs. Is this a true thing to do? Also do I need a certain temp I heard you want the cage around 70 degrees also is this true? When are females able to lay and how can you tell? Anything will help I am reading up on it but to hear from people it has happened to will help a lot more. Thanks!

Hi!

First up, I think you need to read Kinyonga's blog post on keeping female veileds: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

It's all about how to reduce the chances of an infertile clutch and the size of any infertile clutch.

Females can produce eggs as early as 4 months (though, that's rare...I just felt I had to give you the bad news), so you need to have a bin in there for her pretty much from the get go.

The blog I linked will tell you all you need to know about temperatures and provisions. I cannot recommend it enough.

Back
Top Bottom