New Chameleon Owner

element13

Hey all!

I have a friend who has pet shop but doesn't get chameleons in normally. I had told him once I had always wanted a panther chameleon. Yesterday he called and said if you would like a healthy 4" Male panther he is yours. From the sounds of it someone purchased it on a whim and realized how difficult it was to keep they decided to give it to the pet store.

So I am the new owner of a 4" male panther. Pics to come. Any idea of his age?

The only thing that came with the animal was a "to small" enclosure 18x12x18 but it has to do till I build him another this coming week. Thankfully he is still young. I also received a drip mechanism that works fairly well.

After a bit of stress he seems to have acclimated well and already eaten and drinking.

So now for the questions....

Lighting....

In a pinch I bought these bulbs..... It was the ONLY UVB bulb he stocked but based on what I saw it should do well since the enclosure is small. I can upgrade when the new enclosure is complete. The basking bulb sadly isn't doing the job. All the other options were to hot for a cham in such a small enclosure. His basking spot is only 80 degrees.

Will this bulb work till the new enclosure is complete? If not any suggestions for such a small enclosure.
Do they make LED lights for Chams? My friends shop has plenty of Led lighting for coral tanks but nothing for chams.
I plan on having live plants and have an LED grow light I could use. Any Concerns?

Food....

I grabbed tasty treats "waxworms and mealsworms" assuming he would be stressed from the travel but might eat with a tasty treat. Any issues with this for now and then on to varied diet when I am settled with an enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 121
My Led grow lights are for the plants not the cham. Just concerned if an additional light will harm the cham.

Good luck with your chameleon.
You will need:
24"x24"48" screen cage

Liner lighting with 5.0 uvb bulb

Basking should be in the low 80s for young chameleons but after they are 5-6 months old upper 80s. No lights or red lights on at night.

Misting a few minutes, 3-5 times per day.

Food. No meal worms or wax worms ever

Supplement calcium without D3 every feeding. 2xs per month with D3 and 2xs per month multivitamin.

Check out the care sheet for more info.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

Thank you.

I am going to build him a great enclosure but I just want to make sure he is ok till the weeks end.
"Basking should be in the low 80s for young chameleons but after they are 5-6 months old upper 80s. No lights or red lights on at night."
He is 4" long....Any idea how old? Nothing is on at night. I only bought the light because it was the only one that wouldn't bake him.

Sorry about the waxworms and mealworms. I just remember reading to feed them as a treat ONLY so I figured he might not eat so may a treat will get him to eat.

Thank you.

I am going to build him a great enclosure but I just want to make sure he is ok till the weeks end.

He is 4" long....Any idea how old? Nothing is on at night. I only bought the light because it was the only one that wouldn't bake him.

Sorry about the waxworms and mealworms. I just remember reading to feed them as a treat ONLY so I figured he might not eat so may a treat will get him to eat.
hey i also built my own enclosure i can tell you how i built it if you want!

Cabinet maker by trade so I was just going to look at other custom enclosures and take the bits and pieces I like.

I would love some pics or a link to a site.

Cabinet maker by trade so I was just going to look at other custom enclosures and take the bits and pieces I like.

I would love some pics or a link to a site.
yeah! mine took me about 5 ish hours but that's because I had to cut all the wood and stuff... I kinda just looked up some pictures to get a basic idea (ill attach some) and ill send you a picture of what I ended up building. the first one is the one that gave me the idea and the second one is
mine I used 10x8" wood 1 by 2 planks, a wood saw, nail gun, staple gun, some silver screen and wood glue I can go into more depth with measurements and stuff if you want!
Cage24x24x48.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg

Exactly my thinking! Maybe someone can chime in.

Here is what I have selected for my set-up...
--t5 Hood and Bulb
--MistKing (Unless someone has a better brand that does a similar thing)

Can anyone recommend a Basking Light?

Exactly my thinking! Maybe someone can chime in.

Here is what I have selected for my set-up...
--t5 Hood and Bulb
--MistKing (Unless someone has a better brand that does a similar thing)

Can anyone recommend a Basking Light?
Also for a basking light just use whatever watt house bulb from the hardware store, no colors, that will hurt a chameleons eye

Thanks....MarkX I saw that flyer but to be honest I assumed it was the "type" of bulb and not that you could simply use a house bulb.
You can simply use a house bulb as long as it's a halogen not LED. Most people prefer the Phillips 60w plant bulb. Or a Philips 60w Halogen Floodlight. They give off heat and UVA

I have dubia roaches and crickets. Sometimes the chameleons won't eat the roaches. For your little guy you'll be better off with 1/4" crickets. The width of the prey should be any wider then the inside width of the chameleons eyes, as a rule of thumb.

I have dubia roaches and crickets. Sometimes the chameleons won't eat the roaches. For your little guy you'll be better off with 1/4" crickets. The width of the prey should be any wider then the inside width of the chameleons eyes, as a rule of thumb.
well.... some times they don't but you can kinda "make them" like them kinda like how your mom will make you eat your veggies just put only dubias in their enclosure and they will eat them! eventually

Thanks.

I was thinking of raising the Dubai Roaches based of a few searches. I will need to call them beetles to get them by the boss though. :)

I will keep him on crickets until he gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom