New Chameleon Owner

Okiman

Hello! I just got my first chameleon about 1 week ago. His name is Gumby and as of right now, I don’t know an exact age, but by reading and doing some research, I think he is around 4-5 months old. I started out by reading around in the forums to gain information about chameleons so that when I got mine, I would have a good understanding—I still have many unanswered questions. The cage I have was built by myself; its 24”x34”x48”. I have a UVB (10.0) and a basking bulb, which I keep on for 12 hours every day; they are on a 12 on/12 off timer. The humidity fluctuates at around 55%-80%, and the temperature always stays around 75. His basking area is 85-90—I keep moving it because I am scared it is too hot. For misting, I use a hand pump with room temp water and I have a dripper for drinking. All of the plants in the tank are real, except for the black vines.
Problems so far…..
He has not really changed his color much. He has been a grayish color since I picked him up from the pet store. At that time, he was shedding. I am thinking his color is that way because of stress caused by a new environment?? Also, just recently one of his eyes closed and I catch him rubbing it on the branch—this has me pretty scared. Since the one eye has closed, he does not want to eat as much anymore. I read somewhere that the UVB light I have may be too much and that could have caused his eye to close, but I’m not sure. As of right now, I have taken the top branch off to distance him from the UVB--might end up replacing it with 5.0. I have seen him drinking water though so that is a relief. Oh yea, later in the afternoon it seems like he knows the lights are fixing to go out because he will go down into the same spot and then he will change a light green color.

I have attached pictures of my cage and of Gumby.
Any advice on how to care for my little guy/ or cage recommendations would be much appreciated!!
Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• CAM00063.jpg
    CAM00063.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 122
  • CAM00194.jpg
    CAM00194.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 120
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 94
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your chameleon. Gumby's colors don't look bad in the photos but closing the eye is not a good thing. What brand UVB light? I recommend a Reptisun 5.0. I also keep my young veiled's basking spot cooler.....85 to 86. I also recommend hanging those lights up off the cage. A new UVB bulb puts out extra UV that can bother there eyes. I've had it happen with my veileds even with the 5.0. You also need to add more live plants near the top.....maybe a couple of nice hanging pothos. You can look at the enclosure threads to get ideas on how to set up the enclosure.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/official-enclosure-picture-thread-49688/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/official-enclosure-picture-thread-2-post-your-pics-94781/

Also my blog for new keepers for how I recommend to raise veileds. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Last edited:
Okiman,

Based on your photos I'd say your male Veiled is a little bit older, perhaps 6-9 months. At that age I use a little bit warmer basking spot 95-100F, with the rest of the cage 80F or below. Veileds are from an extremely hot and arid climate and tend to like it warmer than montane or Madagascar species. Also if your living conditions support it I recommend an outdoor enclosure for natural sunlight for at least a few hours a day (provide plenty of shade in/over the cage so he can thermoregulate)....the climate in Okinawa should support that year-round....

Back
Top Bottom