New Chameleon owner - sex and retained shed :'(

Just got this Cham 2 weeks ago.... Did not realize there was retained shed until last night, applying olive oil, and spraying/keeping humidity 60-70%, any other recommendations?
Also, not seeing spurs but my husband swears he sees spurs.

The olive oil is not to be uaed. It will cause problems in rhe next shedding. Small remnants of shed are normal even in wild soecimen

This is definitely a female

Yiunkeeo too hogh humidity. The ideal state is do not
Mist at daytime but only in rhe evening after lights aee off and early morning before they go on.
Daytime humidity for asults can drop even under 30% but it is natural for them to have high humidity ar night above 90% incl. daily fog. So, using a fogger is ideal

That’s a female, and I’m worried about her tail, and the bruising on that front leg. Please fill out the how to ask for help questionnaire, lots to look over.
Thanks I will. I work for a Veterinarian as well and taking her in tomorrow. Also extremely worried (just started looking rough 2 days ago, and started researching what could be wrong, she uses it well still, actually already looks better after applying oil)

That tail just started looking like that two days ago? That looks like many cycles of stuck shed, or an old bite/pinch mark.

That tail just started looking like that two days ago? That looks like many cycles of stuck shed, or an old bite/pinch mark.
At the pet store we did not see it, we noticed it turning dark a day after, I assumed it was a possible injury from the tub we carried her home in? She has shed once since home, which is when it started looking constricted.

Really looks like a cuff... You can see much better than we can, does it look like there is something wrapped around her tail in that one spot? Something that looks like a sausage casing?
It looks as if a string we're wrapped around it. Even with the dark I can still see her scales, but not right at the "cut".

Well then this will have to be a judgment call on your part. If it is a cuff, this is the only time it’s acceptable to intervene on a shed. Reapply the oil a couple more times and see if you can work it loose. She won’t appreciate this so you’ll need a helper.

If it just looks like a raw wound, just wait to get to the vet.

Well then this will have to be a judgment call on your part. If it is a cuff, this is the only time it’s acceptable to intervene on a shed. Reapply the oil a couple more times and see if you can work it loose. She won’t appreciate this so you’ll need a helper.

Thank you, really appreciate your help, will have my husband try and help! Thankfully I work for a vet, so she will see him tomorrow.

Brody, wanted to thank you again and give you an update.
My husband and I got the tourniquet of shed off of her tail. We soaked it with olive oil for a few minutes, then I held her and he rubbed it gently with a q-tip....it came off after a few minutes of working on it.
It's bright pink but the blood flow has obviously returned, hopefully it will heal up well. Will keep an eye on her right front arm discoloration.
Will keep you updated....

Please keep a very good eye on it. Worst possible outcome is it getting infected and the tail past the wound will require amputation. I'm not sure what a good antibiotic ointment would be for, or if it's safe to use any OTC ointments in treating it but I know @Brodybreaux25 will know and chime in.

Please keep a very good eye on it. Worst possible outcome is it getting infected and the tail past the wound will require amputation. I'm not sure what a good antibiotic ointment would be for, or if it's safe to use any OTC ointments in treating it but I know @Brodybreaux25 will know and chime in.
I still plan on taking her in to the vet to verify, am sure he will have something to ensure she won't get an infection.

Back
Top Bottom