New Chameleon Owner (Review Appreciated)

Be careful with those turtle eye drops ….they contain prEformed vitamin A which can build up in the system and cause health issues…but I can’t tell you how many applications of it would cause that or even if it would happen for sure because they don’t list the amount on the bottle…and I’m not a vet either BTW. I just know that the D3 and the prEformed vitamin. A have to be in balance and that the prEformed vitamin A can build up in the system.

also…those drops don’t appear to be an antibiotic that would help with an infection…if that’s what’s going on.
Thank you so much. The directions say do not use for more than a week but I’m planning a vet visit before then. He started gaping today :( I’m very worried about him.

When he gapes, does he point his nose upwards? Make some noises? Does he have lots of stringy saliva?
No he doesn’t but he isn’t pale like he’s cooling off. He’s shown a lot of stress colors today too.
46EEA039-24FD-4D4A-924D-B32970F721F8.jpeg

I haven’t used it, I bought it to be part of his schedule for the 1st and 15th of each month. I can get a different brand if it’s no good?
Reptivite is very good as it does contain preformed vitamin A, which we know is able to be utilized by chameleons. I believe the proformed vitamin A is still questionable if chams can fully utilize it. We do need to be careful with the preformed thought as being fat soluble, it stays in the body longer and can build up to dangerous levels.

Reptivite is very good as it does contain preformed vitamin A, which we know is able to be utilized by chameleons. I believe the proformed vitamin A is still questionable if chams can fully utilize it. We do need to be careful with the preformed thought as being fat soluble, it stays in the body longer and can build up to dangerous levels.
Sorry …I didn’t mean to mislead you into thinking it was no good.
So just like D3, they need it but can be dangerous, got it! (A little different but just for understandings sake)

No worries! There's just so much information out there I want to be as informed as possible.

There's just so much information out there I want to be as informed as possible.
I’m too tired to look, but have we directed you to Chameleon Academy yet? https://chameleonacademy.com/ You’ll find it’s the most current and correct information on chameleons, plus so much more. The podcasts are great and so very much learning to be had. There are also YouTube videos. It’s an amazing resource to learn all of the ’why’ we do things these ways.

I’m too tired to look, but have we directed you to Chameleon Academy yet? https://chameleonacademy.com/ You’ll find it’s the most current and correct information on chameleons, plus so much more. The podcasts are great and so very much learning to be had. There are also YouTube videos. It’s an amazing resource to learn all of the ’why’ we do things these ways.
Yes! I'm actually listening to the behavior podcast right now. There's just so much content!

So I really think this boy was given way too much D3 being as how that was the only supplement used at the pet store. Eye issues do not only mean vitamin A. A lot of people go there but it is not always the case. Something as simple as he has something in his eye or something more extreme like infection can be the situation.

Now you can safely give vitamin A. Buy reptivite WITHOUT D3. Again I would not give him anything with D3 until the 15th so his body can try to clear any build up. The reptivite without D3 has calcium with water soluble vitamins and preformed Vitamin A. Again Preformed A is just like D3 so give this once and then you could give this again on the 15th. Now that he is under correct lighting it would not hurt to let him go without D3 until April 1st. D3 toxicity takes time to work its way out of the tissues. This can take up to 6 weeks from what I have read.

Now... Talk to me about how you are actually checking your basking temp and what is the exact type of bulb? Is he gaping only while basking?

Talk to me about your misting sessions? When are they? Are lights on and is he up and moving when you mist? How long is the misting session? Are you hand misting or automisting?

So I really think this boy was given way too much D3 being as how that was the only supplement used at the pet store. Eye issues do not only mean vitamin A. A lot of people go there but it is not always the case. Something as simple as he has something in his eye or something more extreme like infection can be the situation.
I did see him rubbing his eye this morning too, could this be further evidence of something?
Now you can safely give vitamin A. Buy reptivite WITHOUT D3. Again I would not give him anything with D3 until the 15th so his body can try to clear any build up. The reptivite without D3 has calcium with water soluble vitamins and preformed Vitamin A. Again Preformed A is just like D3 so give this once and then you could give this again on the 15th. Now that he is under correct lighting it would not hurt to let him go without D3 until April 1st. D3 toxicity takes time to work its way out of the tissues. This can take up to 6 weeks from what I have read.
I will get that ASAP!
Now... Talk to me about how you are actually checking your basking temp and what is the exact type of bulb? Is he gaping only while basking?

Talk to me about your misting sessions? When are they? Are lights on and is he up and moving when you mist? How long is the misting session? Are you hand misting or automisting?
I am checking the temp with a digital thermometer which I know is not ideal and it seems people prefer a temp gun, which I do have on the way now. Bulb is a 75w Arcadia halogen heat lamp (not DHP). He has not been in the hottest part of his enclosure though. And bad news is he started lifting his head today :(
IMG_2702.JPG

Misting is done with lights off, hand misting, approximately 1 minute in duration, twice daily, he does not move when I mist except to wince a little if I get too close. I never let the mist hit him. He does not drink the mist off the leaves.

I did see him rubbing his eye this morning too, could this be further evidence of something?

I will get that ASAP!

I am checking the temp with a digital thermometer which I know is not ideal and it seems people prefer a temp gun, which I do have on the way now. Bulb is a 75w Arcadia halogen heat lamp (not DHP). He has not been in the hottest part of his enclosure though. And bad news is he started lifting his head today :(
View attachment 335350
Misting is done with lights off, hand misting, approximately 1 minute in duration, twice daily, he does not move when I mist except to wince a little if I get too close. I never let the mist hit him. He does not drink the mist off the leaves.
Ok so get a gauge with a probe To hook in on the branch below basking. You have a lot of light on your cage this in itself will produce higher heats the closer to the lights he is. You may notice due to all the lights he does not even go back to the basking area. I do not really like the temp gun. They measure more of the surface area rather than a real temp.
Lift the basking fixture higher away from the screen. Its sitting close for what your using. Remember they rise up higher... So it is hotter the higher their bodies go.

So next big purchase should be a mistking... I prefer to do a morning and evening misting 15 minutes after lights kick on and then in the evening I have my basking fixture kick off to reduce temps and do another misting. This allows for time to clean their eyes but also to drink.

Rubbing eyes can be that he is trying to clear something.

Does your cage have any venting lower down or is the top the only screen portion?

Hi Doolin! I am so glad you got him to a vet when you did. Please be careful not to drench him while he is sick. Only the enclosure. I see that he is molting. Rubbing eyes is very common when molting. To loosen the shed then to get it off once its lossened so it doesnt impeed seeing. I like to give a few quick blows to the eye to help it along. Like when you have an eyelash in your eye and a person will blow into it with quick short hard burst to get rid of the lash. Same thing. Once a cham is the size of yours ghey dont molt all at once but in varied sections. Also, the vet can give a vit A shot if its needed. Best advice is to keep a diary of everything you see and notice and go over it with the vet on next visit. Something that you think is of No consequence, the vet me pick up on something that needs to be addressed. Also, it’s good to keep a calendar on the wall near the cage And start keeping track of when molting starts and where and stops, vet visits, meds and reactions, etc. also once you know how to care for him you should type up a care sheet in case you get laid up and someone needs to step in and take over care. Make sure to have vet info and where to buy feeders. Hopefully you wont need it but better to be safe than sorry. Male vields are tough so i think Doug will pull out of this fine. Sending prayers your way!

Hi Doolin! I am so glad you got him to a vet when you did. Please be careful not to drench him while he is sick. Only the enclosure. I see that he is molting. Rubbing eyes is very common when molting. To loosen the shed then to get it off once its lossened so it doesnt impeed seeing. I like to give a few quick blows to the eye to help it along. Like when you have an eyelash in your eye and a person will blow into it with quick short hard burst to get rid of the lash. Same thing. Once a cham is the size of yours ghey dont molt all at once but in varied sections. Also, the vet can give a vit A shot if its needed. Best advice is to keep a diary of everything you see and notice and go over it with the vet on next visit. Something that you think is of No consequence, the vet me pick up on something that needs to be addressed. Also, it’s good to keep a calendar on the wall near the cage And start keeping track of when molting starts and where and stops, vet visits, meds and reactions, etc. also once you know how to care for him you should type up a care sheet in case you get laid up and someone needs to step in and take over care. Make sure to have vet info and where to buy feeders. Hopefully you wont need it but better to be safe than sorry. Male vields are tough so i think Doug will pull out of this fine. Sending prayers your way!
Great ideas, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom