New Chameleon Owner Needs Help

Alina&Gizzard

Hi I'm Alina, and I just got a baby veiled a couple weeks ago. I've found a lot of useful information on this website and I'm trying my best to take care of him, but I have a lot of concerns so if anyone could help me out that'd be great.

My chameleon's name is Gizzard. I'm not sure how old he is, but from his nose to the base of his tail, he's only a little more than an inch long. I hear he should be eating at least two crickets a day, but he only seems to eat one every other day, and I'm really worried.

Also, Gizzard always climbs to the top of his habitat, and often tries to push open the top it looks like, but when he's doing this, he often falls the the bottom of his habitat. He's done it many times and I'm trying to find ways to cushion his fall, since he won't stop doing it. I thought maybe he just wanted the light closer, but that didn't seems to help. I just don't want him to get hurt, though he seems completely fine after every fall. Is this normal behavior for chameleons?

Lastly, and I feel absolutely awful about this, but I squished his tail a bit. I put him in a separate container for feeding, and I was tapping a tube from the cricket pen on the container, and accidentally squished his tail. He himself seems fine, but the tip of his tail is black and doesn't curl right. I'm worried that it could affect his overall health. I feel so bad about hurting him.

Those are my concerns for now. I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow to see if they have anything to say too. I did lots of research so I can take good care of Gizzard, but I just worry I'm doing so much wrong. I really want to do this right so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks you so much!

Welcome to the forum and the world if chameleons!

You said.."My chameleon's name is Gizzard. I'm not sure how old he is, but from his nose to the base of his tail, he's only a little more than an inch long. I hear he should be eating at least two crickets a day, but he only seems to eat one every other day, and I'm really worried" ...at that age he should be eating a lot more....at least 15 appropriately sized crickets. Whoever sole him to you shouldn't be selling chameleons that are that young. There is a normal mortality rate...a certain percent of hatchlings just don't make it....but you have it now so we can only try to make sure it has the best chance.

You said.."Also, Gizzard always climbs to the top of his habitat, and often tries to push open the top it looks like, but when he's doing this, he often falls the the bottom of his habitat. He's done it many times and I'm trying to find ways to cushion his fall, since he won't stop doing it. I thought maybe he just wanted the light closer, but that didn't seems to help. I just don't want him to get hurt, though he seems completely fine after every fall. Is this normal behavior for chameleons?"....it is a normal behaviour but it would be better if it wasn't falling. How big is the cage?

You said..."Lastly, and I feel absolutely awful about this, but I squished his tail a bit. I put him in a separate container for feeding, and I was tapping a tube from the cricket pen on the container, and accidentally squished his tail. He himself seems fine, but the tip of his tail is black and doesn't curl right. I'm worried that it could affect his overall health. I feel so bad about hurting him"...hope it will be OK. Just keep an eye on it.

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum we can check to see if there are any problems with your husbandry. Also post a photo.

Back
Top Bottom