New chameleon owner. need help!

emma_5774

I got my chameleon right after christmas. He is a panther and they gave him to me at 2.5 months old. From the start I knew something wasn't right. After a week of having him he fell from the top of his cage and smashed his face. We took him to the vet and they said there isnt much they can do because he is too small. He also wasnt eating so the vet gave me a formula to feed him. Less than a week later I noticed his face was getting a lot worse and he was becoming lethargic. We took him back to the vet and they said it was possible he broke his jaw or he has an infection. We chose to take the antibiotics and hes been on them for 6 days. The past couple days ive noticed that when I give him his meds and formula bubbles come out of his nose and mouth. Ive also started hearing crackling sounds when he takes deep breaths. Could he have an infection thats getting worse? Am I giving him too much water? Is something else wrong? Does he need to go back to the vet? Someone please help Ive had him for only a few weeks but i love him dearly and im only 15.

They make popping noises when they have a respiratory infection. If its not too bad yet just increase his temps a bit and it will usually clear up within a few weeks. If not then you may need a vet visit

I got my chameleon right after christmas. He is a panther and they gave him to me at 2.5 months old. From the start I knew something wasn't right. After a week of having him he fell from the top of his cage and smashed his face. We took him to the vet and they said there isnt much they can do because he is too small. He also wasnt eating so the vet gave me a formula to feed him. Less than a week later I noticed his face was getting a lot worse and he was becoming lethargic. We took him back to the vet and they said it was possible he broke his jaw or he has an infection. We chose to take the antibiotics and hes been on them for 6 days. The past couple days ive noticed that when I give him his meds and formula bubbles come out of his nose and mouth. Ive also started hearing crackling sounds when he takes deep breaths. Could he have an infection thats getting worse? Am I giving him too much water? Is something else wrong? Does he need to go back to the vet? Someone please help Ive had him for only a few weeks but i love him dearly and im only 15.
When they’re this small it’s so hard. I have rarely ever seen force feeding/watering work. It’s a super last resort. If your chameleon injured his face significantly, and is being force feed food and water, it is likely causing more problems. The bubbling and wheezing is just as likely a result of trying to force feed and water such a small animal—no less one with a face injury. I’m not trying to be a downer, but youre in a tough situation. Was the vet an exotics vet with chameleon experience? If so, then please defer to his/her advice. But consider what it would be like if you broke your nose/jaw, and then was force feed water and food by a backhoe. What didn’t go down the wrong pipe is likely clogging up your nose/mouth. I just really think a second vet visit, and if necessary a new vet, is your only option here.

I agree with @Kaizen 100%. The bubbling, etc is likely because whatever you're force feeding it is getting into its lungs. Are you squirting the stuff in or easing it in a tiny tiny bit at a time?

Please post some photos of the chameleon. I want to see all of it and some photos of its face.

When they’re this small it’s so hard. I have rarely ever seen force feeding/watering work. It’s a super last resort. If your chameleon injured his face significantly, and is being force feed food and water, it is likely causing more problems. The bubbling and wheezing is just as likely a result of trying to force feed and water such a small animal—no less one with a face injury. I’m not trying to be a downer, but youre in a tough situation. Was the vet an exotics vet with chameleon experience? If so, then please defer to his/her advice. But consider what it would be like if you broke your nose/jaw, and then was force feed water and food by a backhoe. What didn’t go down the wrong pipe is likely clogging up your nose/mouth. I just really think a second vet visit, and if necessary a new vet, is your only option here.
i havent been force feeding since his first vet visit. i put a drop of his formula/meds/water on his lip and then he will swallow it after a while. sometimes its harder to get him to drink. Last night was one of the hardest nights to feed him. I called the vet and they said i was giving him too much water and i need to give him less. thank you for your advice

I agree with @Kaizen 100%. The bubbling, etc is likely because whatever you're force feeding it is getting into its lungs. Are you squirting the stuff in or easing it in a tiny tiny bit at a time?

Please post some photos of the chameleon. I want to see all of it and some photos of its face.
I put a drop on his mouth and wait for him to lick it off. with his food and meds i do keep dropping it until hes gotten the correct amount. with water i give it to him until he turns his head away.
145EBCDF-C17B-4AF5-92F5-225F2A49D42C.jpeg
1DE61855-0BFD-4E5F-9C3A-CA196EDDEDBE.jpeg
78F2B34E-685D-4C8D-A5AB-82F1BF0C0FD6.jpeg

Attachments

• 51C520B6-A098-4F7E-9697-7DE2515694A4.jpeg
    51C520B6-A098-4F7E-9697-7DE2515694A4.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 68
They make popping noises when they have a respiratory infection. If its not too bad yet just increase his temps a bit and it will usually clear up within a few weeks. If not then you may need a vet visit
We took him to the vet and they gave us antibiotics for him and hes been on them for 7 days. I noticed the popping noise 2 days ago.

My little panther got a respiratory infection from his stress from travel when he was months and came to us. The antibiotics he was on were injections in his leg and it took a LONG time to bounce back from the meds, but he is doing well now at 9 months. When trying to provide him with water, be VERY CAREFUL. When my guy got Sub-cutanious fluids at that age, I asked how much they gave him and they said something in the vicinity of 2-3 drops and that was supposed to bring him out of a hydration slump after the meds made him feel sick. It is such a small amount when they are tiny.

Back
Top Bottom