New Chameleon owner. Looking for tips/advice.

Joshie

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Senegal chameleon or Chamaeleo senegalensis. Age unknown (WC). I’ve owned him about three days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Very little. Maybe twice since I’ve brought him home?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
I’m having trouble getting him to eat, but I’ve read that’s normal for some new chams. He’s had one cricket today and I was told he stopped eating a week before I got him. I try to offer him crickets three- four times a day. Yes I gut load all my feeders with various greens and other veggies.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
None at the moment. I saw white crystals on his nostrils and read that can mean he has had too many supplements in his diet.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
This is a tough one. At the moment I use a simple spray bottle like what you’d find at a hair salon or barber shop for hair. I have the nozzle set at the finest setting. I mist until the bottle is empty (about ten minutes?) 3 times a day. He also has a small dripper. Yes I see him drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
At first his urates were yellowish/orange but are starting to turn a more white color. No testing for parasites but I’m planning on it ASAP.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Received him at the small pet store I work at by a lady who got him online. He was dark black and limp, I figured he was dead but he was breathing very lightly. She said I could have him and after finding out she kept him in a kritterkeeper with no heat I agreed to give it a shot. He’s made tremendous improvements over the past three days.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
40 gallon breeder tank with about an inch of coco fiber in the bottom. I do not own a mesh cage but have purchased one and I’m waiting for it to ship.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Waiting for a light fixture to ship for a uvb reptisun tube bulb I have. I also have a heat lamp for basking. About 12 hours of light for basking per day.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
75-90f basking is ~90f. lowest overnight is 72f. IR temp gun.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
60%-80% throughout the day. (80% after a heavy misting.) I mist heavily 3 times a day. Hydrometer (I think that’s what it’s called?)
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Yes. Golden pothos and a bit of “monkey grass”. (I’ll look up the scientific name of monkey grass in a bit.)
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
In my bedroom on the second floor of my house.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Southern USA (Arkansas.)

Current Problem -

I’m just looking for tips and advice for my little dude. He’s been through a lot. I got him from a lady at the pet store I work at, I honestly figured he was dead when I first saw him. He wasn’t getting any heat from the moment she got him in the mail (about a month ago) and I took him in thinking I could at least try to make him as comfy as possible. He quickly showed signs of improvement but still has me a bit cautious. He’s fairly active but only has eaten once (today) since I’ve recieved him. He seems very curious and receptive but what do I know I’m only a dumb human lol. I’ll post pics of him and his enclosure in a bit.

I know nothing about that species of cham so I am of no help there, however I do know a thing or two about how to punch a person in the face if you could give us the info of the lady who mistreated your cham

In her defense she had never owned a reptile before and she told me she saw a video of a panther chameleon and the owner of that chameleon said they’re “easy to keep” I think he meant they’re one of the less difficult chameleon species to keep from what little I know, just a guess. But still she did absolutely no research and knew nothing about reptiles to begin with. I’m glad she sought out help for him though! I see this kind of stuff all the time unfortunately. People usually buy their kids/grandkids animals and the child usually shows no interest after a month at most. Happens with fish almost everyday at the pet store I work at. We can usually talk them out of it and tell them gently to do more research before you buy.

Yes, that’ll help a ton! I saw a different care sheet for this species but I can’t find the link anywhere. It was linked on a thread somewhere on this forum I believe. I’ll see if I can find it. Thanks!

Thanks- just got home from work a few minutes ago. I’ll take some pictures in just a second.
46B8D71B-F5CE-4F22-A3D0-8EC12DA12E12.jpeg
4B0BC25A-2B06-49D1-880B-D1DE7A6AC07D.jpeg
205FFA4C-695D-4E7F-A2CC-1CAF73D19D4F.jpeg

Thanks! I’m a tad bit worried about a white patch on his rear. You can see it in the pictures. Does this have to do with him basking?

Can you show me a picture of it

EAABCC83-F9E8-4197-B47A-A6C29CEEDD4C.jpeg

I’m assuming this has to do with basking or getting ready to shed? Another guess I had was it might be parasites under his skin? I dunno.

Edit: my final guess would be a thermal burn. Didn’t even think of that.

Last edited:
Chams live in forest canopy, lots of vines & plants to climb on, dripping water, a 24 x 24x 48 viv with a linear 2 foot uv light is a must

I’ll definitely be taking him to a vet ASAP. Thanks for the link Beman, I’m not sure either but it looks a lot like CANV to me. Thanks for the tips salty dog, I’m waiting on a mesh cage and light to ship like beman said. The cage is a bit smaller than those dimensions but I’ll be sure to get a bigger one after the vet visit.

Back
Top Bottom