New Chameleon Owner- Lighting Question

Rolander

Hi I am new to the Forum and soon to be a new chameleon owner. Have enjoyed reading and learning from the post on here. I will be getting my 3-4 month old Nosy-Faly panther chameleon in a couple weeks and am working on getting his cage all set up so that he has an awesome home. My cage setup will be a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze 24 x 24 x 48 inch Terrarium. I have the MistKing Starter misting system.

For UVB light I have purchased the 24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 high output hood and was thinking of running the 22" Arcadia T5 6% bulb. I am not sure if I will set this on the top of the cage or suspend it 4- 6 inches above the cage? any suggestions.

For the basking area I was thinking of starting out with an incandescent 60-75 watt light suspended a couple inches above the cage. Any suggestions on a good basking dome fixture? Or a duel fixture for both heat lamp and plant light? I will be putting multiple live plants in the cage so any recommendations on what plant light to use would also be helpful.

Appreciate any help with this

For UVB light I have purchased the 24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 high output hood and was thinking of running the 22" Arcadia T5 6% bulb. I am not sure if I will set this on the top of the cage or suspend it 4- 6 inches above the cage? any suggestions.
That depends on the distance between the UVB and basking site. I don't have the table memorized (like many do) or on-hand, but that distance will be the determining factor. If the basking site is high up, suspending it above the cage might be appropriate. If the basking site is lower, then on top of the cage.

For the basking area I was thinking of starting out with an incandescent 60-75 watt light suspended a couple inches above the cage. Any suggestions on a good basking dome fixture?
I suggest something that is aim-able rather than fixed. Once you have your UVB established at the correct height for basking, you can aim the basking light at an angle to shine on the same area. This can produce an elliptical basking area with a gradient, so your cham can bask where he likes. ;)
Personally, I like placing both lights (UVB & basking) at angles to provide gradients of both.

Which plant light depends partly on the plants you choose. In general, a 6500K full-spectrum might do, but if you have plants that require more than that, or are lower down, you may need to add additional plant lighting.

Hi I am new to the Forum and soon to be a new chameleon owner. Have enjoyed reading and learning from the post on here. I will be getting my 3-4 month old Nosy-Faly panther chameleon in a couple weeks and am working on getting his cage all set up so that he has an awesome home. My cage setup will be a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze 24 x 24 x 48 inch Terrarium. I have the MistKing Starter misting system.

For the basking area I was thinking of starting out with an incandescent 60-75 watt light suspended a couple inches above the cage. Any suggestions on a good basking dome fixture? Or a duel fixture for both heat lamp and plant light? I will be putting multiple live plants in the cage so any recommendations on what plant light to use would also be helpful.

Appreciate any help with this
So if you suspend it then you have a lower risk of baby screen climbing the top panel and being overexposed.
This would be a suspended distance of 4 inches from the bulbs to the top of the cage then you would have basking 5 inches below the cage top. So a total of 9 inches with a single bulb T5 fixture and a 6% bulb.

If you choose not to suspend it then you want a 9 inch drop to basking with the fixture sitting directly on top of the cage.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

I use 6500K T5HO daylight bulbs for my plants.
Temps for baby would be about 82 max at that age at basking. 75 watt suspended above should be good.

That depends on the distance between the UVB and basking site. I don't have the table memorized (like many do) or on-hand, but that distance will be the determining factor. If the basking site is high up, suspending it above the cage might be appropriate. If the basking site is lower, then on top of the cage.

I suggest something that is aim-able rather than fixed. Once you have your UVB established at the correct height for basking, you can aim the basking light at an angle to shine on the same area. This can produce an elliptical basking area with a gradient, so your cham can bask where he likes. ;)
Personally, I like placing both lights (UVB & basking) at angles to provide gradients of both.

Which plant light depends partly on the plants you choose. In general, a 6500K full-spectrum might do, but if you have plants that require more than that, or are lower down, you may need to add additional plant lighting.

Thanks for the info! I will set my lights up to produce a gradient in the basking area. I ended up purchasing the Exo Terra lamp holder to mount my dome heating light off the top of the cage.

I already own a Vipar Spectra 300W LED grow light that I used for indoor gardening. I was thinking about using this for plant light, however it does put off some pink/ multicolored light. It is a great grow light but do you think this could negatively effect my chameleon?

Attachments

• Grow light.jpg
    Grow light.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 84
So if you suspend it then you have a lower risk of baby screen climbing the top panel and being overexposed.
This would be a suspended distance of 4 inches from the bulbs to the top of the cage then you would have basking 5 inches below the cage top. So a total of 9 inches with a single bulb T5 fixture and a 6% bulb.

If you choose not to suspend it then you want a 9 inch drop to basking with the fixture sitting directly on top of the cage.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

I use 6500K T5HO daylight bulbs for my plants.
Temps for baby would be about 82 max at that age at basking. 75 watt suspended above should be good.

Thanks for the Info, appreciate it! I purchased the Exo Terra lamp holder to mount my dome heating light off the top of the cage. I also plan on elevating my UVB light off the cage 4-6 inches and will make sure I suspend it so that I get the 9 inch drop to the top of his back in basking spot.

I already own a Vipar Spectra 300W LED grow light that I used for indoor gardening. I was thinking about using this for plant light, however it does put off some pink/ multicolored light. It is a great grow light but do you think this could negatively effect my chameleon?

Or would I be better off getting another T5HO fixture and using a 6500K daylight bulb? My T5HO fixture for UVB is only a single light fixture

Attachments

• Grow light.jpg
    Grow light.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the Info, appreciate it! I purchased the Exo Terra lamp holder to mount my dome heating light off the top of the cage. I also plan on elevating my UVB light off the cage 4-6 inches and will make sure I suspend it so that I get the 9 inch drop to the top of his back in basking spot.

Or would I be better off getting another T5HO fixture and using a 6500K daylight bulb? My T5HO fixture for UVB is only a single light fixture
To my knowledge these LED's are not used because of the colors. White LED's are used though. But this is not my area because I do not run LED fixtures. I run the 6400 or 6500 daylight bulbs. I run two currently for additional light so a total of three T5 fixtures. 1 for UVB and the others for the daylight bulbs. I like it because I have larger cages and I am able to cover more area spending less money. I have been happy with the vivarium electronics single bulb fixtures and those come with the 6400 daylight bulbs. Like $35 for each fixture depending on the size. I order mine through pangea reptile.

Thanks for the info! I will set my lights up to produce a gradient in the basking area. I ended up purchasing the Exo Terra lamp holder to mount my dome heating light off the top of the cage.

That seems like a lot of wattage for an LED, and AFAIK, 6500K full spectrum (20W each?) are preferred for reptile enclosures. IDK if it could negatively affect your cham.

To my knowledge these LED's are not used because of the colors. White LED's are used though. But this is not my area because I do not run LED fixtures. I run the 6400 or 6500 daylight bulbs. I run two currently for additional light so a total of three T5 fixtures. 1 for UVB and the others for the daylight bulbs. I like it because I have larger cages and I am able to cover more area spending less money. I have been happy with the vivarium electronics single bulb fixtures and those come with the 6400 daylight bulbs. Like $35 for each fixture depending on the size. I order mine through pangea reptile.

I kinda figured that because I haven't seen anyone recommend LED lights such as the one I have in any post. I will go with the safe option and get another T5 fixture such as the vivarium electronics with a daylight bulb. Thanks again!

That seems like a lot of wattage for an LED, and AFAIK, 6500K full spectrum (20W each?) are preferred for reptile enclosures. IDK if it could negatively affect your cham.

Thats true, seems like my LED grow light would be way overkill. I will get another T5 fixure and get a 6500.

Thats good info. The SANSI 24W LED grow lights sound like a good option.
I have a Sansi 15w which was good for more forgiving plants like Pothos. I currently use the Sansi 70w that were talked about in the thread link you were given and I’m quite happy with it. I’m currently seeing if it gives enough light to keep hibiscus happy, but everything else is growing great.

I have a Sansi 15w which was good for more forgiving plants like Pothos. I currently use the Sansi 70w that were talked about in the thread link you were given and I’m quite happy with it. I’m currently seeing if it gives enough light to keep hibiscus happy, but everything else is growing great.

Sounds like a good light. I might get the 70w Sansi. Saw it got good reviews on Amazon. Thanks

Just bought the 70w looking forward to getting it set up.

Back
Top Bottom