New chameleon owner advice?

enhiii

Hello, just got my Panther Chameleon "Shade" less than a week ago. He is 4.5 months old and eats about 6-8 crickets in his 10 minute period in the am. He drinks water fine. Ambient its around 74 degrees. He is busy exploring his new surroundings its a screen enclosure, I have an umbrella plant. Only trouble is when I want to pick him up to clean. He puffs his throat and becomes very defensive, has tried to hiss. He will turn and lunge to a branch or the screen. Obviously doesn't want to be picked up. I've asked the breeders what they thought, and they said it will take time. I'd like to pick him up by going underneath him, but usually he doesn't give me that opportunity. I'm thinking of attempting trying hand feeding to get him more used to my hands. Just want any advice on how I can better take care of him, especially the handling part. I must admit when he jumps around I'm a little timid. He probably sees my fear, but even if my hand is steady he doesn't want to go on it. Any advice helps. Thanks, Learning everyday :)

I've only had mine for 2 days, but did months of research before getting him. I would definitely take a look at the care sheets on here. I hope you mean his ambient temperature is around 74? Basking will need to be 80-85 degrees.

Leave him be for a while. He needs to adjust and settle into his new home. Feed, mist etc but don't try to handle him for a couple of weeks. Then you can try the hand feeding so your hands aren't scary. He may never come round or hand feed, time and patience.
Read the care sheets, lots of good info there. Aswell as jannbs blogs, sandrachameleons blogs and psychobunny has good info on 'taming'.
Kath.

You're right I meant ambient. When I take the basking temp, I need to hold my thermometer closest to the heating light right? I have a 60 watt Daylight blue lamp.

Thanks, that seems to be the route some others are giving me... I will check out the additional info :)

Baby Jackson's Chameleons

Hi jackson community, I'm new here and I have some questions, Im from Hawaii and I really really want a Jackson chameleon, the only thing is I want it as a baby so it can get use to me and my daughter. What should I do? I googled some stuff about caring baby Jackson's I even emailed some Jackson owners and asked them for some tips but I'm still worried for my little guy or girl can u guys please please please help me out. I'm most likely getting them 3 next week. How big duz the cage need to be and can i keep them in the same cage?Can I keep them out side once I got them? Or do I really have to keep them inside? I don't have the money to get the UVB lights and such but I have enough for there food and stuff. I would love to have some pointers and tips to care for them thank u and mahalo

Back
Top Bottom