New Chameleon - Our routine / Setup

masters02

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? - Velied Yemen, Female, 4 months old, been in our care for 3 days
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? - Handled once for just a few minutes, she seems happy to be handled but we are letting her adjust to her new home for the time being
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? - She has been feeding on medium size locust dusted with calcium. She tends to eat between 5-7 a day, mostly first thing in the morning. We have some Silkworms and Dubia Roaches coming today for some variety. She has had 2 or 3 wax worms as a treat. We gutload the feeders with our own mix the night before being fed, we blend up - squash, apples, pears, carrot and plan to add orange and some seeds to our mix soon. We also offer the feeders some water gel for extra hydration.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? - We are planning on supplementing D3 (Nutrobal) twice a month and calcium most meals
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? - We thoroughly mist the cage first thing in the morning with a pressurised spray bottle, and again just before we leave the house for work at 8am. She will usually take a little bit of water directly from the pump if i adjust the nozzle and make it into a solid stream. We then mist again when we get in from work 3-5pm. Maybe another light misting at 7pm. She will have a dripper as of tomorrow, and a Mistking will be on its way shortly.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - Ligh/medium brown, soft but solid. His first and only urate so far was white, with orange at one end. So i think his hydration is OK, but the dripper and mistking should help get it 100%. I do not believe she has been checked for parasites.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. - Nothing i am aware of.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? - Reptibreeze, 24" x 24" x 48"
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Basking - 100W exo terra daylight basking bulb. UVB - 15W Reptiglo 10 UVB strip bulb. We previously had a 13W 2.0 coil compact UVB as that was what the store recommended, but we swapped this over for the new 10 UVB strip bulb.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? - 1inch from the basking lamp the temps reach 96-99F, but her highest basking spot is around 84-87F. Bottom of the cage is around 70F, but she usually cools down at the top of the cage opposite where the basking lamp is (under the UVB), which reads 72-75F. Overnight temps are around 68-72F
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? - Unsure of humidity levels, i have one of these being delivered today to check: http://www.tester.co.uk/tsth1-temperature-humidity-meter-with-dew-point. We have a selection of fake, and real plants. Im hoping the real plants are helping keep the humidty levels up. I will be covering 2 sides of the cage with plastic sheet if the humidity is too low.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? - Dont have the names to hand, but they were believed to be safe.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? - Currently located on the floor in the corner of our bedroom. He will be getting raised up by a foot or 2 as we are implementing a new drainage system to avoid any standing water caused by the dripper / Mistking.
Location - Where are you geographically located? - UK

We only found out we have girl yesterday, she was sold to us as a male and so far the heating and setup of the cage has been geared towards a male. I think what we are doing is still OK, but perhaps we should lower the basking temps slightly, but using a 75W bulb, rather than a 100W?

Im aware we will now need to provide an egg bin, but at 4 months does this need to be an immediate concern? From what i have read they do not usually develop eggs until at least 8 months?

With the above in mind, is there anything obvious we are missing with our setup/routine? I have attached some pictures of her and her cage, after some advice on here we have some dowel so we can make a few more walkways at the top of her cage tonight as the top is a little sparse.

We have done a lot of research, but we want to be double sure we are providing the best care possible.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 177.jpg
    177.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 160.jpg
    160.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 205
You have a large enclosure which is great..use it! There is a lot of empty unused space in the top half which can be utilized using live plants and vines. This will also help with humidity and will provide more surfaces for drinking water to stand on.

There is a lot of empty space at the moment, but we couldnt branches that would reach to the top.

We are getting some dowel which we will attach with thumb tacks to create some extra walkways along the top.

Whats the best way to gets live plants that high?

Yeah itr hard to have everything set up perfectly from the start. Best way would be to put the plants standing on an empty plant pot standing face down. You can alro hang them from the top but you need a bar across the top to take the weight as not to tear the mesh

Congratulations on the new chameleon!
Your general feeding plan sounds fine to me. Some people use Nutrobol four times a month, but assuming good gutloading and lighting, I think twice is right.
Watering plan sounds excellent.
Basking temp is higher than I would suggest, so yes a lower wattage would be good.
Overnight time is fine, aim for under 70F

My humidity meter came through yesterday, and just aswell as it is currently reading at 20% RH at the top of the cage.

I have bough a large Ficus (wheeping fig) to go in the enclosure tonight, and im also going to cover the outside of the back cage in plastic sheeting to try and raise the humidity.

Its hard work getting everything exactly right!

Back
Top Bottom