New Chameleon not pooping: is there anything I can do?

Viralvegan

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon – Veiled, male, 4 months, in my care for 5 days
  • Handling – removed him from his cage a few times for set up. Placed on money tree during that time. Hold briefly while feeding.
  • Feeding – feeding in the mornings. 15-20 bugs. Mostly dubia roaches, a few superworms, and a criket or two. Very big appetite! Has taken a few bites out of my umbrella plant
  • Supplements – Calcium w/o D3 every morning with meal. Have not given D3 or multivitamin yet.
  • Watering – dripper filled in the morning and evening. Hand misting 3-4 times a day.
  • Fecal Description – NA
  • History - NA

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Small screen reptibreeze
  • Lighting –UVB 7am-10pm, basking lamp 7:30-10pm
  • Temperature – basking: 92F, bottom: 70F, overnight low: 64F
  • Humidity – 40% humidity by manual misting
  • Plants – one fake, one umbrella plant, one birds nest fern
  • Placement – spare bedroom, near window, above vent, 3ft off the ground
  • Location – Indiana, USA

Current Problem – My new chameleon hasn’t pooped yet! I have only seen him drink a few times and am waiting to see his poop to check his hydration level but he hasn’t pooped yet. He is active and eats very well and doesn’t seem to be showing signs of impaction. Is there anything I can do to help encourage defecation?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon – Veiled, male, 4 months, in my care for 5 days
  • Handling – removed him from his cage a few times for set up. Placed on money tree during that time. Hold briefly while feeding.
  • Feeding – feeding in the mornings. 15-20 bugs. Mostly dubia roaches, a few superworms, and a criket or two. Very big appetite! Has taken a few bites out of my umbrella plant
  • Supplements – Calcium w/o D3 every morning with meal. Have not given D3 or multivitamin yet.
  • Watering – dripper filled in the morning and evening. Hand misting 3-4 times a day.
  • Fecal Description – NA
  • History - NA

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type – Small screen reptibreeze
  • Lighting –UVB 7am-10pm, basking lamp 7:30-10pm
  • Temperature – basking: 92F, bottom: 70F, overnight low: 64F
  • Humidity – 40% humidity by manual misting
  • Plants – one fake, one umbrella plant, one birds nest fern
  • Placement – spare bedroom, near window, above vent, 3ft off the ground
  • Location – Indiana, USA

Current Problem – My new chameleon hasn’t pooped yet! I have only seen him drink a few times and am waiting to see his poop to check his hydration level but he hasn’t pooped yet. He is active and eats very well and doesn’t seem to be showing signs of impaction. Is there anything I can do to help encourage defecation?
Hornworms are great for getting your animal to defecate in my experience. They're large packets of water and they seem to help loosen the bowls. You'll want to try and find one that isn't to big for him though. Rule of thumb is no wider then the width of the chameleons eyes. I'd recommend lowering your lighting to 12 or 13hrs a day only. UVB are you using coil bulbs or linear t5ho bulb? I'd also recommend getting the basking temp down to about 88* juveniles don't need it too warm right away. As they get older the temps can slowly climb.

Not to do with the pooping....but...
I would remove the fake plant since veileds are known to eat vegetation.
I would move the cage away from the vent and the window.

Are you sure the poop isn't hidden somewhere?

Do you have a bare bottom enclosure? Sure its not in the plants? Mine seems to always poop right where the leaf attaches to the main truck of the plant.

Hornworms are great for getting your animal to defecate in my experience. They're large packets of water and they seem to help loosen the bowls. You'll want to try and find one that isn't to big for him though. Rule of thumb is no wider then the width of the chameleons eyes. I'd recommend lowering your lighting to 12 or 13hrs a day only. UVB are you using coil bulbs or linear t5ho bulb? I'd also recommend getting the basking temp down to about 88* juveniles don't need it too warm right away. As they get older the temps can slowly climb.

I have a linear UVB bulb.
I will decrease the basking temp and light cycle as well. thanks!

He’ll poop when he’s ready.

On a side note, chameleons need their sleep. The lighting schedule you listed is 15 hours on - 9 off, it should be 12 on - 12 off.

If Your lights are on at 7 AM, they should be off by 7 PM and it should be as dark as possible during the night cycle.

Check the leaves of the plants and soil for faeces before you panic. Sometimes they poop and it falls somewhere other than the cage floor.

Could just be a shy pooper... kidding... My cham has gone 2 weeks before he pooped, so I wouldn't worry quite yet. Congrats on the new cham :)

Here's my little guy, Avocado!

Attachments

• IMG_2499.JPG
    IMG_2499.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 111
Back
Top Bottom