New chameleon not eating much

TRMHAAS

I just bought my first male juvenile veiled chameleon two days ago and he seems to be eating less than most people say their juvenile veileds eat.

I have been feeding him mealworms for the time being until my order of dubai roaches arrives. Hes been eating ~6 a day. Is this a normal stress thing that he will grow out if or do you think he just doesn’t like them and I should try another type of bug?

I just bought my first male juvenile veiled chameleon two days ago and he seems to be eating less than most people say their juvenile veileds eat.

I have been feeding him mealworms for the time being until my order of dubai roaches arrives. Hes been eating ~6 a day. Is this a normal stress thing that he will grow out if or do you think he just doesn’t like them and I should try another type of bug?
I would just think that it’s stress induced. Although I’m not sure. My little guy didn’t eat until the third day!

I would just think that it’s stress induced. Although I’m not sure. My little guy didn’t eat until the third day!
Thats a relief. One more question while i’m here. Since we got him hes been gray. The only time I have seen him as green as when we got him has been when he goes to sleep at night. Could this also be something that will pass as the stress reduces? Maybe i’m just being paranoid, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Attachments

• DA1C9688-F5D8-45FD-9E42-EE42BB323D98.jpeg
    DA1C9688-F5D8-45FD-9E42-EE42BB323D98.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 121
Thats a relief. One more question while i’m here. Since we got him hes been gray. The only time I have seen him as green as when we got him has been when he goes to sleep at night. Could this also be something that will pass as the stress reduces? Maybe i’m just being paranoid, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Not really sure about that. Maybe @kinyonga or @Beman can help

Looks more like he is trying to warm up... Could you post pics of your entire enclosure lights down for me please?
He sits on the hammock in the top left under the light quite a lot. The temperatures where he sits is around 90 degrees, which I thought would be too hot for a juvenile.

Attachments

• 0FC006FD-E428-4F2B-941E-A7ED7ED3B042.jpeg
    0FC006FD-E428-4F2B-941E-A7ED7ED3B042.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 35106127-F791-4192-A3F1-7893E4ED0EFF.jpeg
    35106127-F791-4192-A3F1-7893E4ED0EFF.jpeg
    222.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 4DD84E0C-C852-4EA9-9028-38B6FECB82CB.jpeg
    4DD84E0C-C852-4EA9-9028-38B6FECB82CB.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 56
He sits on the hammock in the top left under the light quite a lot. The temperatures where he sits is around 90 degrees, which I thought would be too hot for a juvenile.

Hi!

I kinda suck at this quote/reply thing lol

Here's my input and hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in/correct me

I have no idea how old your lil boy is but he sure looks wee <3
My boy was so much bigger than the pic of your boy when I brought him home.. and he ate around 9 small crickets 10 small mealworms (not at the same time .. varying days)

Since your Chameleon is so wee, I am going to defer to others here as to what his basking temps can/should be.

I can tell you however that my Chameleon always turns a very dark grey color when basking, especially after a big a meal! when he moves away from his basking bulb or climbs around his enclosure he looks colourful and more vibrant, my Vet told me some Chameleons appear dark to absorb more heat while basking which in turn helps their digestion :)

There are much better feeders than mealworms that you can buy at pet stores than mealworms. Bsfl aka Phoenix worms, calci worms are great and small enough for a little one. Small crickets too. Mealworms are poor sources of nutrition and their chitin is hard for chams to digest.
6470632C-8628-4C81-B070-64AD69BC52E6.jpeg

There are much better feeders than mealworms that you can buy at pet stores than mealworms. Bsfl aka Phoenix worms, calci worms are great and small enough for a little one. Small crickets too. Mealworms are poor sources of nutrition and their chitin is hard for chams to digest.
View attachment 267554

Not sure where the OP lives... but where I live Silkworms are done... no availability for at least 3-4 months. Black soldier is scarce.
Unpopular opinion... My Cham existed on small meal worms for several months and had zero digestive issues (I also gave him fruit and greens which I know is also not popular)

Attached is a pic of my boy with controversial watermelon action shot... not flattering ? (once a month treat)

Attachments

• 7471226C-9A3A-4CC6-81CA-BBE6813CF03E.png
    7471226C-9A3A-4CC6-81CA-BBE6813CF03E.png
    978.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
If your temp is in fact 90 then that is too hot for baby. Needs to be more like 85. How exactly are you measuring your temp? digital thermometers with probes at the basking level are the best way to get an accurate reading.

I would remove the hammock... these are for bearded dragons. Chameleons can get their nails caught in the hammocks. sticks are your best bet for them.
Your cage should go up on a table not on the floor. Being on the floor will cause stress. They are canopy dwelling animals so they like to be above everything.

If you would like a complete husbandry review to make sure you received the correct information please fill out the form below. :)

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom