New Chameleon Mamma - Advice much Appreciated!

Hello!
OP
I am a new owner of a 3 month old male veiled chameleon.

His name is Winston Churchill and he is my favorite!

I want to raise a healthy, happy, and sociable chameleon. I'd love to hear tips on best practices, especially how you developed a relationship with your cham. I'd love for Winston to want ro crawl onto my hand from his cage etc.

Thanks so much!

#stressedchameleonmamma

Hello and welcome to the Cham Forums! It would greatly benefit you if you filled this out with as much detail as possible. Pictures of enclosure will help us as well. Welcome to the winning team!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

That looks pretty big for 90 days old...

But anyway, for social, i always had staple feeders, and "treat feeders". Treat feeders only came out if they were brave enough for hand feeding. You want the silk worm, you have to eat from the hand.

Hello!
OP
I am a new owner of a 3 month old male veiled chameleon.

His name is Winston Churchill and he is my favorite!

I want to raise a healthy, happy, and sociable chameleon. I'd love to hear tips on best practices, especially how you developed a relationship with your cham. I'd love for Winston to want ro crawl onto my hand from his cage etc.

Thanks so much!

#stressedchameleonmamma
View attachment 239216

View attachment 239215
I don’t want to be pessimistic, I really hope he is well. A few days ago, I read a tread that a guy was asking questions about lumps similar to the ones in your Cham... He later followed up saying he didn’t make it. Again, I’m not trying to alarm you, or say he is sick.

Yeah, he is still recovering. He tested negative to parasites which is great.

Praying that I can find a vet who can identify what it is!

I don’t want to be pessimistic, I really hope he is well. A few days ago, I read a tread that a guy was asking questions about lumps similar to the ones in your Cham... He later followed up saying he didn’t make it. Again, I’m not trying to alarm you, or say he is sick.

You could have wrote that in a gentler way. I think I was pretty descriptive. Are you the manager of this forum?

We literally have no info about how you keep your chameleon. In both posts you never mention any info about your feeding, supplements, lighting, misting, etc.

I'm not trying to come off abrasive. We ask for the help form to be filled out for a reason. A lot of times more experienced keepers and members spot red flags that could be causing or may eventually cause health issues.

You are writing very aggresively. Please do not post on my threads anymore. I don't appreciate your tone and insensitive langugae. I do appreciate your concern over Winston. So I thank you for that.

We literally have no info about how you keep your chameleon. In both posts you never mention any info about your feeding, supplements, lighting, misting, etc.

I'm not trying to come off abrasive. We ask for the help form to be filled out for a reason. A lot of times more experienced keepers and members spot red flags that could be causing or may eventually cause health issues.

I asked a question. Sure, I could've worded it differently. The photos this member posted in their other thread has me concerned which is why I've been adamant about the OP giving us more info about their care routine.

@Sirwinstonchurchill After looking through the other thread I have to agree. Obvisouly fill that out when you have time, but im concerned about whether youre taking the proper care neccessary to get him back to health. Yes a vet gave you some things to help, but vets dont control husbandry. Please fill out the form, and show us some pictures of the enclosure youre keeping him in. Thank you!

@Sirwinstonchurchill After looking through the other thread I have to agree. Obvisouly fill that out when you have time, but im concerned about whether youre taking the proper care neccessary to get him back to health. Yes a vet gave you some things to help, but vets dont control husbandry. Please fill out the form, and show us some pictures of the enclosure youre keeping him in. Thank you!

I understand. I'll post more details later today!

I was at work today, which is why I wasn't able to reply to the post below. I hope that I have not sounded rude in my replies. I have a lot going on and I love my chameleon baby. I will be heartbroken if I lost him.

I recently lost a fish and he was my favorite. I just can't lose Winston and would love any input, feedback, or identification of his symptoms. It would be so very helpful.

Thank you, kindly.

• Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon. 2 months. Male.
  • Handling - Twice a day. Once for feeding and playtime *which is me putting him on his little jungle tree. The same in the evening. Sometimes he falls asleep on my lap late at night when I am watching tv.
  • Feeding - Right now, I am syringe feeding him because he is not eating on his own. Originally, he was eating 4 - 6 mealworms and 4 - 6 crickets. He does not like greens. I powder calcium on his crickets but have yet to start the gut feeding process.
  • Medication - He is on Emeraid IC Carnivore. Intensive Care Nutrition. He was on Calcium Glubionate for two weeks. He is on Strongid T Dewormer for the parasites for two weeks.

• Supplements - Flukers repaboost.
  • Watering - I mist him twice a day. He has a drip system right now. He is very thirsty recently.
  • Fecal Description - Yes he has been tested positive for parasites. He is being treated.
  • History - He was sick when I adopted him.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - I am building a cage for him. It's six feet tall and two and a half feet wide. Very spacious. Screened. Only natural plants. He has been in a four feet x two feet cage for the two months I have had him.
  • Lighting - 12 hours heat and UVB light. I use the zilla pro sol fixture.
  • Temperature - Lowest overnight is 75. Daytime is 73 ish.
  • Humidity - I use a thermometer. Right now I believe it is at 70%.
  • Plants - Pothos. Bromeliad. Umbrella.
  • Placement -It is near a high traffic area. However, I live alone. He has two and a half feet from the ceiling. He is next to the sunroom but does not have direct light.
  • Location - Atlanta

Back
Top Bottom