New cham!

Anisa.corp

Established Member
I just got my first chameleon yesterday at 8PM the pet shop said he is 2.5 years old he seems very healthy but he has been on the same vine since the moment I got him and hes not exploring is that normal? ( I will be adding more vines I just need to order them) also where does everyone get their bug sticks from can you buy them or did you find them and wash them?

Attachments

• 1596549138772363280973768882265.jpg
    1596549138772363280973768882265.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 114
Welcome To Forums.

Fill out this form So members can chime in and put you in the right path to a healthy and happy chameleon.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I just got my first chameleon yesterday at 8PM the pet shop said he is 2.5 years old he seems very healthy but he has been on the same vine since the moment I got him and hes not exploring is that normal? ( I will be adding more vines I just need to order them) also where does everyone get their bug sticks from can you buy them or did you find them and wash them?
Congrats! Nice looking feller!

Yes, it's normal. It's going to take him a few days to "settle in"; I'd try to leave him to do that as much as you can.

Bug sticks? :unsure: Did you perhaps mean stick insects as feeders?

Ah... just saw the edit. Lots of folks—lots of sources. Many propound foraging outdoors (some recommend sterilizing; some don't).

Personally, I like bamboo, grapevine, cork rounds, and Cholla wood. Sources vary from home improvement stores, to Etsy, eBay, & Amazon, local vinyards/wineries—pretty much like shopping for anything else. ;)

Last edited:
Congrats! Nice looking feller!

Yes, it's normal. It's going to take him a few days to "settle in"; I'd try to leave him to do that as much as you can.

Bug sticks? :unsure: Did you perhaps mean stick insects as feeders?

Ah... just saw the edit. Lots of folks—lots of sources. Many propound foraging outdoors (some recommend sterilizing; some don't).

Personally, I like bamboo, grapevine, cork rounds, and Cholla wood. Sources vary from home improvement stores, to Etsy, eBay, & Amazon, local vinyards/wineries—pretty much like shopping for anything else. ;)
When the man at the pet store was taking him out he just ripped him off his branch I was just wonder could that have like scared him enough to where he will be afraid of handling forever even if I try and work with him? (I'm just scared that's how the people at the shop always used to handle him like that everytime they pulled him out)

When the man at the pet store was taking him out he just ripped him off his branch I was just wonder could that have like scared him enough to where he will be afraid of handling forever even if I try and work with him? (I'm just scared that's how the people at the shop always used to handle him like that everytime they pulled him out)
I hate to tell you but you will more then likely be dealing with some aggressive behavior. That is an older male Veiled. Whey did you choose a 2.5 year old? hopefully his prior care and husbandry was correct so you dont have to deal with health issues.

Let him settle in. This will be a big transition for him.

I get my branches from outside.. My neighbor cut back a tree and that was the last ones I got. I washed off the bird poop with dawn soap mixture then rinsed really well. As long as the trees are not sap producing then your good. No pine, cedar, eucalyptus. etc

I hate to tell you but you will more then likely be dealing with some aggressive behavior. That is an older male Veiled. Whey did you choose a 2.5 year old? hopefully his prior care and husbandry was correct so you dont have to deal with health issues.

Let him settle in. This will be a big transition for him.

I get my branches from outside.. My neighbor cut back a tree and that was the last ones I got. I washed off the bird poop with dawn soap mixture then rinsed really well. As long as the trees are not sap producing then your good. No pine, cedar, eucalyptus. etc
He definitely has not been very friendly but I really wasnt expecting for him to love me or anything like that but I got him because I wanted to "rescue" a chameleon not that he was in a horrible place but I felt like having an adult for my first cham would be a little safer plus it would make his life a little better lol but hes finally exploring a little bit he hid in his pothos plant

He definitely has not been very friendly but I really wasnt expecting for him to love me or anything like that but I got him because I wanted to "rescue" a chameleon not that he was in a horrible place but I felt like having an adult for my first cham would be a little safer plus it would make his life a little better lol but hes finally exploring a little bit he hid in his pothos plant
So he will need time. You know for his age you will only be feeding every other day 3 feeders, right? Otherwise he will gain fat which is not good for their health.

Let us know if you have any questions. If you want to review the husbandry you have in place fill out the form.

I don't think so. Some reptiles have demonstrated long-term memory, but they've also demonstrated the ability to tell us apart.

I'd give him some time to get used to his new digs, explore a bit, and get comfortable before beginning to work with him. Then take things slow until you get a read on him (he'll be watching you for reads as well), and have some kind of treat involved—a bug or piece of fruit/veggie he particularly likes. If he associates you with food and other good experiences, things should go well.

The way to a chameleman's heart is through his stomach. ;) ?

So he will need time. You know for his age you will only be feeding every other day 3 feeders, right? Otherwise he will gain fat which is not good for their health.

Let us know if you have any questions. If you want to review the husbandry you have in place fill out the form.
I know worms are very fatty so do I only feed him worms every other feeding?

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 2.5 year old male veiled chameleon
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have not handled him yet he seems stressed so I will give him atleast a week before I start bothering him
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I got him crickets for now but I plan on buying him dubia roaches, superworms, and hornworms this weekend
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?calcium without d3 every feeding also calcium without d3 once a month and multivitamin once a month
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a monsoon mister I dont really have a set schedule yet I've been looking throught the forum to see what everyone else schedule is first
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I have not seen his poop yet but I have not had him checked
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 reptibreeze
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 60 watt heat bulb and a t5 linear 24" uvb 5%
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking temps are a little bit low around 82 and the bottom of the cage stays around 73
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? If anything the humidity gets a little high sometimes hut usually stays 50% (goes up a tone when I mist him obviously)
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 1 pothos and a money tree I also has a umbrella tree that's needs to get a bit bigger and a polka dot plant but idk how to keep it alive lmao
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is about 1.5 foot from the floor not near any vents (I closed them all anyway) he is in my room the only traffic would be me and my dog loves to bust in my room very loudly
  • Location - Where are you geographically located I live in ohio

Do loud sounds both chams like if I were to put the tv on or something like that (I've been playing him rainforest noises ?)

I know worms are very fatty so do I only feed him worms every other feeding?
it is more about diversity over all with what your giving... Silkworms are very healthy to feed. Horns are not bad either but size does matter with feeders. Supers and wax worms are loaded with fat.

Feeder nutrition chart.jpeg

See my feedback in red bold. :)
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 2.5 year old male veiled chameleon
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have not handled him yet he seems stressed so I will give him atleast a week before I start bothering him.. Good you can try hand feeding... see how he is responding first to just opening the door and giving him his normal feeders though.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I got him crickets for now but I plan on buying him dubia roaches, superworms, and hornworms this weekend..
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?calcium without d3 every feeding also calcium without d3 once a month and multivitamin once a month... Ok so with this you are correct on the calcium without D3. But the others are incorrect. You need to do calcium with D3 two times a month and the multivitamin 2 times a month. THese should be rotated week to week. Make sure your multivitamin does not have D3 in it.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a monsoon mister I dont really have a set schedule yet I've been looking throught the forum to see what everyone else schedule is first. You want to mist in the morning before basking light is on and in the evening after basking light is off.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? I have not seen his poop yet but I have not had him checked

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 reptibreeze
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 60 watt heat bulb and a t5 linear 24" uvb 5%
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking temps are a little bit low around 82 and the bottom of the cage stays around 73... Basking is actually fine. He does not need intense heat. this can shorten their life.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? If anything the humidity gets a little high sometimes hut usually stays 50% (goes up a tone when I mist him obviously) This is within limits. 30-50%max daytime for veileds at night you can have a fogger running from say 12-4am to increase humidity up to 100%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 1 pothos and a money tree I also has a umbrella tree that's needs to get a bit bigger and a polka dot plant but idk how to keep it alive lmao... Great.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is about 1.5 foot from the floor not near any vents (I closed them all anyway) he is in my room the only traffic would be me and my dog loves to bust in my room very loudly... You may have to move the cage higher... The dog will freak him out until he gets used to it. Loud is fine he can not hear it... But if the dog is coming over to the cage and being very active this will effect the cham.

Do loud sounds both chams like if I were to put the tv on or something like that (I've been playing him rainforest noises ?) Nope they can not hear the way we can. Vibrations are more likely to disturb him. ;)

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/ I love this site... It is loaded with any and all info you could pretty much ever need.

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

See my feedback in red bold. :)
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have not handled him yet he seems stressed so I will give him atleast a week before I start bothering him.. Good you can try hand feeding... see how he is responding first to just opening the door and giving him his normal feeders though.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I got him crickets for now but I plan on buying him dubia roaches, superworms, and hornworms this weekend..
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?calcium without d3 every feeding also calcium without d3 once a month and multivitamin once a month... Ok so with this you are correct on the calcium without D3. But the others are incorrect. You need to do calcium with D3 two times a month and the multivitamin 2 times a month. THese should be rotated week to week. Make sure your multivitamin does not have D3 in it.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a monsoon mister I dont really have a set schedule yet I've been looking throught the forum to see what everyone else schedule is first. You want to mist in the morning before basking light is on and in the evening after basking light is off.

Cage Info:

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking temps are a little bit low around 82 and the bottom of the cage stays around 73... Basking is actually fine. He does not need intense heat. this can shorten their life.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? If anything the humidity gets a little high sometimes hut usually stays 50% (goes up a tone when I mist him obviously) This is within limits. 30-50%max daytime for veileds at night you can have a fogger running from say 12-4am to increase humidity up to 100%.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 1 pothos and a money tree I also has a umbrella tree that's needs to get a bit bigger and a polka dot plant but idk how to keep it alive lmao... Great.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is about 1.5 foot from the floor not near any vents (I closed them all anyway) he is in my room the only traffic would be me and my dog loves to bust in my room very loudly... You may have to move the cage higher... The dog will freak him out until he gets used to it. Loud is fine he can not hear it... But if the dog is coming over to the cage and being very active this will effect the cham.

Do loud sounds both chams like if I were to put the tv on or something like that (I've been playing him rainforest noises ?) Nope they can not hear the way we can. Vibrations are more likely to disturb him. ;)

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/ I love this site... It is loaded with any and all info you could pretty much ever need.

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery
My boy just started climbing the screen on his cage I have a feeling it's because his cage at the store was glass and he was never able to do it is there and way to just prevent him from doing this?

Attachments

• Snapchat-2072739459.jpg
    Snapchat-2072739459.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 64
My boy just started climbing the screen on his cage I have a feeling it's because his cage at the store was glass and he was never able to do it is there and way to just prevent him from doing this?
Prayer is about the only thing that will help you with screen climbing :hilarious:

They do this... He will learn that it will not comfortably support his weight. The worry here is if they break a toe nail. He is antsy because it is all new. He can see out the window too. So this gives him the idea that there is somewhere else he can go.

Prayer is about the only thing that will help you with screen climbing :hilarious:

They do this... He will learn that it will not comfortably support his weight. The worry here is if they break a toe nail. He is antsy because it is all new. He can see out the window too. So this gives him the idea that there is somewhere else he can go.
Should I cover the window I just figured he would like to look outside he stands on the back dragon ledge I have when he wants to look out the window but everytime I see him climbing I just go over to his cage and "yell at him" it kind of seems to be working but I just dont want him to fall and hurt himself is there really no way to detour them from screen climbing?

Should I cover the window I just figured he would like to look outside he stands on the back dragon ledge I have when he wants to look out the window but everytime I see him climbing I just go over to his cage and "yell at him" it kind of seems to be working but I just dont want him to fall and hurt himself is there really no way to detour them from screen climbing?
Nope no way. They just do it. My boy stopped screen climbing the last year. I did a total cage change and he is back doing it again at 2 years old. I have a nervous breakdown every time he goes for it.

How are his pathways in the cage? is it pretty planted? Sometimes they will do it out of stress and then sometimes they do it just to do it.
He probably loves looking out the window. You can leave it just make sure there is not direct sun that shines in on the cage or it will increase the temps.

Nope no way. They just do it. My boy stopped screen climbing the last year. I did a total cage change and he is back doing it again at 2 years old. I have a nervous breakdown every time he goes for it.

How are his pathways in the cage? is it pretty planted? Sometimes they will do it out of stress and then sometimes they do it just to do it.
He probably loves looking out the window. You can leave it just make sure there is not direct sun that shines in on the cage or it will increase the temps.
Maybe if I add a stick right by the window he will stop it's good to know someone else has this problem lmao I just keep thinking hes gonna break one of his toe nails off

But if that ever does happen what should I do, do the nails grow back? I want to be prepared just in case

Back
Top Bottom