New cham set ups!!

Chameleonkid

Hey guys first post I just got some free time and space to start my chameleon set ups. I have one soon to be planted enclosure that has a glass front no mess besides a hole in the top for the light. I am thinking about building a screen door to replace my current glass door.

My second setup was only a 10gal but I saw a product today and thought it might work great. Its a 10gal mesh add-on which makes your 10gal a 20gal high. I am going to the Long Island reptile expo on Sunday and hopefully buy 2 chameleons. I ordered a bunch of plants and ficus trees from LLLreptile.com. Any tips would be great .

Glass front 20gal Im still going to do the side and back walls but this is what I got so far.
IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

10gal add on (Zilla)
I will be using live plants in here as well and changing the bottom to half water half land.
IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

I also picked up a ReptiFogger I use for both setups.

IMG_0553.jpg

First off, welcome to the forums!! Unfortunately I see a few things that need to be considered and adjusted with your setups.

The big setup would definitely benefit from a screen door! Might be more like an oven without one. And lots more plants and perches! Chameleons are forest dwellers and prey animals so they need to be able to feel like they are protected and can hide. Too much open space will make them feel vulnerable and stressed. You'll need perches higher so they can get closer to the UVB and basking lights. Although it looks like the big one only has room for one light at the top... The soil at the bottom will need to be covered with rocks or screen so your cham can't ingest dirt. Or is that a fake setup? Can't see it really well in the pic...I would not add sitting water to the bottom at all. It may look nice (at first) but it is just a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus and will quickly become a sink for grossness in that warm humid environment. And the crickets will drown in sitting water immediately.

The small one could use lots more plants and perches as well.

To be honest, I fear that neither of those enclosures is big enough for any of the larger, more common species like veileds or panthers. The little one definitely isn't big enough for those by far. Unless you're planning on getting babies and these will just be starter cages you may need to reconsider your plans. They may be big enough for smaller species like senegals or flapnecks, but certainly not for adult panthers or veileds. Sorry :(

I got the screen today to replace the glass door I am going to install it tonight. I did not set up either of these set ups yet this was just an idea of what I have right now. I stated before that I ordered my trees and plants from LLLreptle.com should be here Friday. I also have an array of different branches and ladders. I am aware of impaction as many of my pets can become impacted(my pacman frogs , baby leo's) the screen for the bottom comes with my order. I do plan on buying babies and will move them up when their ready for a bigger habitat. Their is space for two lights at top. Will post pics of new door in a few.

Well then it sounds like you have most of your bases covered! I didn't see you had ordered plants - that will be a great addition. :) If you're planning on getting young chams and moving them up then what you have would probably be a good start for that.

yea i always go for as small guys and this would be my first cham so I would like to see how they get their colors as they get older. I will be posting the pictures when then plants get here.

small update covered walls with coco fiber.

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Doing the sides right now I will be using this setup for Pygmy's because of the glass front.

Back
Top Bottom