New Cham seems to be Gasping

bhtjen6

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled. Unsure if it’s M/F. Got Celery (it’s name) on Monday.
  • Handling - Only when needed at this point.
  • Feeding - Hasn’t eaten yet. Have crickets dusted in calcium in a feeder cup attached to a branch in its cage. Today tried moving him to a small box with a branch and crickets (was suggested) but still didn’t eat. Have stuff ordered from a cricket place to gut load the crickets plus fresh vegis.
  • Supplements - Have the samples that came with the ZooBreeze Cham kit but no routine yet. Plan on calcium daily and then calcium w/ D3 every other week and a multivitamin once on the other weeks.
  • Watering - Currently misting manually about 4 times per day making sure greenery is dripping. Humidity has stayed around 50%. Researching what watering system to get. I did See him drinking this morning.
  • Fecal Description - Haven’t seen any.
  • History - ?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage 16x16x30
  • Lighting - using day light and UVB that came with kit currently. Have a non coiled UVB light fixture on order. What I saw Recommended on this site. Per store recc a desert night light for a little heat but reading here, that seems unnecessary.
  • Temperature - My house stays cooler so initially the temp at the bottom was in the high 60’s. Towards the top was low 70’s and basking area around 85. Have a small space heater going in the morning/evening to being bottom temp up to low 70s. I dont Have it blowing directly on the cage, just in the area.
  • Humidity - Have a humidity measurer (whatever it’s called) and it stays between 40-60%. Have coconut fiber at the bottom to help with humidity and misting really well about 4 times per day.
  • plants - all fake. Washed well before putting in the cage.
  • Placement - Cage is in our living room in a corner that isn’t drafty. It is a higher trafficked area of the house. Top of the cage is about 5 ft above the floor level.
  • Location - East Texas

Current Problem -
*How long till I should Be concerned he hasn’t eaten?
*He seems to be gasping today. I’ll try to upload my video. I cant catch what he’s doing real well but it almost sounds like a little pop when he does it.

I cant Upload the video but the pictures are:
1. Full shot of him when I was Putting him in the cage
2. He opens his mouth and makes the noise then puffs like this.
3. Then his breathing seems to be retracting.

Hopefully this makes sense! Thanks for any and all help!

Attachments

• E3149AC9-974E-4740-8329-00EB8CA928E7.jpeg
    E3149AC9-974E-4740-8329-00EB8CA928E7.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 48ACF978-7827-4FDE-BA2E-5B2B37BF1A29.png
    48ACF978-7827-4FDE-BA2E-5B2B37BF1A29.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • ADAAFCD3-EF1C-48B0-A8CA-0E39B595A218.png
    ADAAFCD3-EF1C-48B0-A8CA-0E39B595A218.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
Go to a vet. I see you started a new tbread on the same subject. Try and keep it all on one and just keep adding to it. It is easier to follow that way.

The only at home thing you can do is boost your temperatures 2-3 degrees to help boost his/her immune system. This was most likely brought on by poor husbandry at the pet store and the stress involved.

The only at home thing you can do is boost your temperatures 2-3 degrees to help boost his/her immune system. This was most likely brought on by poor husbandry at the pet store and the stress involved.
Thanks. Will gets temps up today. So raise temps and watch him or prob need to get him to a vet?

Vet would be best. Raise temps in the meantime. Call the pet store and see what they are willing to do. They may offer a replacement. I don't know how attached you are.

Vet would be best. Raise temps in the meantime. Call the pet store and see what they are willing to do. They may offer a replacement. I don't know how attached you are.

Thanks! The only exotic vet in town (super surprised we have one!) is closed on Thursday afternoons so I’ll call in the am. The petstore will replace him for 14 days. BUT I hate to just write the little guy off (and I know that’s not what you mean) if I felt Confident they would take care of him, that may be an option, but they told me really wrong info on care and I wouldnt trust them to take care of him. Thanks for the help!

Thanks! The only exotic vet in town (super surprised we have one!) is closed on Thursday afternoons so I’ll call in the am. The petstore will replace him for 14 days. BUT I hate to just write the little guy off (and I know that’s not what you mean) if I felt Confident they would take care of him, that may be an option, but they told me really wrong info on care and I wouldnt trust them to take care of him. Thanks for the help!
I wouldn't be able to do it either but it wouldn't be wrong to do that. I just wanted to give you the option.

Back
Top Bottom