New Cham Owner

guvnorlee

Hello everyone and greetings from Brunei.

I've just picked up a pair of Veiled Chameleons on Tuesday evening. From the looks of it I think they're approximately 3 months old. So I've sorted out their new terrarium with the UVB lights, wood peat, plant and some vines but am concerned with them not eating the last 48hrs.

Just a lil concerned if it potentially normal of em due to environmental changes. Been misting them with mineral water that's prepared with calcium and multivitamin complex from pet store. They seem to be drinkin off the droplets and nibbling on some of the leaves but not exactly eating them.

Tried feeding em meal works because crickets weren't available yesterday. Any advise would be much grateful.

Thank in advance

Hi, welcome to the forums! It's completely normal for your chams to be on hunger strike the first few days. The move is very stressful, and it will take them time before they'll eat.

As for your mineral water... I don't know if that's the best thing for them. I've never used it or don't recall anyone using it. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

And for new chameleon owners, it's recommended to ditch the substrate. The substrate can be a hazard, cause if your chameleon shoots a cricket on the ground and picks up wood, your chameleon won't be able to digest the wood. But but having a wood substrate has been done. Just be careful.

Hi, welcome to the forums! It's completely normal for your chams to be on hunger strike the first few days. The move is very stressful, and it will take them time before they'll eat.

As for your mineral water... I don't know if that's the best thing for them. I've never used it or don't recall anyone using it. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

And for new chameleon owners, it's recommended to ditch the substrate. The substrate can be a hazard, cause if your chameleon shoots a cricket on the ground and picks up wood, your chameleon won't be able to digest the wood. But but having a wood substrate has been done. Just be careful.

Hi Chamoman

Thanks for your valued feedback pertaining to the substrate. I've made sure that the substrate was too fine and ensured its relatively coarse but will most definitely keep a close watch on them over the next couple of weeks.

Water wise I was gonna used tap water to mix with the calcium / multivitamins which had an anti chlorine but I've had bad experience with my aquarium previously with excessive chorine content. My correction is that I'm using reverse osmosis / distill drinking water.

Now that I've got some assurance on the hunger strike I'm a lil more at ease now given that I'm at work and thinking about the poor sods.

Many thanks again.

One of my few pics and vid taken yesterday!

http://instagram.com/p/bkrbTvLViH/

http://instagram.com/p/bjeRJVLVqD/

It is recommended that you add vitamins by sprinkling it on your feeders, rather than add it to the water. It is much easier to judge the amount you are administering, which is very important.

Back
Top Bottom