New Cham owner here

Get him ventilation and make sure he is not too hot. low 70s is good.
I don't want to be mean but you just describe how to kill your chameleon. There are many things that need to be corrected. We have already know about the MBD that is probably his main issue. If somebody doesn't get to it I will write more in a bit.
If he is a falling stage You should look to a vet.

Without the back feet he/she is right in the middle. The markings seem more female to me, but at this point there could still be a change in appearance.
We want the back feet. please
Here are the back feet.. I can definitely see the mbd now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 102
Get him ventilation and make sure he is not too hot. low 70s is good.
I don't want to be mean but you just describe how to kill your chameleon. There are many things that need to be corrected. We have already know about the MBD that is probably his main issue. If somebody doesn't get to it I will write more in a bit.
If he is a falling stage You should look to a vet.
ok, thank you guys. There’s a vet about an hour away. I’m gonna make him an appointment

Hey @Beman ...it's a boy!! Nice call! That's good because of the MBD.

Info:
-Sam is a male veiled chameleon and is about 6-7 months old. He’s been in my care for about 5 months.
-when I first got him, I’d handle him quite often which, from what I’ve read, isn’t good, but I was new and happy lol (still am!)
-I feed him feeder crickets from a pet store my brother-in-law gets for his bearded dragons. When I first got him, I’d feed him 3 or 4 every night and I didn’t gutload them...TOO BAD YOU DIDN'T FEED THE INSECTS AND GUTLOAD THEM WELL...IT MIGHT HAVE HELPED.
- I used calcium powder when I first got him, but then ran out and didn’t get anymore (I know, terrible thing)....ITS LIKELY A GOOD PART OF WHY HE HAS MBD NOW....SADLY.
-Tp water him, I spray his cage with a spray bottle every 2 to 3 hours. I must his cage whenever I come in the room lol. I do see him drinking, he loves his water.

Cage info:
-It’s a glass cage with a screen top that’s 2’x 2’, I believe.
- I don’t remember the brand of lighting I’m using, but it’s a 40 watt household bulb in a hood fixture. I didn’t have much of a lighting schedule until yesterday, which I turn the light on at 10am and off at 10pm. SO JUST AN INCANDESCENT HOUSEHOLE BULB...NO UVB NO REAL SUNLIGHT? ANOTHER PART OF THE MBD ISSUE.
- I measure the temp with a temp gauge for aquariums and the average is 65-75 degrees, I believe.. It’s got a meter that has a green section and I tend to keep it in that range. The temp at night is usually 60 degrees. SO NO BASKING AREA WHERE THE TEMPERATURE WAS AT 80F?
- I’m not sure of the humidity levels or how to measure them, although I must his cage frequently.
- As for live plants, I’ve recently put a bamboo stalk in there and he seems to love it!
- He’s been in my sister about 3 months because I don’t really stay in my room upstairs. It’s about 5 and a half feet from the top of the cage to the floor.
- Were located in Roanoke, Al.

I am going to go through your form now.
Ok, thank you so much.. I’m not experienced at all and I didn’t do too much research, so I know I did many things wrong. I’m just hoping it’s not too late.. Also, he just defecated and it was diarrhea.. I know this means sickness

Ok, thank you so much.. I’m not experienced at all and I didn’t do too much research, so I know I did many things wrong. I’m just hoping it’s not too late.. Also, he just defecated and it was diarrhea.. I know this means sickness
All I can say is I have seen worse pull through. The key points will be correcting his environment. with UVB light and proper supplements ant the top of that list. It is impossible to guess at exactly what he needs without the vet. SO SLOW down don't panic. If money is limited you will want to prioritize be fore you spend.
The VET call around don't just go to who will take him, try to make sure they have experience. They will likely ,as mentioned need an x-ray, this will help them determine how much and for how long to us the liquid calcium. IF they can't elaborate on this look to another vet. I see too much money spent and wasted on unqualified vets. Give this info and you should be able to gather their experience in chameleons.

@Sharpshot214 See feedback in bold.

Info:
-Sam is a male veiled chameleon and is about 6-7 months old. He’s been in my care for about 5 months.
-when I first got him, I’d handle him quite often which, from what I’ve read, isn’t good, but I was new and happy lol (still am!)
-I feed him feeder crickets from a pet store my brother-in-law gets for his bearded dragons. When I first got him, I’d feed him 3 or 4 every night and I didn’t gutload them.. So he should have been eating much more as a baby. Right now he should be eating at least 8-12 feeders a day. They must be properly gutloaded and supplemented. Good commercial gutload. https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Burg...6&sr=1-1-18e0f783-7b71-42f0-a291-5a15b3cb969e
- I used calcium powder when I first got him, but then ran out and didn’t get anymore (I know, terrible thing) This is a have to thing. No way around it. You have to shake the bugs in the powder so they are lightly coated not powdered donuts. This needs to happen at every feeding. This is the info I gave you prior.
For supplements you want Reptivite with D3 and you would use this on all feeders given 2 times a month only say the 1st and the 15th. Then at all other feedings you use Calcium without D3 on all feeders given.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...1&sr=1-1-18e0f783-7b71-42f0-a291-5a15b3cb969e

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Calc...hout+d3.&qid=1623187237&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1

-Tp water him, I spray his cage with a spray bottle every 2 to 3 hours. I must his cage whenever I come in the room lol. I do see him drinking, he loves his water. WIth that cage your making it hot and moist which is what you do not want. They should only be misted in the morning and evening when cage temps are cooler. Then there should be a dripper during the day.

Cage info:
-It’s a glass cage with a screen top that’s 2’x 2’, I believe. MUST upgrade this to a screen enclosure. Will need a 2x2x4 in the next few months when he gets stronger. You said you bought the 18x18x36 which is good for now while he is healing.
- I don’t remember the brand of lighting I’m using, but it’s a 40 watt household bulb in a hood fixture. I didn’t have much of a lighting schedule until yesterday, which I turn the light on at 10am and off at 10pm. Did you order the T5HO light fixture I recommended? If so the branch below this fixture needs to be 8-9 inches down. This is a must have item. 40 watt household white bulb is good for heat only not uvb which they have to have or MBD happens. Lights must be kept on schedule 12 hours a day on 12 hours a day off.
- I measure the temp with a temp gauge for aquariums and the average is 65-75 degrees, I believe.. It’s got a meter that has a green section and I tend to keep it in that range. The temp at night is usually 60 degrees. Ok need a better gauge. This one with the probe tied in on the basking branch closest to the heat fixture. You want it no hotter then 80 during the day and down to 60 at night is great https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digi...d+temp+gauge+with+probe&qid=1623279858&sr=8-2
- I’m not sure of the humidity levels or how to measure them, although I must his cage frequently. Gauge linked above does both temps and humidity. Veileds should be 30-50% max daytime humidity. THis is very important.
- As for live plants, I’ve recently put a bamboo stalk in there and he seems to love it! You want branches... Not from sap producing trees. So no pine, cedar, eucalyptus. These should be avoided but pretty much any other tree you can use. This is important that they go horizontal and vertical. Use zip ties to hold the branches where you need them. You can build a frame structure with these to slide into the new cage. You need live veiled tested plants see link. Buy at home depot or lowes they are cheaper there. And 1 inch or larger stones on top of the soil of the plant so he does not eat it. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
- He’s been in my sister about 3 months because I don’t really stay in my room upstairs. It’s about 5 and a half feet from the top of the cage to the floor.

There are many many things that must be changed. I can guarantee that this little boy will die if they are not. Right now while the MBD is advanced it is not crippling him... So you can reverse the damage so it does not get worse with the right care. The bones will never be straight again. He will always show signs of prior MBD. But making sure it does not progress is really really important.

Please start reading through this entire husbandry program. I need you to understand what we are trying to teach you so that you can give him the life he deserves. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Must have right now items.... Supplements, T5HO fixture, proper cage, temp guage, Live plants, branches, and the correct amount of feeders every day.

For example... This is what we mean by enclosure set up properly. They are arboreal so they need to climb.

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
@Sharpshot214 See feedback in bold.

Info:
-I feed him feeder crickets from a pet store my brother-in-law gets for his bearded dragons. When I first got him, I’d feed him 3 or 4 every night and I didn’t gutload them.. So he should have been eating much more as a baby. Right now he should be eating at least 8-12 feeders a day. They must be properly gutloaded and supplemented. Good commercial gutload. https://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Burg...6&sr=1-1-18e0f783-7b71-42f0-a291-5a15b3cb969e
- I used calcium powder when I first got him, but then ran out and didn’t get anymore (I know, terrible thing) This is a have to thing. No way around it. You have to shake the bugs in the powder so they are lightly coated not powdered donuts. This needs to happy at every feeding. This is the info I gave you prior.
For supplements you want Reptivite with D3 and you would use this on all feeders given 2 times a month only say the 1st and the 15th. Then at all other feedings you use Calcium without D3 on all feeders given.

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...1&sr=1-1-18e0f783-7b71-42f0-a291-5a15b3cb969e

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Calc...hout+d3.&qid=1623187237&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1

-Tp water him, I spray his cage with a spray bottle every 2 to 3 hours. I must his cage whenever I come in the room lol. I do see him drinking, he loves his water. WIth that cage your making it hot and moist which is what you do not want. They should only be misted in the morning and evening when cage temps are cooler. Then there should be a dripper during the day.

Cage info:
-It’s a glass cage with a screen top that’s 2’x 2’, I believe. MUST upgrade this to a screen enclosure. Will need a 2x2x4 in the next few months when he gets stronger. You said you bought the 18x18x36 which is good for now while he is healing.
- I don’t remember the brand of lighting I’m using, but it’s a 40 watt household bulb in a hood fixture. I didn’t have much of a lighting schedule until yesterday, which I turn the light on at 10am and off at 10pm. Did you order the T5HO light fixture I recommended? If so the branch below this fixture needs to be 8-9 inches down. This is a must have item. 40 watt household white bulb is good for heat only not uvb which they have to have or MBD happens. Lights must be kept on schedule 12 hours a day on 12 hours a day off.
- I measure the temp with a temp gauge for aquariums and the average is 65-75 degrees, I believe.. It’s got a meter that has a green section and I tend to keep it in that range. The temp at night is usually 60 degrees. Ok need a better gauge. This one with the probe tied in on the basking branch closest to the heat fixture. You want it no hotter then 80 during the day and down to 60 at night is great https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Digi...d+temp+gauge+with+probe&qid=1623279858&sr=8-2
- I’m not sure of the humidity levels or how to measure them, although I must his cage frequently. Gauge linked above does both temps and humidity. Veileds should be 30-50% max daytime humidity. THis is very important.
- As for live plants, I’ve recently put a bamboo stalk in there and he seems to love it! You want branches... Not from sap producing trees. So no pine, cedar, eucalyptus. These should be avoided but pretty much any other tree you can use. This is important that they go horizontal and vertical. You can build a frame structure with these to slide into the new cage. You need live veiled tested plants see link. Buy at home depot or lowes they are cheaper there. And 1 inch or larger stones on top of the soil of the plant so he does not eat it. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

There are many many things that must be changed. I can guarantee that this little boy will die if they are not. Right now while the MBD is advanced it is not crippling him... So you can reverse the damage so it does not get worse with the right care. The bones will never be straight again. He will always show signs of prior MBD. But making sure it does not progress is really really important.

Please start reading through this entire husbandry program. I need you to understand what we are trying to teach you so that you can give him the life he deserves. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Must have right now items.... Supplements, T5HO fixture, proper cage, temp guage, Live plants, branches, and the correct amount of feeders every day.

For example... This is what we mean by enclosure set up properly. They are arboreal so they need to climb.

I did order the light you recommended and am still waiting for his cage to come in the mail. He ate a cricket earlier and then I gave him some water and what I do now, since he’s not eating well, I spray where he drinks and then blow some calcium powder on it.. I’m not sure if this is an effective method for getting it to him, but he still drinks.

I did order the light you recommended and am still waiting for his cage to come in the mail. He ate a cricket earlier and then I gave him some water and what I do now, since he’s not eating well, I spray where he drinks and then blow some calcium powder on it.. I’m not sure if this is an effective method for getting it to him, but he still drinks.
It is designed to go on feeders not in water. How are you feeding him?

It is designed to go on feeders not in water. How are you feeding him?
Oops. I’ve been trying to hand feed him, but he won’t. Then, I took him outside and placed him on a branch and he zapped at a fly. Thank goodness he didn’t get it. So I put a cricket on the branch and he ate it.

Oops. I’ve been trying to hand feed him, but he won’t. Then, I took him outside and placed him on a branch and he zapped at a fly. Thank goodness he didn’t get it. So I put a cricket on the branch and he ate it.
They typically will not handfeed unless they have that bond with you and are feeling well.

Outside in real sun will help. But you want to do this when it is not over 70-75 out or he can dehydrate. Keep him with you they are a target for other animals.

Do you have a plastic bowl? Not a bright color though? put the feeders in there. Powder them all first and put them in. Make sure he can aim down into the bowl and nab them.

They typically will not handfeed unless they have that bond with you and are feeling well.

Outside in real sun will help. But you want to do this when it is not over 70-75 out or he can dehydrate. Keep him with you they are a target for other animals.

Do you have a plastic bowl? Not a bright color though? put the feeders in there. Powder them all first and put them in. Make sure he can aim down into the bowl and nab them.
Ok. I do have a little blue bowl that’s a dark blue. I’ll try that

Oh and I didn’t take my eyes off of him out there lol. I think I got this for him. I want for his good health so much

Oh and I didn’t take my eyes off of him out there lol. I think I got this for him. I want for his good health so much
Good so if you can get him out in the sun for 30 minutes to an hour every day until the UVB light comes this will help a lot to boost how he feels because he will get the UVB from the sun. But watch the temps out there. If he is hanging his mouth open he needs shade to cool down. I do not let mine out in straight sun if it is hotter then 70 because in the sun basking it becomes much much hotter.

Start reading that website I linked for you. Time for a crash course in cham husbandry.

Ok, so he’s acting strange now. Ma said he doesn’t look too good and she saw him dangling off of the bamboo limb. She texted at first and said he was dead.. She actually thought he was dead oh lord. My heart dropped. I called and she said he’s ok, just doesn’t look good. What can I do to help him for now? Feeding wise, enclosure wise? I really don’t want to lose him
I just want to state that you are a very good chameleon parent. You are taking everyone's advice, and later on going to have a great home for your little chameleon. I was sure he was a girl at first glance, but if he has spurs then that indicates a male.

Make sure you are misting his cage frequently, and maintaining his temperature and humidity. As scary as it sounds, chameleons can go days, and some can even go weeks without eating.. chameleons will not starve themselves.

What are you using for supplements? And are you gut loading his food now? His eyes do look pretty sunken in, in your picture. That would lead to dehydration, but you said you see him drinking a lot?

He looks like a good size for growing, for his age. Maybe a little on the small side?

In my opinion, I would recommend adding some branches to the top, and throughout the enclosure. You can get these branches literally off of just trees, scrubbing them, and then letting them dry in the sun. You could attach these by mainly anything, but fishing line works the best for me. Just make sure to keep his basking area far away enough from the heat lamp, so he wont get any burn marks. And always if possible use real plants. I am attaching a photo of what plants work for chameleons.

I hope your little man gets better soon, update us with his new terrarium, and how he is doing!

2A1ED10B-43DB-4D25-B189-9387D37B2710.jpeg
D67C0539-F56C-4354-8CD9-9AB508F99764.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom